mr.nascar13

Death of the Alliance of American Football

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Aren't those showcases more like glorified combines rather than team specific OTA's? They're taking place in league cities but they're tryouts by invitation.

https://xflboard.com/news/2019/05/19/details-revealed-for-xfl-summer-showcase-tryouts/

They are combines, but at least the XFL is making moves.  Usually these leagues get announced, they make moves initially and nothing happens for months on end. 

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

They are combines, but at least the XFL is making moves.  Usually these leagues get announced, they make moves initially and nothing happens for months on end. 

With only 3 weeks for training camps I'm hoping that the rumors that they'll have mini-camps in November is true. 

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

With only 3 weeks for training camps I'm hoping that the rumors that they'll have mini-camps in November is true. 

They kinda need to do a mini-camp to make sure they are ready for the debut a few months later.

Everytime the XFL makes a hire, especially from the AAF, the reaction from most people on social media is like "I don't care, when are we getting team logos and colors?"

25 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Everytime the XFL makes a hire, especially from the AAF, the reaction from most people on social media is like "I don't care, when are we getting team logos and colors?"

People are afraid they won't take the field. Amazing what showing helmets and jerseys with team specific logos can do to calm a person. 

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

People are afraid they won't take the field. Amazing what showing helmets and jerseys with team specific logos can do to calm a person. 

I think we'll probably have an announcement before NFL training camps start at the end of July, but I am not sure people will want to wait that long.

20 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I think we'll probably have an announcement before NFL training camps start at the end of July, but I am not sure people will want to wait that long.

I almost expect people to expect McMahon to show the vault where the money to run the league is kept before they relax enough to enjoy the season when it arrives.

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I almost expect people to expect McMahon to show the vault where the money to run the league is kept before they relax enough to enjoy the season when it arrives.

I think a screen shot of his bank account might appease those folks.  😉

Posted (edited)

FYI, the former Stallions Director Of Corporate Partnerships went on a podcast.  Sarah Proctor, who now has a job at the Texas Motor Speedway, tried to detail her experience and some issues with the AAF between the two knucklehead hosts taking shots at the LDS Church and stopping down their own show.

https://castbox.fm/episode/The-inside-scoop-on-the-AAF-fiasco-id1990331-id159112758?country=us

She said...

1-Their attendance was between 4,000 and 8,000 per game.

2- There was little communication since there was no league office with the executive team.  Staff would fly to a game and meet with the competing team presidents and GMs, but then went to their homes which were not in SF.

3-She still believed it could have worked, even though her team couldn't get 10K.

4-She used the term, "disorganized" as there was one "HR person" for all eight teams as well as one "Finance person".

5-She got there in September and she was never given a budget.

6-They sold about 150,000 Starter jackets.

If you listen, do it at 1.25x speed or greater and the details start at around the 40-minute mark.

Link: https://castbox.fm/episode/The-inside-scoop-on-the-AAF-fiasco-id1990331-id159112758?country=us

There were some other naive things she said and here are examples.

1-She considered Dundon as the investor, rather not the one in charge.

2-She ignored how popular BYU football is to the state of Utah.

3-She thought everyone needed to be told that the league was to be shut down at the same time, not the team presidents telling the direct reports.

4-The two podcasts were published last week, but when they were recorded is in question, however, the news after the Chapter 7 filing is clear that bills were not paid basically two months after she was in Salt Lake.

The guys are so scatterbrained, the interviewed continued to a second part. She talked about the app, but that starts at around the 50-minute mark.

https://castbox.fm/episode/AAF-interview-continued%2C-Nascar%2C-best-animal-duos-id1990331-id159112760?country=us

Edited by dfwabel
I tried to listen to Part 2...Ugh! and renumbering

41 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

She said...

1-Their attendance was between 4,000 and 8,000 per game.but then went to their homes.

What does this say?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

What does this say?

My bad.

That was actually two points which were messed up by me during editing by listening to it.

"but then went to their homes" refers to a point she made about a separate issue.  While the tech people and Charlie Ebersol were in the San Francisco office space, the other league executives were across the US, living and working from home, or at a Regus-like virtual office space.  Basically, league execs would fly to a game site, watch the game and then fly back to their home and communicate by email or Skype.   There was little face to face communication even between the eight-team presidents.

Edited by dfwabel

24 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

My bad.

That was actually two points which were messed up by me during editing by listening to it.

"but then went to their homes" refers to a point she made about a separate issue.  While the tech people and Charlie Ebersol were in the San Francisco office space, the other league executives were across the US, living and working from home, or at a Regus-like virtual office spaceBasically, league execs would fly to a game site, watch the game and then fly back to their home and communicate by email or Skype.   There was little face to face communication even between the eight-team presidents.

Judging by how these people operated, the best way for them to communicate should have been to cram them all in a tiny car as it's clear they're a bunch of clowns. 

10 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Judging by how these people operated, the best way for them to communicate should have been to cram them all in a tiny car as it's clear they're a bunch of clowns. 

The VP of Human Resources lived/worked from their home in City X.

The VP of Finance lived/worked from their home in City Y.

Polian was in Bristol with ESPN before he stepped away or at his home, and Ebersol was in LA or San Francisco. 

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

FYI, the former Stallions Director Of Corporate Partnerships went on a podcast.

Thanks for the recap of that podcast.

I just heard an episode of the Good Seats Still Available podcast on which Conor Orr of Sports Illustrated gives an overview of all matters concerning the league. The episode is dated May 19.

Unlike the podcast that you linked to, this one should be a pleasant listen. Host Tim Hanlon asks good questions; and he seems to listen to his guests, as he knows how to follow up on an answer. (His only flaw is that he misuses the expression "circa". But his show is so good that I won't let that bother me too much.)

The episode is at this link:

http://goodseatsstillavailable.com/listen/2019/5/19/episode-113-the-alliance-of-american-football-with-conor-orr

There is plenty in this conversation about Ebersol, Dundon, Polian, Fowler, and all the rest of them.  And, contrary to Sarah Proctor's imagining that the Stallions could survive in Utah, Orr suggests that the league officials had already pretty much accepted that that team would have to be moved. The surprising thing was that he mentioned Detroit as a possible new home. That city seems like a strange fit for a league with teams only in the southern part of the country. (Alas, this was one conversational thread that the host did not pursue.)

Orr also mentions that there was no real league office as such, and that league meetings were done by video conference, adding that there was often a major culture clash between the tech people and the football people.

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Thanks for the recap of that podcast.

I just heard an episode of the Good Seats Still Available podcast on which Conor Orr of Sports Illustrated gives an overview of all matters concerning the league. The episode is dated May 19.

Yea, the podcast I linked to on May 20.

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Yea, the podcast I linked to on May 20.

Oof!  Sorry. There's too dang much interesting stuff to read about and to listen to; I clearly am not capable of keeping on top of it all.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oof!  Sorry. There's too dang much interesting stuff to read about and to listen to; I clearly am not capable of keeping on top of it all.

Don't listen to the podcasts I linked to today.  It is too hard a listen that I wouldn't even ask those I block here to listen to.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The VP of Human Resources lived/worked from their home in City X.

The VP of Finance lived/worked from their home in City Y.

Polian was in Bristol with ESPN before he stepped away or at his home, and Ebersol was in LA or San Francisco. 

Thanks for the info. Trying to listen to those Neanderthals was a chore and a half. Yes, thanks for telling me Mormons are weird. I'm sure that's very relevant to why this league failed.

Anyway, its clear that despite what they said about not being a major league, they acted like (and apparently spent) they were. And yet they didn't even bother advertising at all.

Many coaches and front office people in the AAF have moved to the XFL. 

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Many coaches and front office people in the AAF have moved to the XFL.