Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

>Starter likely receiving less than $100,000 in total sales. I'm going to say that a lot of jerseys and apparel were probably given away by the teams just like the tickets.

Dundon looks more and more blameless for pulling the plug as time goes on IMO. Perhaps not for everything else but the narrative that Ebersol was a dupe played by the subprime auto loan baron doesn't hold up on further review. Looks more like one conman got played by a more experienced conman now.

If Starter was handing out free gear I may have missed it. I do know they had a promotion for one game that if you bought a team jerseys at the stadium you also got a free t shirt that was about a $30 value. I didn't see Riddell or Wilson mentioned but I'd think they'd be involved as well with replica helmet and football sales. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t think it was about giving away jerseys, but rather the merchandise sales not being as spectacular as they were hoping. 

I think they overestimated nostalgia then and didn't ask for a bigger cut of the sales. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The Hotshots were practicing on fields next to State Farm Stadium in Glendale, which is managed by the Cardinals

So what was the deal between the league and the Falcons?

Also they owe Belinda Carlise money?  As in this Belinda Carlise?

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Nostalgia?

I'm assuming he meant nostalgia for Starter merch - basically their logo and the possibility of retro designs for the new league (satin jackets, etc) - obviously not the team designs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm assuming he meant nostalgia for Starter merch - basically their logo and the possibility of retro designs for the new league (satin jackets, etc) - obviously not the team designs.

Yup. I also realize that other than jerseys and jackets, most of the items sold were from other providers. Not too many people would buy a heavy jacket in March at an indoor football game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've seen A7FL before here and there, I forgot about them.  But...THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!  Yes it's low budget, but it has lasted for 5 years!  And has its fan base.  No TV contracts, no news stories about them running out of money.  All these new leagues (UFL, AAF, etc) try to make a big splash and have high quality presentation which ultimately sinks them yet grassroots leagues like this keep going. 

if the goal is to develop players, focus on that instead of trying to get viewers. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

On 4/18/2019 at 2:01 PM, raysox said:

If anyone is interested....

AAF stuff on Dick's website are half off

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/c/shop-by-alliance-team

I visited my local Dick's today, and am sorry to report that no AAF stuff was available in-store.

The one employee whom I spoke to was not even aware of the league, and doubted whether the store had ever carried its gear.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 4/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, GDAWG said:

The AAF has died......The SLAF, which was proposed in 2014 has not updated their social media accounts in two years.  The APL has been inactive for almost two months and the Freedom Football League probably won't kick off despite being active on social media.  As soon as the XFL dies (and it will) this leaves the CFL and their version of the game as the last man standing. 

Made me think of this "YOU THINK YOU CAN STOP THE CFL? NOTHING CAN STOP THE CFL!" XD

UBwef0L.png

On 4/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Creating a name for a league and teams, designing logos and uniforms....those are easy.  Props to the AAF for actually getting a product on the field for a few weeks.

I don't think it's actually that hard when you don't pay any of your bills.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Creating a name for a league and teams, designing logos and uniforms....those are easy.  Props to the AAF for actually getting a product on the field for a few weeks.

Have you considered how much this particular message board is not for you?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Creating a name for a league and teams, designing logos and uniforms....those are easy. 

You haven't had much client work, I see.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived