Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

3 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Attendance: 8405 

Yikes.  It'll add fuel to the fire that this is the last weekend of the AAF.

I think we should know by Thursday if games will be played next weekend.  I say Thursday, because that would be 48 hours before the games start and it will give us enough time to either discuss the demise of the league or the weekend slate of games played. It's going to be an interesting week ahead. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

We all know who the winner of the Alternate Football League Championship is going to be in five years and it's those fellas up North in Canada.  Yes, the CFL has a lot of different rules than American football, but they also use a lot of the same terminology as we do with our football down here. 

But the CFL succeeds because it's just different enough to provide a truly alternate product. Different rules means games can't end the way NFL games can (i.e. no QB kneel). It also had the good fortune of starting up in the 1950s, before the NFL was anywhere near what it is today. And the Grey Cup is like a weekend-long event, isn't it? There's one game but there's a whole bunch of events beforehand, almost like an All-Star Game or weekend.

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Yikes.  It'll add fuel to the fire that this is the last weekend of the AAF.

I think we should know by Thursday if games will be played next weekend.  I say Thursday, because that would be 48 hours before the games start and it will give us enough time to either discuss the demise of the league or the weekend slate of games played. It's going to be an interesting week ahead. 

Oh i'm so sure almost everybody and their dog will be writing their obituary this week...why havent we heard anything from Erbesol or Polian?  once i hear it from those guys i'll believe it

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

2 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Oh i'm so sure almost everybody and their dog will be writing their obituary this week...why havent we heard anything from Erbesol or Polian?  once i hear it from those guys i'll believe it

That is who I am waiting on: Ebersol or Polian.  If the league folds though it's not like many of the coaches and GM's will be out of jobs.  Rick Neuheisel can go back to his job as a studio analyst for College Football on CBS, San Antonio GM Daryl Johnston can go back to his role as a color commentator for Fox NFL Sunday.  Mike Singletary coaches high school football in Richardson, Texas.  His DC is former NFL player Dennis Thurman, who is a Cowboys analyst for the NBC station here in Dallas. 

41 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Attendance: 8405 

If the attendance between Salt Lake and Memphis was similar enough, one would think that the way announced attendance is counted is similar.

But we’ll have to see how this league fares in the weeks, nay, days ahead.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Anyone remember during the start of the Iraq War a member of Saddam Hussein's Government known as "Baghdad Bob?"  I get the feeling that's who Bill Polian is going to be this week if he denies the league is folding.

26 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Anyone remember during the start of the Iraq War a member of Saddam Hussein's Government known as "Baghdad Bob?"  

I remember clear as day.  Made my comment about Baghdad Bob before I saw yours.

15 minutes ago, tp49 said:

I remember clear as day.  Made my comment about Baghdad Bob before I saw yours.

That is who I think Bill Polian is going to be if he has to deny the league is folding.

Also, if an announcement is made on Monday, don't take it seriously, as Monday is April Fools.  Wait until Tuesday.

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the biggest takeaway is identifying which general managers actually take this seriously and which guys figured a few free tickets were all they needed to get people in. San Antonio put their name on fundraising efforts for school districts and have been pretty active using social media to show them in the community. I've seen social media from all of the teams but not to the extent I've seen from SA. The league mobile app is missing a lot of functions that other apps have, like tracking the stats of the games, not just the tracking software they use for their play predictor. 

San Antonio also had the slight advantage of hosting every team for a month for training camp and 30 days of greater media coverage of the entire league, including visits and media availability of the (then) top execs in Ebersol and Polian right before the tart of the season.

9 hours ago, Quillz said:

But the CFL succeeds because it's just different enough to provide a truly alternate product. 

And because it has an entirely separate and distinct market.

If the AAF was trying to bring football to a whole new country, instead of foraging for the crumbs left on the floor by the NFL and NCAA, then they’d be in a much better spot than they are now. 

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

That is who I am waiting on: Ebersol or Polian.  If the league folds though it's not like many of the coaches and GM's will be out of jobs.  Rick Neuheisel can go back to his job as a studio analyst for College Football on CBS, San Antonio GM Daryl Johnston can go back to his role as a color commentator for Fox NFL Sunday.  Mike Singletary coaches high school football in Richardson, Texas.  His DC is former NFL player Dennis Thurman, who is a Cowboys analyst for the NBC station here in Dallas. 

Plus the players will have the XFL or maybe some of them will land on CFL or Get nfl camp invites. I would love to see a AAF/XFL merger but that’s wishful thinking or at the very least the xfl take in the 4 best AAF franchises (Orlando SA SD and Birmingham) do a draft of the remaining players from the dropped 4 teams to the existing 8 XFL franchises. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Archived