Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I think somebody else mentioned already, the fact that AAF players are signing contracts with the NFL (even if they are relatively small contracts) proves that the AAF was working in terms of showcasing talent that deserved a second chance, which makes its collapse all the more sad.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

17 minutes ago, Maroon said:

As I think somebody else mentioned already, the fact that AAF players are signing contracts with the NFL (even if they are relatively small contracts) proves that the AAF was working in terms of showcasing talent that deserved a second chance, which makes its collapse all the more sad.

At the rate these signings are going, I would expect that Manziel and Richardson won't be signed by any NFL teams. 

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

At the rate these signings are going, I would expect that Manziel and Richardson won't be signed by any NFL teams. 

I might see someone use Trent Richardson as a short-yardage back but he wouldn't likely get anything above a one year deal for half a million.

15 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Just as long as no one decides to sign Hackenberg.  

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

Just as long as no one decides to sign Hackenberg.  

Express were the only team I watched consistently. If anything, Hackenberg's time in the AAF confirmed that he is not fit to be a QB for a professional football team.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

I read somewhere that the AAF reached out to the XFL about a merger. If so, who would the XFL take? I would think 10 teams is too much for year 1.  San Antonio wouldn't work because of Houston and Dallas. San Diego? Orlando is too close to Tampa bay and the XFL 1.0 had the Rage.

2 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I read somewhere that the AAF reached out to the XFL about a merger. If so, who would the XFL take? I would think 10 teams is too much for year 1.  San Antonio wouldn't work because of Houston and Dallas. San Diego? Orlando is too close to Tampa bay and the XFL 1.0 had the Rage.

The XFL was clear it wanted teams in NFL markets before they even announced cities. The AAF avoided NFL markets. The only exception to the XFL's strategy is St. Louis, which is a former NFL host city. Based on that general concept, San Diego and Atlanta seem the most likely, since one is a former NFL market and the other is an NFL market. So that's my guess, at least, as much as it's worth.

MZnWkGU.png

21 minutes ago, Maroon said:

The XFL was clear it wanted teams in NFL markets before they even announced cities. The AAF avoided NFL markets. The only exception to the XFL's strategy is St. Louis, which is a former NFL host city. Based on that general concept, San Diego and Atlanta seem the most likely, since one is a former NFL market and the other is an NFL market. So that's my guess, at least, as much as it's worth.

The Hotshots played in Phoenix, also an NFL market.

3 hours ago, Maroon said:

Going to your answer on Q3, why do you think that was? It seems interesting the AAF didn't do more to market at the local level, when ticket sales would be one of the initial ways to make money considering the TV deal wasn't bringing in income. Why do you think the focus was on the national AAF brand rather than marketing teams to locals?

I have no idea honestly. I never dealt with the marketing team, outside of those working on Instagram and Twitter. But even they were concerned with a lack of traditional advertisement. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I didn't ask if it affected you, because we know it didn't affect the staff.  But it did affect the players and coaches, and Ebersol lied about it.  Unless you also believe that he gave away control of his league for an influx of cash that he didn't actually need?

What we were always told was that Dundon was always interested in investing in the league, but was unsure if it would be worth investing in. After the first week of games, he was sold on the product and, at that point, decided to invest. The pay glitch and the time in which he chose to invest were a coincidence. The league shut down has nothing to do with a lack of cash, but a lack of interest from Dundon. All he wanted was our tracking technology so he can put it in a damn hockey puck. He was never interested in the football or anyone involved, he just wanted to legally take the tech for a steal.

8 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

What we were always told was that Dundon was always interested in investing in the league, but was unsure if it would be worth investing in. After the first week of games, he was sold on the product and, at that point, decided to invest. The pay glitch and the time in which he chose to invest were a coincidence. 

Hell of a “coincidence”, that he decided to invest right when they had a cash shortage and were desperate enough to hand over control of the league to him. :rolleyes:

I don’t doubt that’s what you were told, at all. But it doesn’t pass the smell test.  More of Ebersol’s lies, like the lie that they were fully funded going in to the season.

Its not surprising, actually.  They wanted to be a tech company, not a football league. And the rule of tech companies, as anyone who’s seen The Inventor knows, is “fake it til you make it.”  Lie and keep lying until you can actually make good on your claims.  They were seemingly all-in. 

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Social media is cheap, as advertising goes.  Might have something to do with it. 

Polian was basically on ESPN two to three times a week and for a year it seemed like Ebersol was either being interviewed nationally or locally too.

Archived