Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Manziel coming to San Antonio, even if he's on the bench, could've hit 35,000 people. 

He doesn't have 35,000 girlfriends.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

24 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

And Charlie Ebersol gets himself added to the "People who won't go to prison, but probably should" list.

And the,"Guy most likely to screw up bigger than his dad" award.

32 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

kh2HUxq.jpg

When they didn't go on sale this morning that's when I knew the shutdown was coming. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/31/2019 at 12:37 PM, buzzcut said:

Next weekend?

I was right.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

He doesn't have 35,000 girlfriends.

If you've seen the Facebook group, he has about 10,000. That and 25,000 Commanders fans would have been interesting to see.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yes, you read it six posts above yours on this page of this thread.

Six posts above mine is something about Manziel's girlfriends.

Anyway, I read the bit about Ebersol elsewhere; though I admit that I don't remember exactly where.

Just now, dfwabel said:

It isn't his [Ebersol's] money being lost.

That's true.  But it also isn't his fault that the plug is apparently being pulled.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Clearly it was the Ebersol side that was holding back the original XFL. Vince McMahon, the Genetic Jackhammer himself, clearly pulled that league through a whole season in spite of the elder Ebersol. The New XFL will definitely be a huge success now and nobody has any doubts whatsoever.

Wow even the original XFL manged to make it past 1 full season. 

Sounds like Dundon is pulling Trump and tanking the league for not going along with his selfish ambitions. 

I always thought the AAF & XFL should have launched at the same time, the competition may have been better for them. 

It's a shame the league is apparently shutting down. But, it really is a case study that you need an actual financial plan and to plan on losing at least tens of millions. Oh, and actually market your team in said markets. It's not a coincidence that San Antonio was the only market to succeed as it was the only team in the AAF that thought "Maybe this advertising idea isn't so overrated?"

Honestly? If Vince plays his cards right, the XFL will at least finish its first season and maybe a second (especially if looks like there's a strike/lockout come 2021).

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's true.  But it also isn't his fault that the plug is apparently being pulled.

Charlie Ebersol had this league fully funded for three years, he excitedly told everybody. Then he needed a quarter-billion-dollar bailout from a guy who made his fortune in subprime auto loans so Week 1's checks could clear. It was his idea. It is his fault. It is his books that should have a good rifling through by an army of lawyers and/or federal agents.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Six posts above mine is something about Manziel's girlfriends.

Anyway, I read the bit about Ebersol elsewhere; though I admit that I don't remember exactly where.

4 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Charlie Ebersol had this league fully funded for three years, he excitedly told everybody. Then he needed a quarter-billion-dollar bailout from a guy who made his fortune in subprime auto loans so Week 1's checks could clear. It was his idea. It is his fault. It is his books that should have a good rifling through by an army of lawyers and/or federal agents.

I tend to agree with this as Ebersol was the one to tour everything from soup to nuts regarding the company's liquidity to how groundbreaking the app would be and couldn't deliver and was out of money by week 1*  when folks weren't buying tickets for a gate driven enterprise.   I noticed that CNBC was discussing the AAF minutes ago. I'll try to post it if available.

*- Unless you still believe that changing payroll provider line

Archived