mr.nascar13

Death of the Alliance of American Football

12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

It's a shame the league is apparently shutting down. But, it really is a case study that you need an actual financial plan and to plan on losing at least tens of millions. Oh, and actually market your team in said markets. It's not a coincidence that San Antonio was the only market to succeed as it was the only team in the AAF that thought "Maybe this advertising idea isn't so overrated?"

Honestly? If Vince plays his cards right, the XFL will at least finish its first season and maybe a second (especially if looks like there's a strike/lockout come 2021).

If Vince McMahon were honest, he'd drop the proposal to relaunch immediately.

15 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

It's a shame the league is apparently shutting down. But, it really is a case study that you need an actual financial plan and to plan on losing at least tens of millions. Oh, and actually market your team in said markets. It's not a coincidence that San Antonio was the only market to succeed as it was the only team in the AAF that thought "Maybe this advertising idea isn't so overrated?"

Honestly? If Vince plays his cards right, the XFL will at least finish its first season and maybe a second (especially if looks like there's a strike/lockout come 2021).

Honestly, I picture Goodell in his Park Avenue office reveling with fiendish glee over the AAF folding since the Alliance took attention away from his own league.

1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

Honestly, I picture Goodell in his Park Avenue office reveling with fiendish glee over the AAF folding since the Alliance took attention away from his own league.

But did it though, other than in a “lolcow”-ish way?

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

But did it though, other than in a “lolcow”-ish way?

I'd say the Alliance while it lasted was a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Sky Judge will live on.

But then again, if owners say no to Sky Judge, then fans should just stop complaining about bad calls:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/01/coaches-pushed-for-sky-judge-owners-said-no/

2 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I'd say the Alliance while it lasted was a breath of fresh air.

Up and gone like a fart in the wind.

8 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I don't think this is very honest at all.

I can’t imagine Goodell even began to notice the AAF. 

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

This bears repeating. 

Is that Jonah from Superstore?

(Am I the only one who knows that actor as Jonah from Superstore? Is that disqualifying?)

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

If Vince McMahon were honest, he'd drop the proposal to relaunch immediately.

Vince is stubborn. Hell, if it weren't for not finding a TV deal, he would've gone ahead for year 2 of the XFL.

I can't imagine that being 20 years older has made him any less stubborn. And the fact that he's drummed up around half a billion in available capital tells me he isn't going to just cut and run like Dundon is.

Edited by Red Comet

38 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Wow even the original XFL manged to make it past 1 full season.

NBC was a co-owner as well as broadcaster.  There was never any chance that the XFL wasn't going to finish out its television schedule regardless of ratings.

11 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I can’t imagine Goodell even began to notice the AAF. 

Nor does he seem to notice legit gripes about his league's officiating.

Seems more like he hypothetically told Saints fans to "get over it" after that playoff loss to the Rams.

Folks, this is why no one in Orlando cared. Because we all knew this would happen. It’s happened too many times.

1 minute ago, DG_Now said:

Is that Jonah from Superstore?

(Am I the only one who knows that actor as Jonah from Superstore? Is that disqualifying?)

He's the lawyer in Silicon Valley as well.  I like Superstore, though.

As for the AAF... It's a little disappointing, though not terribly surprising.  I was hoping they could at least make it through an entire season.

41 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Why is it a shame? Is it because it was woefuly underfunded from the beginning and was doomed on that basis?

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

Why is it a shame? Is it because it was woefuly underfunded from the beginning and was doomed on that basis?

Because I actually enjoyed watching the product despite all of the off-field issues? 

I just hope some of the players from the league who were doing well can get a camp call up & make a roster spot. I was hoping it would have succeeded because a lot of these players on those rosters needed game action & development. Some players just need more development after college.

Just now, Red Comet said:

Because I actually enjoyed watching the product despite all of the off-field issues? 

Yeah so did I.

I hoped the Fleet would stick around longer just to stick it to Spanos.

I knew the league was folding when they abruptly moved the championship game from Las Vegas to Texas.

What I also learned was that Ebersol and company either grossly underestimated the amount of capital needed to operate the league or he was an amateur snake oil salesman or both.