Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Scumbags, all.  Bet Ebersol got paid. 

Is this any different than Theranos? The only difference here is that Elizabeth Holmes is delusional. She thinks she did nothing wrong and the science will prove her vision right. Not so much for Ebersol. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Is this any different than Theranos? The only difference here is that Elizabeth Holmes is delusional. She thinks she did nothing wrong and the science will prove her vision right. Not so much for Ebersol. 

Honestly? Holmes strikes me as a total sociopath while Ebersol strikes me as in over his head. We'll find out more and especially if this turns into a big legal brouhaha but that's my opinion as it stands now.

31 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Who is to say Ebersol isn't delusional?  He hasn't spoken.

27 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Honestly? Holmes strikes me as a total sociopath while Ebersol strikes me as in over his head. We'll find out more and especially if this turns into a big legal brouhaha but that's my opinion as it stands now.

Your deleted comparison wasn't far off, but you could've compared the AAF Board to Theramos Board.

The AAF brought in folks who were household NFL/football and TV names (his Dad), but were short on expertise as illustrated with Polian as Theranos' board had former military officers and public policy officials, who were short on business acumen (and there was only one medical doctor).  In both cases, the words of the founder were accepted as truth.

As Theranos was using its board to scam government contracts, Ebersol seem to use the same methods to get the NFL to buy his league.

Oh boy I would bet the mortgage McMahon already feels redemption. Knowing now his original XFL isn’t the biggest flop in pro sports history any longer. XFL 2020 wouldn’t have to play a down as it stands now. He doesn’t have to prove anything.  If I were him I would be satisfied with that fact alone and save the money. Because people are gonna trash the Xfl worse than they ever did the AAF solely based on wanting to see McMahon fail again.  

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

5 hours ago, mkg74 said:

Oh boy I would bet the mortgage McMahon already feels redemption. Knowing now his original XFL isn’t the biggest flop in pro sports history any longer. XFL 2020 wouldn’t have to play a down as it stands now. He doesn’t have to prove anything.  If I were him I would be satisfied with that fact alone and save the money. Because people are gonna trash the Xfl worse than they ever did the AAF solely based on wanting to see McMahon fail again.  

He'll get ribbed even worse if they don't take the field.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, mkg74 said:

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

He'll get ribbed even worse if they don't take the field.

If I'm Vince and as stubborn and egotistical as I suspect him to be, him trying to do this for at least two seasons to show up not only the people who mocked him about the first XFL failing but also the AAF seems like the most likely result. 

WHY DO PEOPLE WANT THESE LEAGUES TO FAIL???????

It's absolutely stupid.  At worst, a league's success is innocuous.  At best, it provides an entertaining alternative or supplement for whatever else is out there, and maybe another avenue for players to catch a break.  The way people salivate at the demise of these leagues is stupid.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

It's absolutely stupid.  At worst, a league's success is innocuous.  At best, it provides an entertaining alternative or supplement for whatever else is out there, and maybe another avenue for players to catch a break.  The way people salivate at the demise of these leagues is stupid.

And it's even crazier when it is AAF supporters doing that. I figured alt-football was alt-football.

It's where I sit.

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

14 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

And it's even crazier when it is AAF supporters doing that. I figured alt-football was alt-football.

Basically it seems to boil down to Wrestling Man Bad.

Seriously, if anyone needs a kick in the pants, it isn't Vince it's Roger. And any competition would be good for the NFL.

I don’t want these leagues to fail. 

I will be perfectly happy when McMahon fails, though.  As badly as the NFL treats its players, as much as the NCAA exploits its, all that pales in comparison to how terribly McMahon treats his employees.  Starting with pretending that they aren’t his employees.

Class Action suit filed against the AAF by former Birmingham employee

Bill Polian, Jared Allen, former DC mayor Adrian Fenty, JK McKay, Troy Polamalu, Chernin Group, and Founders Fund among the defendants.  Charlie Ebersol, not named personally, rather Legendary Field Exhibitions is.

The plaintiff is suing because they were not given 60 or more days notice prior to the layoff.  Being a single entity, everyone was working for Legendary, thus there were over 100 employees and a 60-day notice is required by law. 

EDIT: Another class action suit filed. This one against Dundon, Ebersol and Ebersol-formed companies.

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-2019-two-players-sue-league-alleging-they-were-misled-and-defrauded/

Deadspin has the suit at their page.

https://deadspin.com/lawsuit-claims-the-aaf-intentionally-misled-and-defraud-1833959393

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t want these leagues to fail.  

I will be perfectly happy when McMahon fails, though.  As badly as the NFL treats its players, as much as the NCAA exploits its, all that pales in comparison to how terribly McMahon treats his employees.  Starting with pretending that they aren’t his employees. 

To be fair:

NFL: Understands its players are employees, ignores their lack of safety, fights tooth and nail to protect against any long-term care or pension plans

NCAA: Doesn't pay its players but provides some health and accommodate support

WWE: Plays games with employee status, but still provides a reasonable income for its performers and substantial merchandising opportunities

All things considered, I think providing an income of any sort is the baseline for any performance transaction. The NCAA doesn't even do that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

To be fair:

NFL: Understands its players are employees, ignores their lack of safety, fights tooth and nail to protect against any long-term care or pension plans

NCAA: Doesn't pay its players but provides some health and accommodate support

WWE: Plays games with employee status, but still provides a reasonable income for its performers and substantial merchandising opportunities

All things considered, I think providing an income of any sort is the baseline for any performance transaction. The NCAA doesn't even do that.

As usual, John Oliver has a good segment on this issue

Whether it's worse than the NFL and NCAA is up for debate, but it's certainly not perfect

The NCAA and NFL at least provide medical.  And while the NCAA is indefensible, its hold over players is of limited duration. And it does pay players in trade, after all.

The WWE is scummy well beyond the limits of the other two.  It takes the worst qualities of each (the utter disregard for safety of the NFL and the economic exploitation of the NCAA) and combines them in one fetid package. 

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The NCAA and NFL at least provide medical.  And while the NCAA is indefensible, its hold over players is of limited duration. And it does pay players in trade, after all.

The WWE is scummy well beyond the limits of the other two.  It takes the worst qualities of each (the utter disregard for safety of the NFL and the economic exploitation of the NCAA) and combines them in one fetid package. 

The NCAA does not provide medical coverage. What they do is require student-athletes to have medical coverage before playing. Either their parent/guardian's policy is used first, or a policy from the member institution provides, but that's up to the discretion of the institution.  Only the 65 autonomous Division 1 schools provide coverage two years following an athlete leaves or graduates. It is optional for the other Division 1 members.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/ncaa-insurance-legislation-faqs

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The NCAA does not provide medical coverage. What they do is require student-athletes to have medical coverage before playing. Either their parent/guardian's policy is used first, or a policy from the member institution provides, but that's up to the discretion of the institution.  Only the 65 autonomous Division 1 schools provide coverage two years following an athlete leaves or graduates. It is optional for the other Division 1 members.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/ncaa-insurance-legislation-faqs

Yep. 

And yet, still better than the WWE. 

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Read this all...

Holy :censored:, those :censored:holes all deserve each other.  

And how the hell did Ebersol think would this have worked?

“Last money in” doesn’t beat “most money in” when determining control of a Board of Directors.  Did Ebersol not ask Dundon to sign any kind of agreement when he sold the controlling interest, or did Ebersol just not read it?

Archived