Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

39 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

If it's an 8-team format with a 10-game regular season format?  It'll be home-and-home in each division, and one game against the other four teams from the other division.

Thats what he said...unless im missing something.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

As an additional note, in between the Stallions and the Bolts, the WLAF Birmingham Fire averaged 27,467 in their first season (including a playoff game),  but only 14,636  in their second season.

The CFL Birmingham Barracudas averaged only 17, 625 in their one year of existence (1995).

Unintentional omission.  I just forgot exactly how many teams have played in Birmingham in the last 44 years.  It's a long list.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 9/4/2018 at 2:51 AM, WideRight said:

Not that I don't love the WLAF inside scoop, but this is a thread about the AAF.   So, could we wind our way back to the Alliance?

My question now, with everyone expecting the name, identity and logo roll out this month, does the AAF do this as one big press conference or do they spread it out over a couple of weeks, with each team having a roll out announcement with a few key players on hand to perhaps model the uniforms?

What's your best guess?

FWIW...

The team’s nickname is expected to be announced “in the next few weeks,” Fitz Ollison, the league’s vice president of football communications told City News Service.

Source

On 8/31/2018 at 4:08 PM, Needschat said:

IIRC, Paris and Milan were to have teams, Barcelona was a quick last-minute addition, as was Frankfurt, replacing the Memphis Galaxy because Fred Smith thought it would harm his NFL expansion chances.  

Sorry to bring the WLAF talk back...

...but I've never heard anything about this. Do you have any sources? It would certainly explain why the Frankfurt Galaxy wore purple and orange...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

21 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Sorry to bring the WLAF talk back...

...but I've never heard anything about this. Do you have any sources? It would certainly explain why the Frankfurt Galaxy wore purple and orange...

I'm trying to remember if I heard it on tv or read it.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So will the AAF use a "rules analyst" like NFL does for all of their TV partners?

They could do better than that, actually.

They could have a situation as one that happened around 15 years ago with the flag football league I operated; one in which I sat down and wrote the entire, 108 page rule book (it was pocket size and in 12 point font, so it wasn't that involved), taking pieces from NIRSA flag football rules, and the rule books of Arena Football, the CFL, the NFL, the old USFL and the XFL... they could have a guy on hand who could provide them with the same answer I did when a player came to me questioning the application of a rule I'd called during a game:

"Hmmmm... let's see what I wrote..."

nav-logo.png

I gotta say, if you are gambling on individual plays or trends within a football game played by NFL wannabes in a new league, well, my friend, you have a gambling problem.  It is hard enough to consistently win gambling established leagues with established players, gambling on a team sport when you know almost nothing about the players on those teams, their motivations or their abilities just seems like throwing money away. 

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

I gotta say, if you are gambling on individual plays or trends within a football game played by NFL wannabes in a new league, well, my friend, you have a gambling problem.  It is hard enough to consistently win gambling established leagues with established players, gambling on a team sport when you know almost nothing about the players on those teams, their motivations or their abilities just seems like throwing money away. 

Actually, I draw the line further back than that... if you're laying more than $5 down on a prop bet of any kind, you need to re-evaluate your habit.  I can see plunking $100-200 on a point spread bet, a money line or an over/under (O/U is my personal fave).  But I can see this taking all sorts of weird permutations that no one has even given thought to.  A guy betting that Sidney Crosby is not going to take X number of shots on goal in a game, but that he's going to take the next shot on goal?  That's sheer idiocy to me.

nav-logo.png

Why is Mike Martz the one to say that the San Diego team name plus the seven others will be on September 25?

https://www.mighty1090.com/episode/mike-martz-the-first-time-i-met-kurt-warner-i-thought-he-was-there-to-help-unpack-my-office/

At least they picked the 25th, which is a Tuesday, thus there's no NCAA or NFL games to be played, but it's final week of the baseball regular season.

Oh, and they still don't have a sales staff!

From The Globe and Mail....

It makes sense those guys would do their best to stay in shape during the interim; Alliance training camps will begin in early January and run through the month. There also will be some minicamps in the fall for each team.

While quarterbacks won’t be paid exponentially compared to other positions, there will be a special draft conducted for them in late November following a QB camp that also will include selected wide receivers and tight ends.

“Each team will protect one [allocated] quarterback and then the others are open,” Polian explains. “We want to make sure we get the best eight starting quarterbacks throughout the league and not have a few on the same team.”

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone talking about the logo snippets the AAF has been posting to social media. I’ve seen a lot of comments speculating cities and names based off these but those are honestly just wild guesses. The only color combination I don’t care for at this time is the red, white and blue one as those are the league colors.

https://www.instagram.com/theaaf/

8 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone talking about the logo snippets the AAF has been posting to social media. I’ve seen a lot of comments speculating cities and names based off these but those are honestly just wild guesses. The only color combination I don’t care for at this time is the red, white and blue one as those are the league colors.

https://www.instagram.com/theaaf/

Because it's being discussed within the Sports Logos section.

Oh, Charlie Ebersol.

“We have built a digital platform that is the most robust in professional sports, which allows players to be bonus-ed off of fan interaction,” Ebersol explained. “So if a fan picks a player on a fantasy platform or in a bet – and you'll be able to have in-game betting on our platform – the players actually make money on top of their regular-season salary, which is as high or just short of the NFL practice-squad salary. They’ll be able to make money every time they get picked on a fantasy team, every time they get picked on a bet, every time a fan likes them on Facebook.

“So we’ve designed a system that we think is reflective of the modern era where players literally make limitless amounts of money if they engage with our platform in the right way with their fans,” Ebersol continued. “One of the things that I think the mistake has been is that as professional sports have gotten bigger and bigger, the players have seen their salaries grow to a degree and then stagnate while the valuations of franchises have exploded. So what we looked to do is create a dynamic system in which the player is rewarded.”

Archived