Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

1 minute ago, WBeltz said:

I just hope some of the players from the league who were doing well can get a camp call up & make a roster spot. I was hoping it would have succeeded because a lot of these players on those rosters needed game action & development. Some players just need more development after college.

Another reason that folding NFL Europe is something I can never forgive Goodell for.

At least we still have the CFL and the upcoming XFL.

9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Folks, this is why no one in Orlando cared. Because we all knew this would happen. It’s happened too many times.

...and Memphis, and Birmingham, and Salt Lake City, and Phoenix, and Atlanta.

28 minutes ago, tp49 said:

I knew the league was folding when they abruptly moved the championship game from Las Vegas to Texas.

What I also learned was that Ebersol and company either grossly underestimated the amount of capital needed to operate the league or he was an amateur snake oil salesman or both.

He repeatedly told news outlets that they had "3 to 5 years" of backing BEFORE Dundon.

Head Ball Coach mentioned that today as well.

“Everyone was led to believe that the Alliance was well funded and we could play three years without making and money and this, that and the other. Obviously, everything that was said was not very truthful.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/open-mike/os-sp-aaf-suspends-operations-spurrier-apollos-20190402-story,amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

51 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Because I actually enjoyed watching the product despite all of the off-field issues? 

I enjoyed watching it, too, knowing it was what it was - minor league football. That may have been too high a guess, as it appears more like the semi-pro leagues that I have been involved in.

Does anyone still think the single uniform per team was anything other than a money saving move?

53 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Another reason that folding NFL Europe is something I can never forgive Goodell for.

At least we still have the CFL and the upcoming XFL.

The CFL will be the last one left when all is said and done, even if they don't add the Atlantic Schooners. 

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

Clearly it was the Ebersol side that was holding back the original XFL. Vince McMahon, the Genetic Jackhammer himself, clearly pulled that league through a whole season in spite of the elder Ebersol. The New XFL will definitely be a huge success now and nobody has any doubts whatsoever.

NBC wanted out as soon as week 2 interfered with SNL. After that they were just committed to going through with it as little as required. Probably the agreement between them and WWE required a huge payout if one side opted out. 

57 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Vince is stubborn. Hell, if it weren't for not finding a TV deal, he would've gone ahead for year 2 of the XFL.

I can't imagine that being 20 years older has made him any less stubborn. And the fact that he's drummed up around half a billion in available capital tells me he isn't going to just cut and run like Dundon is.

VM did have a TV deal lined up. But he'd have to sacrifice some of the profit from Smackdown to get it. That was also a time before DVRS were everywhere and streaming was even a thing. 

48 minutes ago, tp49 said:

I knew the league was folding when they abruptly moved the championship game from Las Vegas to Texas.

What I also learned was that Ebersol and company either grossly underestimated the amount of capital needed to operate the league or he was an amateur snake oil salesman or both.

If you're going to fold, why even pretend to move the game? It's clear Jerry Jones saw something about the AAF he liked (wore their hat during the combine), so offering a deal to get your venue an extra event isn't unreasonable. 

Also, officially, the NFL owners are only allowed to own teams in the AFL. That was a special exemption made long ago. So, any savior from the NFL would have to be the league as a whole being involved. And that wasn't happening. 

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I enjoyed watching it, too, knowing it was what it was - minor league football. That may have been too high a guess, as it appears more like the semi-pro leagues that I have been involved in.

Does anyone still think the single uniform per team was anything other than a money saving move?

Yes. Especially when Orlando's alternate had Titans numbers on it. 

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Let's not get carried away. It sucks for a few people in San Diego.

And quite a few in San Antonio. I'm happy I'm only out the 20 bucks I paid for this weekend's game. But I was hoping to have that last home game with my kid.

Just now, GDAWG said:

The CFL will be the last one left when all is said and done, even if they don't add the Atlantic Schooners. 

They're not in the US. I don't see the utility of calling them minor league football. There's leagues throughout Europe. Some teams are decently successful (Vienna Vikings, Bergamo Lions, London Olympians, Hamburg Blue Devils, etc. 

Might not be to the success of cfl, but if we're counting other countries, should count them all. 

2 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

They're not in the US. I don't see the utility of calling them minor league football. There's leagues throughout Europe. Some teams are decently successful (Vienna Vikings, Bergamo Lions, London Olympians, Hamburg Blue Devils, etc. 

Might not be to the success of cfl, but if we're counting other countries, should count them all. 

Speaking of which, the CFL looking to expand their talent pool into Europe is a smart move. 

Just now, GDAWG said:

So this will probably be tied up in the courts for years. 

I imagine the vendors are going to sue him too for not paying them. Not to mention that there was another person suing Ebersol for allegedly stealing the idea for the AAF from him. Whole thing is going to be a 30 for 30 in the near future, I bet.