Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

The AAF has died......The SLAF, which was proposed in 2014 has not updated their social media accounts in two years.  The APL has been inactive for almost two months and the Freedom Football League probably won't kick off despite being active on social media.  As soon as the XFL dies (and it will) this leaves the CFL and their version of the game as the last man standing. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The AAF has died......The SLAF, which was proposed in 2014 has not updated their social media accounts in two years.  The APL has been inactive for almost two months and the Freedom Football League probably won't kick off despite being active on social media.  As soon as the XFL dies (and it will) this leaves the CFL and their version of the game as the last man standing. 

So it just the Circle of Life but with football. In the end, the NFL is WWE while the CFL and Arena League are the Indy's once it is over again. Kinda funny but it true.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Individual Team GM's seem like an unnecessary expense with an HC there from the start in a single entity system.  A team president for the business side I kinda get, but some of those positions could've doubled up on markets.  Multiple accounts in multiple cities is not uncommon. 

Vince loves the concept of having kayfabe authority figures while he does all the work himself.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/20/2019 at 4:05 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Ok, question for you all.

The league is dead, it's filed for bankruptcy, and the dirty laundry is out. So I wanna ask the community. Is there a point in keeping this thread alive? I ask because we're in the midst of the NHL and NBA playoffs, the MLB season is underway, and there's another thread dedicated to another spring league that hasn't sunk yet. So seeing a thread dedicated to a league that's dead constantly pop up near the top of the page is questionable. Would it be ok to lock this thing and re-open it if something of significance is revealed? Or potentially re-open it and merge it with the XFL thread should the XFL die off? Sort of a Spring Football Graveyard?

I don't like killing discussions prematurely but at the same time, as I said, it's a bit ridiculous to see a thread about a dead league bumping down Big Four playoff threads :P

As they say there is only so long you can beat a dead horse.

15 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Was Hayes asked by Luck or Vince to say this about the AAF?  

Individual Team GM's seem like an unnecessary expense with an HC there from the start in a single entity system.  A team president for the business side I kinda get, but some of those positions could've doubled up on markets.  Multiple accounts in multiple cities is not uncommon. 

While the St. Louis coach is also the general manager, the positions of head coach and GM involve two different sets of responsibilities.  Assuming that the XFL will allow teams to trade players between the league's teams, someone has to make the decisions about which players to pursue and which players to offer.  This is not purely a business decision; it is also a player personnel decision.

You seem to be suggesting that all teams should have coaches who double as GMs. But that seems a bit unrealistic, as few coaches would want the additional load of administrative duties that come with being a general manager.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

14 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

So it just the Circle of Life but with football. In the end, the NFL is WWE while the CFL and Arena League are the Indy's once it is over again. Kinda funny but it true.

I want the Arena League to survive so it can get to the point where there's a 32 team league, half of the teams owned by Ron Jaworski and the other half by Ted Leonsis, and they split into two 16 team conferences, known as the Jaworski Conference and the Leonsis Conference and the winners battle it out for the Leonsis-Jaworski Championship Trophy in the Arena Bowl. 

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I want the Arena League to survive so it can get to the point where there's a 32 team league, half of the teams owned by Ron Jaworski and the other half by Ted Leonsis, and they split into two 16 team conferences, known as the Jaworski Conference and the Leonsis Conference and the winners battle it out for the Leonsis-Jaworski Championship Trophy in the Arena Bowl. 

A bit crazy but would work. 

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

13 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Jaworski and Leonsis pretty much own all of the teams anyways. 

I knew Arena League teams were cheap to operate but how the hell does Ron Jaworski still have enough capital to run these teams for so long?

3 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I knew Arena League teams were cheap to operate but how the hell does Ron Jaworski still have enough capital to run these teams for so long?

He's not alone as his ownership group in Philly includes Dick Vermiel and Marques Colston and he's joined the great grandson of William Randolph Hearst in owning Albany and Atlantic City. 

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Salaries are less than what they were before. And since 2 groups own all the teams there's less "signing bonus" incidents. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, GDAWG said:

He's not alone as his ownership group in Philly includes Dick Vermiel and Marques Colston and he's joined the great grandson of William Randolph Hearst in owning Albany and Atlantic City. 

And he's been very wealthy for quite a while, building an inventory of golf courses going back to when he was a player here.  All of his network gigs haven't hurt either.

He was joined by a local wealthy crook bar/restaurant owner but he may have pulled out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/22/2019 at 12:10 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While the St. Louis coach is also the general manager, the positions of head coach and GM involve two different sets of responsibilities.  Assuming that the XFL will allow teams to trade players between the league's teams, someone has to make the decisions about which players to pursue and which players to offer.  This is not purely a business decision; it is also a player personnel decision.

You seem to be suggesting that all teams should have coaches who double as GMs. But that seems a bit unrealistic, as few coaches would want the additional load of administrative duties that come with being a general manager.

Football HCs want as much control as they can get from the owner.  Many of these coaches, most were long term unemployed, as opposed to retired, would appreciate the "total control of football operations".  They prefer if they got to pick the talent they coach as opposed to be given it.  Bob Stoops had it at Oklahoma and he had over 100+ players to manage.  

31 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

FYI, our former member, 'Mac the Knife' paid for the access to PACER and went through the AAF bankruptcy filing and wrote up the most detailed description I've seen on the filing at ArenaFan.

H/T to him on this.

Read through that and here is what popped out to me

>Spending 10s of thousands on trademarks in China, India, EU and Mexico

>Oweing money to government entities in Idaho, Missouri, Nebraska and Ohio

>Oweing over $100,000 on a "Tampa Lease"

>Starter likely receiving less than $100,000 in total sales. I'm going to say that a lot of jerseys and apparel were probably given away by the teams just like the tickets.

All I can say in response to all this is

spacer.png

Dundon looks more and more blameless for pulling the plug as time goes on IMO. Perhaps not for everything else but the narrative that Ebersol was a dupe played by the subprime auto loan baron doesn't hold up on further review. Looks more like one conman got played by a more experienced conman now.

Archived