Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

I have nothing against the players and coaches, who I am sure earned the league’s best record and deserve praise for that. However, they didn’t win a championship per the league’s initial rules. Therefore, doing the whole de-facto championship performance just seems silly and dishonest.

As @Gothamite and @dfwabel have said, this league was a mess on nearly all fronts. It’s fitting that it ends like this, giving rings and a championship away in a league that folded midway through their solitary season.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, dfwabel said:

I think this is awesome! While there are things about this that I don't exactly agree with, I'm glad that the coaches, staff, and players get a chance to have a ring. True they are not the league champions, only those with the best record after 8 weeks, but I do feel that the Apollos deserve it.

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Per usual, you keep avoiding how poorly the combination of Salt Lake, Atlanta, and Memphis were overall,

This comment is meaningless. Somebody wins, somebody loses; the bottom of any league is where you find the bad teams.

how poor Birmingham was offensively,

The fact that Birmingham managed to win games with an offence that was not statistically outstanding is an impressive feat. Trent Richardson, despite his low per-carry average, scored touchdowns. The object of the game is to score points.

Also, Luis Perez was a fascinating player. He sure didn't keep up his early pace, and he eventually lost his job. But he was a player whom you had to watch.

how very small numbers of folks actually paid admission to attend it. 

The television ratings were in line with or beyond expectations. This is far more important than the attendance in the stadiums.

Ebersol was grasping at straws from the start, hence the time buy with CBS and CBSSN, no insurance until the week out, and additional time buys with NFLN and TNT.  [Lest we forget] the delinquent bills from as far back as October for player physicals. 

The unpaid bills and lack of insurance and also the need for the Apollos to practice in Georgia all constitute evidence that the league's owners were unprepared to do what they had set out to do.

But the time-buy is not any such evidence. Many leagues get on television initially by means of a time-buy; MLS did so for a long time.

The AAF's act of buying time is unobjectionable. What matters is that its television presentation was top-notch, not only from the technical standpoint, but also from the point of view of the performance of the announcers, every one of whom was superb. 

And the game action was compelling. Look, I watch the NAL, so I am familiar with terrible quality of play. The AAF's level of play was respectable  

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I have nothing against the players and coaches

I am pleased to read that. Perhaps your keyboard was commandeered earlier by someone who does not respect the AAF's players and coaches, and who is responsible for having written:

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

They should have been given cherry ring pops with a chintzy plastic trophy. That would be more appropriate.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, the NFL once awarded its championships based on final record.  That was agreed to by all teams before the season even started.  That’s not what the AAF was going to do.  They planned a championship game,

You're doing great so far.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

and until that game has been played there can’t be a champion.

And now you've blown it.

Obviously the situation is not what was planned.

But recall that, when the earthquake hit during the 1989 World Series, there were many people who advocated declaring the A's, who were up 2 games to none, to be the World Champions. If such a decision had been taken, we would have seen a legit champion in a case where things did not go as originally planned.

This actually happened in 2001, when the championship series of the International League was never resumed after the World Trade Center attacks. Louisville, which had won the series' first game, is recognised as that season's champion.

In 1918, the American and National Leagues cancelled the final month's games on account of the World War. Yet the leagues still had champions (who went on to compete in a World Series held a month early).

The point is that the makeshift and unplanned nature of the end of the AAF's season does not detract from the legitimacy of the championship of the team that was on top when play stopped, as clearly enough games had been played to call this a full season. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

So Orlando basically became AAF champions by forfeit?

More like by Default. 

"Forfeit" implies a team actually quit.  

Can't really quit a game that never happened.  

Come to think of it, was a Trophy ever made? I know the logo showed what it would look like. 

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The point is that the makeshift and unplanned nature of the end of the AAF's season does not detract from the legitimacy of the championship of the team that was on top when play stopped, as clearly enough games had been played to call this a full season. 

You know what, you're right. A makeshift, unplanned, fly-by-night organization deserves to recognize a title in a similar manner. Also, who cares? Let them play pretend. It's a fake title that's no faker than the fake-ass league they had to play in that was run by a bunch of phony trash people.

Congrats to the Orlando Apollos on being self-appointed champions of the AAF, a trash fire that nobody wants to be associated with!

It will be interesting once December or January rolls around an these spring football haters are throwing intense flame towards the XFL...

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

5 hours ago, mkg74 said:

It will be interesting once December or January rolls around an these spring football haters are throwing intense flame towards the XFL...

Not a thing. I watched almost every Memphis Express game despite the fact that they were a bad minor league football team playing for something more akin to a scam than an actual league. Nobody wants these leagues to fail, we just expect them to, and feel it's necessary to expose the executives for the frauds that they are.

There's clearly some appetite for spring football, but as long as the people running the leagues are incompetent hucksters it'll never stick.

11 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I think this is awesome! While there are things about this that I don't exactly agree with, I'm glad that the coaches, staff, and players get a chance to have a ring. True they are not the league champions, only those with the best record after 8 weeks, but I do feel that the Apollos deserve it.

Participation ribbons for everyone!

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, mkg74 said:

They'll be too busy watching the Weeks15-17 and the NFL playoffs to care who is the QB for the XFL's New Jersey team.

7 hours ago, mkg74 said:

People are starting to lose patience with the league on social media because all they want are team names, logos and colors.  They don't care about anything else.

Back to the courts, per The Athletic's Daniel Kaplan published on Friday (Paywall)

So it is shocking to see the number attached to a creditor claim made last week by two former players on behalf of all ex-AAF competitors: $674 million. No, there is a not a decimal point missing; players Colton Schmidt and Reggie Northrup are seeking that amount (to be exact, they are claiming $673,920,000)

The claim is made on behalf of 416 players, which would mean $1.62 million per player.

“Our claim consists of fraud and breach of contract. The amount reflects both,” their attorneys Boris Treyzon and Jonathon Farahi of the law firm, Abir, Cohen, Treyzon, Salo LLP wrote in an email in response to questions.

The creditor filing notes the players were promised pay through three years (the league folded in April just seven weeks into its first season), and based on that calculation, the lawyers contend the players are owed $74.88 million, known as compensatory damages. The lawyers then use a “nine-time multiplier” to get to the $674 million. They did not answer where they got the multiplier from.

In the filing, all they write is, “Single-digit multipliers are more likely to comport with due process.”

Erik Schmidt, a bankruptcy attorney with Cozen O’Connor, said he has never heard of a nine-times multiplier (courts can award multiples of damages when misconduct is found.) But he has seen plenty of outlandish claims in his day.

Where they may have a better claim, he added, is their objection this week to the bankruptcy trustee’s agreement to sell the league’s intellectual property to MGM Resorts for $125,000 plus a reduction of MGM’s credit from $7 million to $5 million. The two players contend the trustee did not bid out the sale, and they have buyers willing to pay substantially more.

7 hours ago, mkg74 said:

I wish the AAF would've succeeded too but trying to overcome all the factors against a spring league working would've been a huge challenge even if the AAF wasn't run by clowns. I want the XFL 2.0 to make it too and it looks like it has all the tools to at least finish their first couple of seasons. If that fails, then the idea of spring football really ought to go in the dustbin of bad ideas. 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I wish the AAF would've succeeded too but trying to overcome all the factors against a spring league working would've been a huge challenge even if the AAF wasn't run by clowns. I want the XFL 2.0 to make it too and it looks like it has all the tools to at least finish their first couple of seasons. If that fails, then the idea of spring football really ought to go in the dustbin of bad ideas. 

Why do you think that?

Remember - AAF seemed to have a boatload of money behind it.  Point is, I think that is a pretty bold leap that historically isn't sound.

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why do you think that?

Remember - AAF seemed to have a boatload of money behind it.  Point is, I think that is a pretty bold leap that historically isn't sound.

This is why.  Unlike with the AAF, we know exactly where the money is coming from and how much stock Vince has sold to start this league up. 

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Participation ribbons for everyone!

Hate the business side of the league that sunk it, but don't hate the players, coaches, and staff that ran the day-to-day operations for 6 months and then were terminated without notice. The least they deserve is this.

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Hate the business side of the league that sunk it, but don't hate the players, coaches, and staff that ran the day-to-day operations for 6 months and then were terminated without notice. The least they deserve is this.

No. No one deserves an attaboy just for trying.

I'm not happy that AAF failed. I watched an awful lot of it with my youngest son, as we both love football. But, 'awful' describes a lot of what we watched, not just how much we watched.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

This is why.  Unlike with the AAF, we know exactly where the money is coming from and how much stock Vince has sold to start this league up. 

Yep - money from Vince. However, he HAS been known to change his mind before. Not to mention he isn't getting any younger. I'm not sure that his offspring/heirs would share his dream of spending all that money.

It's where I sit.

Also Vince could easily remove funding for the XFL if he feels that WWE is going to need his undivided attention, would could happen if All Elite Wrestling becomes the serious threat they believe that they can be.

Archived