mr.nascar13

Death of the Alliance of American Football

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

I cannot wait for the XFL to kick off next year and DC United fans blaming Vince McMahon for ruining Audi Field

Why? They'll be right.

I'm premptively pissed the Sounders will be sharing a field with XFL Seattle. This is unacceptable:

seattle-sounders-field-600x450.jpg

On 4/3/2019 at 7:48 PM, neo_prankster said:

I'd say we should have a spin-off thread to throw around ideas.

It may not be a bad idea.

It’s fascinating to look back on the USFL and the ABA to see what worked and what didn’t.

One point both leagues got was the need to create new stars that weren’t just rejects of the other league.

One thing to keep in mind is that the average NFL player was only making 100K when the USFL came into existence. The average team wasn’t worth $2.5 billion either.

You still need that new star element, but the way you go about it needs to be more creative, because you will not win a bidding war for any player the NFL wants.

A big reason why I would want to get away from NFL rules is to not make it an apples to apples comparison, because I can’t win that game or even come close.

Any new league needs to be different, because the circumstances that gave rise to the USFL aren’t the same.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Why? They'll be right.

I'm premptively pissed the Sounders will be sharing a field with XFL Seattle. This is unacceptable:

Where else are the DC and Seattle XFL teams supposed to play if the MLS teams are that petulant about the fields? San Antonio? Birmingham? Memphis? Orlando? San Diego?

Hearing some horror stories about how they shut down. This is the Fyre Fest of pro sports leagues. 

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Why? They'll be right.

seattle-sounders-field-600x450.jpg

Does Seattle have the Seahawks trademarks and NFL lines from March to August?

18 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Hearing some horror stories about how they shut down. This is the Fyre Fest of pro sports leagues. 

I would like to hear these horror stories in more detail, please. 

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I'd say we should have a spin-off thread to throw around ideas.

Nah. I'd say the NHL and NBA will each have another lockout before we accept defeat. Speaking of lockouts, the 2004-05 NHL lockout should've helped the Arena League.

That lockout happened right after the old AFL's "Emperor has no Clothes" moment-folding a perfectly viable Indiana Firebirds franchise because its sale price was about a quarter of the going rate for an expansion team.  That burned a lot of goodwill (and axing 2 other teams in the same offseason didn't help either.

44 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

We live in a time of Fyre Festivals of everything. Late Capitalism Fever....catch it!

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

We live in a time of Fyre Festivals of everything. 

It hurts deeply just how true this is. 

Maybe Dundon can sell Canes to a more competent owner to get his money back

9 minutes ago, nickp91 said:

Maybe Dundon can sell Canes to a more competent owner to get his money back

Quebecor?

I'd be clapping my hands and sliding around on my ass if that happened for sure.

7 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Where else are the DC and Seattle XFL teams supposed to play if the MLS teams are that petulant about the fields? 

Petulant?  :rolleyes:

Well, it seems Ebersol ran out of money before Week 1 and was paying AAF staff/people rather than vendors.  That "changing payroll vendors" might be more like they received an emergency line of credit or a promissory note after Week 1.  And Polian's line now just appears to be, "Well, I was just the football guy".

Ebersol was the guy claiming the league had tons of money, right?

21 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Ebersol was the guy claiming the league had tons of money, right?

Yes. 

Ebersol was on Andrew Brandt's "Business of Sports" podcast originally out on February 5, describing his rounds of funding and loosely talked about his investors.  He did mention Silicon Valley investors (Peter Theil's Founders Fund), a former professional sports owner (now revealed to be Reggie Fowler) and name dropped Shaq as those who invested in the AAF's parent company...Ebersol's Legendary Field Exhibitions, LLC.

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

No, but they may soon have XFL marks on the field for a good chunk of that time.

I'm not sure if you know what point you're trying to make.

11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Nope.

spacer.png

This was Late July 2012.