Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I'll believe that when the players announce they've been fully reimbursed.  Because if the league wanted to pay the bill, they could have just paid the bill.

Exactly what I was thinking. Are they really going to reimburse or are they just now putting out some PR statement because the news broke?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I have no idea honestly. I never dealt with the marketing team, outside of those working on Instagram and Twitter. But even they were concerned with a lack of traditional advertisement. 

Indeed, we live in Metro Atlanta, and the lack of traditional promotion for the Legends was noticeable to me. No billboard promotion around Atlanta, 92.9, our big sports talk station rarely discussed the AAF, if ever.

2 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I read somewhere that the AAF reached out to the XFL about a merger. If so, who would the XFL take? I would think 10 teams is too much for year 1.  San Antonio wouldn't work because of Houston and Dallas. San Diego? Orlando is too close to Tampa bay and the XFL 1.0 had the Rage.

There's a change.org petition floating around begging him to bring all the cities back in 2021, but I had heard that AAF went to McMahon before Durdon but he saw they weren't close to posing a threat so he passed. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Really shows you that the AAF already had the players to field a competently competitive league. Yes, these are camp bodies but the number of AAF refugees that have gotten work is amazing to me.

Yet few folks paid face value to see these dudes.

Really shows non-NFL football gets a small audience of folks to show up and pay for it. 

8 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Really shows you that the AAF already had the players to field a competently competitive league. Yes, these are camp bodies but the number of AAF refugees that have gotten work is amazing to me.

This statement contradicts itself.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Meh...

Also from Rovell,

When MGM invested money into the AAF’s tech business last June, it included a provision that would give MGM the rights to own the tech if the AAF went out of business.

Sources confirmed the deal after The Action Network discovered evidence of a financing lien filed with the Delaware Secretary of State.

The lien, filed in October, gave MGM rights to the technology’s intellectual property, including trademarks, copyrights, patents, software and firmware.

But keep in mind that MGM and Dundon have been business partners since 2015 with Topgolf being at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The phrase that the players "... may now exercise their NFL-out clauses..." seems to imply that the league intends to hold players to their contracts even though the AAF is gone and the players aren't getting paid? Are they going to try and keep AAF players out of the XFL?

So basically this was a big business move for Dundon to take all of the technology and nothing more. Nice to see corporate :censored:s always making a buck off of someone else's pain. I think the Hurricanes have won over my NHL Franchise FU Award. The Penguins don't look so bad now.

17 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

So basically this was a big business move for Dundon to take all of the technology and nothing more. Nice to see corporate :censored:s always making a buck off of someone else's pain. I think the Hurricanes have won over my NHL Franchise FU Award. The Penguins don't look so bad now.

If that’s his plan, and it appears to be, then he might have bungled it.  Reportedly MGM Grand has right of first refusal on the technology.   And even if they don’t exercise it, a bankruptcy court may rule that the tech has to be sold to satisfy the league’s debts; the majority owner can’t just hold on to the assets he wants while stiffing his creditors. 

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If that’s his plan, and it appears to be, then he might have bungled it.  Reportedly MGM Grand has right of first refusal on the technology.   And even if they don’t exercise it, a bankruptcy court may rule that the tech has to be sold to satisfy the league’s debts; the majority owner can’t just hold on to the assets he wants while stiffing his creditors. 

Yep, as I linked to Rovell's story yesterday.

As for the former team presidents, they've got lots of idle time this weekend as Twitter illustrates.

Commanders fans are organizing a send off barbeque for the team. About 600 people even went and tailgated at the stadium and some of the players that are local came out to see them. I really hope XFL Houston and Dallas took notes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Moose move tk Dallas if he wants to keep trying his hand at management.

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Yep, as I linked to Rovell's story yesterday.

As for the former team presidents, they've got lots of idle time this weekend as Twitter illustrates.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived