Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

Just now, kmccarthy27 said:

I was staring at the box of AAF trading cards this past weekend at Target trying to decide if I should grab some. 

Someone's already trying to sell the full size Riddell helmets for $300 apiece but I'm pretty sure it's the replicas and not the regulation style helmets. I might swing by Dicks later and see what they have, if it wasn't already hidden in the back to send somewhere else. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kmccarthy27 said:

I was staring at the box of AAF trading cards this past weekend at Target trying to decide if I should grab some. 

I bought two boxes at Walmart as a souvenir. Ended up with 165/175 cards and one signature card (Tim Lewis of Birmingham). A few other special cards as well. A nice little momento. 

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The last four players played in the AAF.

Sure. Now is the time that rosters expand to 90. This really isn't a big deal, but I'll bet what isn't trumpeted come September 1 is whether or not these guys make the roster.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Sure. Now is the time that rosters expand to 90. This really isn't a big deal, but I'll bet what isn't trumpeted come September 1 is whether or not these guys make the roster.

It may not be a big deal to us, but to the AAF players, it's a huge deal, especially after all the off the field mess they had to go through.  These players will have some stability for the next few months. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/cardinals-keep-rodney-gunter-add-two-from-aaf/

After drawing some interest elsewhere, free agent defensive tackle Rodney Gunter will stay in Arizona.

Gunter has signed a one-year deal, the team announced today. He visited the Packers last week.

The 27-year-old Gunter was drafted by the Cardinals in 2015 and hasn’t missed a game in four seasons. He’s been a reliable part of their defensive line rotation, and will continue to be.

Also coming to the Cardinals are two offensive linemen from the Alliance of America Football: Andrew Lauderdale of the Arizona Hotshots and Jeremiah Poutasi of the Salt Lake Stallions. And exclusive rights free agent offensive lineman Jeremy Vujnovich and tight end Darrell Daniels also signed one-year deals with the Cardinals today

Sure, they are camp bodies, but they come into their new football jobs knowing that there will be some stability for them. 

7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

It's behind their paywall, but FWIW...

PFT basically posted the key point in Kaplan's article. Fowler was to fund another $28M to the AAF in late December but did not.  That was the cause of all this scrambling. 

Wait, they knew in December that they didn’t have the funding? Six weeks before the first game and they still couldn’t find anyone to step up before they started missing payroll? That’s amazing. And it puts Ebersol’s later lies in stark relief.

I would love to know how hard they were looking for another investor before they got so desperate that Dundon looked like a legitimate option.

15 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It may not be a big deal to us, but to the AAF players, it's a huge deal, especially after all the off the field mess they had to go through.  These players will have some stability for the next few months. 

But it apparently IS a big deal to you, given that I don't see you posting every update about a team signing someone who wasn't in AAF. I guess that is the thing I'm trying to grasp. This really isn't news in the big picture.

It's where I sit.

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/08/cardinals-keep-rodney-gunter-add-two-from-aaf/

Sure, they are camp bodies, but they come into their new football jobs knowing that there will be some stability for them. 

Which will be a nice change of pace, I’m sure. 😛 

Signing camp bodies isn’t a big deal.  When the first AAF player forgotten by the NFL leverages his second look into actual playing time, that will be. 

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But it apparently IS a big deal to you, given that I don't see you posting every update about a team signing someone who wasn't in AAF. I guess that is the thing I'm trying to grasp. This really isn't news in the big picture.

I'll stop posting news then. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Wait, they knew in December that they didn’t have the funding? Six weeks before the first game and they still couldn’t find anyone to step up before they started missing payroll? That’s amazing. And it puts Ebersol’s later lies in stark relief.

I would love to know how hard they were looking for another investor before they got so desperate that Dundon looked like a legitimate option.

Each day they did not find anyone to wire them funds, the hole got deeper and deeper.  I do wonder if there were any retired NFL guys who were pouring their portfolio into Ebersol's parent company.

It seems that only players and staffs got paid.

San Antonio camp vendors weren't. Stadiums (at least UCF and ASU) weren't. The Memphis hotel wasn't. We will find out more week by week as there is still part of the season which still under Net 30 billing cycles. 

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But this is the AAF thread. They're relevant to this thread. That's why he wouldn't post about some other signing for a non-AAF player. 

13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I hope that you don't stop. Every signing of an AAF player is significant; and I would like to be kept informed about this. 

8 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

But this is the AAF thread. They're relevant to this thread. That's why he wouldn't post about some other signing for a non-AAF player. 

Yeah, maybe these guys work out, maybe they don't. Still interesting to see what happens with these players down the line.

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Sure - but when it was first posted as "It may not be a big deal to us", then there's a continuing posting of them, don't you see that as a bit disingenuous (because if they weren't a big deal, why would someone care enough to post them)? If you (the royal you here) think it's a big deal, go for it and post these.  Where there are fanboy posts, though, continue to expect me to point out the unreal expectations on these posts.

Frankly, I don't care one way or the other about the bottom of the roster signees, even as it relates to my team. The bottom 5 spots on the roster ought to be  constantly churned all season long in an effort to get better. 

It's where I sit.

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The bottom 5 spots on the roster ought to be  constantly churned all season long in an effort to get better. 

And they almost certainly will be.  I expect we’ll have a lot of additional posts as some of these marginal AAF guys are dropped from NFL taxi squads. 

I knew the Apollos were holding practice inside Camping World Stadium, the Express inside the Liberty Bowl, and the Hotshots were at the fields next to the stadium in Glendale, so about the Fleet and the lack of capital.

With the inaugural season fast approaching, the Fleet struggled to find facilities for practices or team meetings. The team was left scrambling after short notice kept them from securing the Chargers’ former practice facility at Murphy Canyon.

So the Fleet ultimately held their practices behind a maintenance shed, at the far corner of the SDCCU Stadium parking lot, where the team shared two shortened grass fields with a rugby club and a youth soccer academy. The field conditions were good, but the arrangement was hardly ideal. Players had to be bused from the field to the stadium’s locker room every day, while a series of trailers were converted into team meeting rooms.

"short notice" = short on funds

Then there's this too:

“We didn’t assume in our business model that we would have this much success, this fast,” Ebersol raved in March. “We didn’t expect someone like Tom would want to pay such a significant amount of money to be a part of it this early.”

On Dundon’s orders, team budgets were immediately slashed to account for only bare essentials. Marketing and promotions budgets were eliminated, as were team dinners. The night before one game, Fleet officials found out that the league hadn’t paid vendors for a fireworks show they’d advertised extensively to local fans. They convinced the league to cover the cost just in time.

Archived