Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

9 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

So... pony it up, man!

Wouldn't be more appropriate to post it on the XFL thread? I think so.

I may do it within the next 1.5 hours but I really need to watch my smoke on my chickens and short ribs.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Wouldn't be more appropriate to post it on the XFL thread? I think so.

I may do it within the next 1.5 hours but I really need to watch my smoke on my chickens and short ribs.

Wherever, as long as it's out there for those of us who don't know Reddit from Redd Foxx...  :)

And I understand.  You've got to have your priorities in order.  Chickens and ribs trump online lists, 10 times out of 10.

nav-logo.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

They will have combines in just three cities: L.A., Houston and Atlanta.

Under $200

https://www.combine.aaf.com/

Unlike other recent attempts and to their (slight) credit, if they don't think you are qualified to even attend the combine(s), you will be refunded.

Two days in Atlanta, not may people will be travelling far. ?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

3 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

What does it say about a league that's allegedly as well capitalized as the AAF that they are charging potential players for the privilege of what's essentially getting a job interview?

It doesn’t say anything. It just weeds out trolls from showing up and wasting everyone’s time. They probably have limited scouting staff at each one and want to focus on guys that actually have a shot rather than fat sweat hogs that just want a story to tell or are having a midlife crisis and want to relive high school football practice. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

43 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It doesn’t say anything. It just weeds out trolls from showing up and wasting everyone’s time. They probably have limited scouting staff at each one and want to focus on guys that actually have a shot rather than fat sweat hogs that just want a story to tell or are having a midlife crisis and want to relive high school football practice. 

That's worth $200 then?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

When guys pay $45_50 bucks,  you'd be surprised how thick they'd be there.  Big name players won't be there,  but you'll get the filler and those guys that didn't have tape enough to be elite.  Im not paying it,  so it's not a real consideration for me. The NFL and CFL are super established so they know what they're doing. AAF probably does too,  but they want to discourage weekend warriors from wasting $ and time

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1 hour ago, walkerws said:

When guys pay $45_50 bucks,  you'd be surprised how thick they'd be there.  Big name players won't be there,  but you'll get the filler and those guys that didn't have tape enough to be elite.  Im not paying it,  so it's not a real consideration for me. The NFL and CFL are super established so they know what they're doing. AAF probably does too,  but they want to discourage weekend warriors from wasting $ and time

I wouldn't argue with that, except for the thought that they could weed 99% of the pretenders out with a simple 40-yard dash, 3-cone drill or other combine-like test.  Here, sign this waiver... after that?  One attempt at one drill.  If you don't meet a certain metric?  Thanks for your time.  If you do?  You get to tell us your name, then take part in another drill and we'll see where things go from there.

What it says is that the guys behind this aren't as well capitalized as they're letting on.  They didn't pick that dollar figure out of a hat - they're looking to at the very least break-even on expenses, presuming that they're going to look at X number of wannabe's at each tryout.

And if that's not the case?  It still leaves people with that perception - and regardless of the rationale?  That's not a good perception.

nav-logo.png

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/24076702/alliance-american-football-players-get-3-year-250k-contracts

League co-founder Bill Polian, an ESPN NFL analyst, said the league will give players three-year, non-guaranteed contracts worth $250,000 each.

Players can leave the league, which is set to kick off Feb. 9, to go to the NFL. Polian said it's currently unclear whether a player's rights will revert back to the AAF after a three-year period expires or if the clock stops ticking on a team's three-year rights when a player gets "called up" to the big time.

Polian said a contract will include state-of-the-industry health insurance and an education stipend to any player who completes a year in the league.

The AAF will scout players who don't make NFL and CFL teams. They will be allocated to rosters based primarily on where they played college, if there is an AAF team within a reasonable radius. When that isn't the case -- which will often be true for players from the Big Ten and the Big 12 -- players will be allocated based on their most recent NFL or CFL team.

Their Twitter account lists the regional school allocation, but Colorado feeds the San Diego team, but Colorado State goes to SLC.  Huh?  And Big Ten players all seem to be free agents.

36 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

And Big Ten players all seem to be free agents.

Where do you get that?  The story says:

37 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

[Players] will be allocated to rosters based primarily on where they played college, if there is an AAF team within a reasonable radius. When that isn't the case -- which will often be true for players from the Big Ten and the Big 12 -- players will be allocated based on their most recent NFL or CFL team.

If the league is assigning players to teams, then no players are free agents.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Where do you get that?  The story says:

If the league is assigning players to teams, then no players are free agents.

Theres a three-step process for player assignment:

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/alliance-of-american-football-announces-player-allocation-procedure/273-573340345

They also released 8 images like the below for each team on Twitter yesterday which can also be found in the link above.  I think what theyres trying to do is assign the local college and NFL players to local teams, and then anyone else (midwest and such) to any team.

If you are on a 90-man, then I consider you a member there as opposed to the college team.

If you are from say Purdue and go undrafted by the NFL and unclaimed by the CFL, what are you?  You're a free agent.  If you are under the same conditions, but played at say, Oklahoma, you're slotted for San Antonio.

Edit: Somehow, Maryland is aligned with the Birmingham team and Northwestern/Illinois with Phoenix.  WTF?

13 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

If you are on a 90-man, then I consider you a member there as opposed to the college team.

If you are from say Purdue and go undrafted by the NFL and unclaimed by the CFL, what are you?  You're a free agent.  If you are under the same conditions, but played at say, Oklahoma, you're slotted for San Antonio.

Edit: Somehow, Maryland is aligned with the Birmingham team and Northwestern with Phoenix.  WTF?

I believe theres a lot of Chicago-area transplants in the Phoenix area.  Maryland on the other hand.....???

Thanks to @AstroBull and @dfwabel for the explanations.

The grapic says that players who are not assigned to Alliance teams by virtue of their schools or their pro teams are "available to be tendered a contract by any Alliance team".  So that does indeed imply free agency, as opposed to the statement quoted in the earlier post, which spoke of those players being "allocated".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

44 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I believe theres a lot of Chicago-area transplants in the Phoenix area.  Maryland on the other hand.....???

Illini players are to Phoenix too.  Seems just a ploy to attract the Spring Training snowbirds.  I totally understand that there are fewer FBS and FCS teams west of the Mississippi, but this is still haphazard in execution. They listed Air Force as a feeder. (Headshake)

They didn't allocate Ohio State and Michigan to Orlando.

Once there actually are players, they need to form a union pronto.  There's no way this is far at all.  You're "stuck" if you went to an SEC school and just get "assigned" somewhere, while someone who is equal in every single way except went to a northern college could potentially get free agency and play anywhere he wants?  Once things start being arbitrary, that's when guys start getting screwed.  It also sets up potential competitive imbalances, and could create conflicts for fans when an area has two arch-rival schools in it that both feed to the same AAF team.  It shouldn't matter, but since they seem to be marketing each team as a regional "college part 2" team, it could.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/24076702/alliance-american-football-players-get-3-year-250k-contracts

Their Twitter account lists the regional school allocation, but Colorado feeds the San Diego team, but Colorado State goes to SLC.  Huh?  And Big Ten players all seem to be free agents.

45 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Once there actually are players, they need to form a union pronto.  There's no way this is far at all.  You're "stuck" if you went to an SEC school and just get "assigned" somewhere, while someone who is equal in every single way except went to a northern college could potentially get free agency and play anywhere he wants?  Once things start being arbitrary, that's when guys start getting screwed.  It also sets up potential competitive imbalances, and could create conflicts for fans when an area has two arch-rival schools in it that both feed to the same AAF team.  It shouldn't matter, but since they seem to be marketing each team as a regional "college part 2" team, it could.

This is another USFL redux... when it launched they had a "Territorial Draft" in which each of the original 12 teams were given the rights to players who played at any one of five (or maybe six, I've forgotten) "local" schools.  "Local" however was kind of loose, as if you went to the University of Nebraska, your rights didn't go to the closest USFL team (the Chicago Blitz), but rather to (again I forget which, but it was either) the Boston Breakers or New Jersey Generals.

In the overall this isn't going to have a significant impact on competition levels within AAF, and it's certainly not going to trigger a union formation or an anti-trust suit on its own; after all, a player who doesn't like the idea of being allocated via the AAF could still go to the NFL (yeah, right), CFL, an Arena league, etc.  Also in the USFL's case at least, the territorial designations didn't matter if the player actually wanted to play in the league - they usually just wound up trading the player's rights to a team that the guy wanted to play for (Jim Kelly, for example, was traded by the Chicago Blitz to the Houston Gamblers just as soon as he said, "I want to play in Houston.")

So all in all, it's not that meaningful.  Just another round of trying to keep sizzling while they're looking for a steak to cook.

nav-logo.png

Archived