Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

It's a shame the league is apparently shutting down. But, it really is a case study that you need an actual financial plan and to plan on losing at least tens of millions. Oh, and actually market your team in said markets. It's not a coincidence that San Antonio was the only market to succeed as it was the only team in the AAF that thought "Maybe this advertising idea isn't so overrated?"

Honestly? If Vince plays his cards right, the XFL will at least finish its first season and maybe a second (especially if looks like there's a strike/lockout come 2021).

If Vince McMahon were honest, he'd drop the proposal to relaunch immediately.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

It's a shame the league is apparently shutting down. But, it really is a case study that you need an actual financial plan and to plan on losing at least tens of millions. Oh, and actually market your team in said markets. It's not a coincidence that San Antonio was the only market to succeed as it was the only team in the AAF that thought "Maybe this advertising idea isn't so overrated?"

Honestly? If Vince plays his cards right, the XFL will at least finish its first season and maybe a second (especially if looks like there's a strike/lockout come 2021).

Honestly, I picture Goodell in his Park Avenue office reveling with fiendish glee over the AAF folding since the Alliance took attention away from his own league.

2 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I'd say the Alliance while it lasted was a breath of fresh air.

Up and gone like a fart in the wind.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

8 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Honestly, I picture Goodell in his Park Avenue office reveling with fiendish glee over the AAF folding since the Alliance took attention away from his own league.

I don't think this is very honest at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

This bears repeating. 

Is that Jonah from Superstore?

(Am I the only one who knows that actor as Jonah from Superstore? Is that disqualifying?)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

22 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

If Vince McMahon were honest, he'd drop the proposal to relaunch immediately.

Vince is stubborn. Hell, if it weren't for not finding a TV deal, he would've gone ahead for year 2 of the XFL.

I can't imagine that being 20 years older has made him any less stubborn. And the fact that he's drummed up around half a billion in available capital tells me he isn't going to just cut and run like Dundon is.

1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

Is that Jonah from Superstore?

(Am I the only one who knows that actor as Jonah from Superstore? Is that disqualifying?)

He's the lawyer in Silicon Valley as well.  I like Superstore, though.

As for the AAF... It's a little disappointing, though not terribly surprising.  I was hoping they could at least make it through an entire season.

IUe6Hvh.png

41 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Why is it a shame? Is it because it was woefuly underfunded from the beginning and was doomed on that basis?

It's where I sit.

I just hope some of the players from the league who were doing well can get a camp call up & make a roster spot. I was hoping it would have succeeded because a lot of these players on those rosters needed game action & development. Some players just need more development after college.

I knew the league was folding when they abruptly moved the championship game from Las Vegas to Texas.

What I also learned was that Ebersol and company either grossly underestimated the amount of capital needed to operate the league or he was an amateur snake oil salesman or both.

Archived