Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Not a bad strategy though, keep things regional and in control and then expand/relocate later.  NBADL started in the Southeast with 8 teams i think and it grew from there.

Also, going by this i think its safe to assume the XFL will target St Louis and NorCal.

That's presuming you ever reach the point of expansion.  But having Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and Washington out of the initial lineup of teams is a serious risk.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

That's presuming you ever reach the point of expansion.  But having Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and Washington out of the initial lineup of teams is a serious risk.

My guess is the XFL will select cities that fill some of the AAFL's geographic gaps, then they'll merge after a season or two. 

19 hours ago, Wings said:

An XFL consisting of teams in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Houston, St. Louis, Oakland & Seattle?

More like an XFL with Oakland, Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Orlando, Myrtle Beach and Charlotte.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

So we have the 8 AAF cities, how long for the name and branding to be announced?  They have said they want fan influence on this, but it takes time to design and then get helmets, uniforms and items to sell ready.  What do you see as the timeframe?  I would hope for full identities revealed by early September.  That would give them 5 months to promote and push for season ticket sales.  

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

So we have the 8 AAF cities, how long for the name and branding to be announced?  They have said they want fan influence on this, but it takes time to design and then get helmets, uniforms and items to sell ready.  What do you see as the timeframe?  I would hope for full identities revealed by early September.  That would give them 5 months to promote and push for season ticket sales.  

Question:  When do we on Sportslogos, begin our own suggestions and polls? 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

I've heard logos and identities finalized by December but that still means there's a lot of moving parts not in place yet that need to be set in stone fairly soon. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

44 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I've heard logos and identities finalized by December but that still means there's a lot of moving parts not in place yet that need to be set in stone fairly soon. 

When your draft is set for "early September" as Ebersol told Rich Eisen six weeks ago, it would be ideal to have it done prior to then.

However, it took them from April 7 to June 20 to name eight cities.

I'm slightly curious on how many deposits Orlando has with a six week head start on Birmingham.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:47 PM, Wings said:

An XFL consisting of teams in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Houston, St. Louis, Oakland & Seattle?

The markets for XFL will depend a lot on whether or not they can land a terrestrial television contract, and if so the extent of that contract.  If they land an AAF-like deal where the network's taking a flyer with no risk whatsoever... or if there are no TV takers at all?  They can go anywhere they want.  If they score an actual, old-school, "the network's going to play at least one game every week plus your playoff games" deal, be it for a fixed sum or a percentage of ad revenue?  They're going to almost have to go into some top ten markets.

The only market that the XFL could balk on that would absolutely surprise me is New York.  Meanwhile if they have a Los Angeles or Las Vegas team, that would surprise me to an equal degree.  If I'm picking the eight, I'd have two lists of cities, based on the ability to sell a TV rights package:

With a TV package, I go into Chicago, Columbus, Houston, Indianapolis, New York and San Jose.  I also go head-to-head with AAF in any two of Orlando, San Antonio and/or San Diego.

Without a TV package, I drop Chicago and Indianapolis, replacing them with Oklahoma City and Omaha, mostly for sake of a national imprint but also because I think those cities are comparatively untapped at the professional level.

7 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

It's a shame Louisville wasn't considered

Louisville would probably be a good market, but it's a completely untested one for any professional sport dating back the past 43 years (Kentucky Colonels, ABA).  No one has any concrete metrics for the market on which they would be willing to take that kind of risk as part of a single-entity model.  If it were someone in Louisville wanting to start a franchise in a league, though?  I for one would give 'em a shot.

3 hours ago, Needschat said:

Question:  When do we on Sportslogos, begin our own suggestions and polls? 

Right now.  Go for it.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

I'm slightly curious on how many deposits Orlando has with a six week head start on Birmingham.

Oh I'd bet thanks to dragging out the whole city announcements for sake of drama, they have a substantial lead.  Perhaps as many as 3 or 4 dozen...   ?

nav-logo.png

10 hours ago, buzzcut said:

More like an XFL with Oakland, Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Orlando, Myrtle Beach and Charlotte.

Why would Las Vegas want an alternative league team anymore?

Especially when they get these guys a few months after the XFL kicks-off:

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

I think they have one more year left on their current stadium deal with Oakland. 

The Raiders only have a lease in Oakland for this season at $350K/game + a percentage of the parking, at least $25K/game.

Last Friday, one of the topics for the Oakland Coliseum Board (in addition to the XFL documents) was a lease for the Raiders for 2019. However, there was no quorum established with no city of Oakland members in attendance, so there looks to be a special meeting in July.  The Board claims it loses money at the currently contracted rates.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:51 AM, buzzcut said:

There's no Northern sides?

I agree with @Mac the Knife except maybe swap Chicago for Milwaukee to alleviate the Green Bay factor.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

With the AAF going all southern teams, I wouldn't be surprised at all if XFL were majority northern teams.

Hartford, Syracuse, Columbus (or Canton/Akron, or at least somewhere in Ohio), Louisville, Charlotte/Raleigh/Winston-Salem/NC in General, Orlando (major entertainment market), Tucson, DFW (TCU, SMU, Cotton Bowl, Frisco's Toyota Stadium), Oakland (obvious reasons), St. Louis (obvious reasons), etc.

Some assembly of those markets. If TV isn't a pressing concern, NYC or LA metro isn't really necessary. At least, big name major TV. Even an AAF type deal where they get one or two games on terrestrial OTA television, they don't need major markets. What XFL might go after is the markets that are 'just below' major. I know there's 30 RFPs out there, but curious what total markets have been looked at and which 30 got them and why.

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

With the AAF going all southern teams, I wouldn't be surprised at all if XFL were majority northern teams.

Hartford, Syracuse, Columbus (or Canton/Akron, or at least somewhere in Ohio), Louisville, Charlotte/Raleigh/Winston-Salem/NC in General, Orlando (major entertainment market), Tucson, DFW (TCU, SMU, Cotton Bowl, Frisco's Toyota Stadium), Oakland (obvious reasons), St. Louis (obvious reasons), etc.

Some assembly of those markets. If TV isn't a pressing concern, NYC or LA metro isn't really necessary. At least, big name major TV. Even an AAF type deal where they get one or two games on terrestrial OTA television, they don't need major markets. What XFL might go after is the markets that are 'just below' major. I know there's 30 RFPs out there, but curious what total markets have been looked at and which 30 got them and why.

The XFL reddit page has some of the cities which received RFPs, which haven't been mentioned within this thread or the XFL thread here.

Archived