mr.nascar13

Death of the Alliance of American Football

13 minutes ago, TheYellowWolfMC said:

:censored: Tom Dundon. If Jerry Jones buys the AAF, and saves it, I'll be a Cowboys fan. Yes, I know, that's heresy of the highest order. 

I almost felt like Jones wanted to buy in and control the league. May have been warned off when he opened the books though. 

1 hour ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I read Perlman's book first. Reeth's tends to delve in  deeper. I strongly believe had the USFL not invited Oldenburg, etc. into the league, and had not expanded, www would still have the league today. I really enjoyed going to Generals games.

If you can scare up a copy, try The $1 League by Jim Byrne. It's a hoot, the first (and only, for a long time) look at what happened.

Downside: It starts at $100 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/league-rise-fall-USFL/dp/0133317609/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=%241+league+usfl&qid=1554400587&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr

I snapped up a copy for around $40 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

If you can scare up a copy, try The $1 League by Jim Byrne. It's a hoot, the first (and only, for a long time) look at what happened.

Downside: It starts at $100 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/league-rise-fall-USFL/dp/0133317609/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=%241+league+usfl&qid=1554400587&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr

I snapped up a copy for around $40 years ago. 

I read that book by borrowing it from the library.  You can see whether it is available in your local library at this site.

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Well, it seems Ebersol ran out of money before Week 1 and was paying AAF staff/people rather than vendors.  That "changing payroll vendors" might be more like they received an emergency line of credit or a promissory note after Week 1.  And Polian's line now just appears to be, "Well, I was just the football guy".

This is what I thought happened when the word of the payroll issues came out the first week.  Ebersol and company in their rush to beat the XFL to the starting gate came out woefully or most likely fatally undercapitalized probably figuring they could hold the ship together with duct tape and string until either they folded or found a savior.  I don't think they planned on modern-day Carl Ichan type swooping in like a vulture but desperation does things to people.  So while I wouldn't call Ebersol a fraudster, my view of him as an inept snake oil salesman seem spot on.

1 hour ago, Matthew24 said:

I kinda feel that investing to a new American football league is just a waste of time. No one cares. There NFL, CFL and all the arena leagues. 

It just too much to start a new league. I don't see another AFL to come out to successful as the NFL. Time has change. 

Short of at least 1 deranged billionaire being involved and willing to lose lots of money for a few years, I don't see how any start up 11 man football league could work. 

Conveniently, the XFL is the creation of a deranged billionaire. 

20 minutes ago, RichO said:

Short of at least 1 deranged billionaire being involved and willing to lose lots of money for a few years, I don't see how any start up 11 man football league could work. 

Conveniently, the XFL is the creation of a deranged billionaire. 

True... Funny how life works. 

there's also the Freedom Football League, Pacific Pro League and American Patriot League coming out in 2020.

1 hour ago, TheYellowWolfMC said:

:censored: Tom Dundon. If Jerry Jones buys the AAF, and saves it, I'll be a Cowboys fan. Yes, I know, that's heresy of the highest order. 

NFL rules forbid an owner from owning a team in another football league..... Except the AFL. And that exception was only made years ago in the original AFL when the NFL owned an option to purchase up to 49.9% of the league that they eventually passed on. 

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

there's also the Freedom Football League, Pacific Pro League and American Patriot League coming out in 2020.

I wouldn't be too sure about any of those.

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I wouldn't be too sure about any of those.

I don't think any of those leagues kick off, although the Pacific Pro League has an interesting concept.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

(Despite the perfuntory response that that bum sent to me after I had sent him a well-reasoned and brilliantly-argued e-mail following an appearance of his on a podcast.  Aaaanyway...

If your e-mails are anything like your posts, you're lucky you didn't get a flaming bag of poop on your doorstep as a response.

EDIT: Never mind, went back a page, need your address.

Arizona GM Phil Savage speaks.

Savage still touts the Polian and Ebersol "three-year plan" and says his roster had 12 players who turned down Futures contracts for the opportunity to get film.

52 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:
4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

(Despite the perfuntory response that that bum sent to me after I had sent him a well-reasoned and brilliantly-argued e-mail following an appearance of his on a podcast.  Aaaanyway...

If your e-mails are anything like your posts, you're lucky you didn't get a flaming bag of poop on your doorstep as a response.

My e-mails are very much like my posts (only longer).  For this I deserve nothing less than hearty congratulations, and sometimes even a big kiss.

So not only are the players out of jobs, but the league left them on the hook for their unpaid housing bills.

None of the owners should ever be allowed to participate in a sporting league again.  Or even ever have employees again.

I hope they drag T Dumbdumb through court over this and bankrupt him.

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

As a Chiefs fan, we'll take all the help we can get on defense.

A contributor to Forbes wrote an article on why the AAF didn't last using the 4 P's of the Marketing Mix.

The Product

If AT&T made a commercial with the AAF it would have to be that the product was "just ok." True, the players and coaches are the best the league could get. As much as you and I might like the people in the AAF, the best players and coaches are in the NFL.

The Place

What about the AAF? Aside from Atlanta (24,333, Georgia State Stadium), teams played in cavernous older stadiums ranging in capacity from 44,206 (Orlando, Spectrum Stadium) to 71,594 (Birmingham, Legion Field). Most are on university campuses.  Average attendance through the eight weeks was 15,292, with Arizona and Salt Lake averaging below 10,000. Even the best crowds (San Antonio with 27,721) left stadiums half-empty, or half-full, dependent on what's in your glass at the moment.

The Promotion

The AAF gambled that in-game betting would boost engagement. Sports gambling is driven by data and passion. Fantasy leagues are popular because the wealth of historical data gives fans reason to think they can outplay the odds. Betting on sports relies heavily on fan passion for specific star players and teams. With limited historical data and limited passion for players that missed the NFL, it turns out to be more of a crap shoot.

The Price

Perceived value is what one gets for what one gives. Given the product, place, and promotion, not enough fans were willing to spend $15 to $185 (Arizona's price range) to attend a game. By all appearances, even those who bought were not likely to show, as the slim announced crowds at times doubled those on hand. The view from the stands or the sofa make it difficult to convince buyers they need to attend or watch.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/04/devante-bausby-signs-with-broncos/

Another Alliance of American Football player has signed with an NFL team.

The Broncos reached agreement with cornerback De’Vante Bausby, Nicki Jhabvala of TheAthletic.com reports.

Bausby, 26, played for the San Antonio Commanders.

He has spent time with the Bears, Chiefs and Eagles, originally signing with Kansas City as an undrafted free agent out of Pittsburg State in 2015.

He played four games with the Bears in 2016 and six with the Eagles in 2018. He made one start last season.

Bausby has 26 career tackles.