Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the lame logos and nicknames out East, I havent given up hope this could still be another USFL, mind u the one of 1983 model where David Dixon's plan was in place...the pre-Trump model.

Do we have a player signing with the magnitude of Herschel Walker in our Horizon, wouldnt that be fun to imagine? and if so, who would that player be?...

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

22 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Despite the lame logos and nicknames out East, I havent given up hope this could still be another USFL, mind u the one of 1983 model where David Dixon's plan was in place...the pre-Trump model.

Do we have a player signing with the magnitude of Herschel Walker in our Horizon, wouldnt that be fun to imagine? and if so, who would that player be?...

I don’t know if we know that player, but I would imagine it would be the player that is a stud college player who is expected to go to the NFL but doesn’t declare for the NFL but enters for the AAF.

42 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the AAF.

Amateur

As

F***.

Or at the very least they follow the Denver Gold model, sign no superstars play decent football; make a decent profit. I'm a dreamer, i know...

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

Or at the very least they follow the Denver Gold model, sign no superstars play decent football; make a decent profit. I'm a dreamer, i know...

Ah yes, the Denver Gold.  The only team in the league's entire three year history to show a profit of any kind, only to be immediately sold by the only owner (Ron Blanding) who walked away from the thing with a real profit.  Guy took a $50,000 franchise fee and $1.5 million letter of credit and flipped into $10 million cash within two years.  Nice work if you can get it.

nav-logo.png

I think that the first AAF game will feature the Atlanta Legends at home in Atlanta. This year's Super Bowl is in Atlanta and is being broadcasted by CBS. A week later, CBS will broadcast the first AAF game. Logistically speaking, it makes perfect sense to keep the CBS Super Bowl crew in Atlanta one extra week and have them film the Legends. The CBS Super Bowl crew will be their best crew and you will expect a high quality broadcast or the game, which is exactly what the AAF needs for people to take them seriously as a league. True the Legends are not playing at the dome, but moving the CBS crew across town makes more sense than moving them across the country for the first broadcast. I also kinda think that the Apollos will be the team they play, mainly because of Spurrier's presents in the marketing after the introduction of the league. Given that this league is encouraging betting, I'll bet that is exactly what will happen because it makes the most sense. 

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I think that the first AAF game will feature the Atlanta Legends at home in Atlanta. This year's Super Bowl is in Atlanta and is being broadcasted by CBS. A week later, CBS will broadcast the first AAF game. Logistically speaking, it makes perfect sense to keep the CBS Super Bowl crew in Atlanta one extra week and have them film the Legends. The CBS Super Bowl crew will be their best crew and you will expect a high quality broadcast or the game, which is exactly what the AAF needs for people to take them seriously as a league. True the Legends are not playing at the dome, but moving the CBS crew across town makes more sense than moving them across the country for the first broadcast. I also kinda think that the Apollos will be the team they play, mainly because of Spurrier's presents in the marketing after the introduction of the league. Given that this league is encouraging betting, I'll bet that is exactly what will happen because it makes the most sense. 

That ain't happening.

CBS has the PGA Tour that weekend and Nantz will be broadcasting the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am. Nantz lives there and Romo will likely be playing in it. 

Yeah, no guarantee that the AAF will get CBS's best football announcer team.  Likely it will be some of their College football crew, especially if they are familiar with the SEC and/or PAC 12, where most of the bigger name players will come from (Since AAF teams use regional college draft and most are in SEC and Pac 12 areas). 

15 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Yeah, no guarantee that the AAF will get CBS's best football announcer team.  Likely it will be some of their College football crew, especially if they are familiar with the SEC and/or PAC 12, where most of the bigger name players will come from (Since AAF teams use regional college draft and most are in SEC and Pac 12 areas). 

True there is no guarantee, but why would CBS pay extra to fly in and out people when you can get the same crew? It would make no sense to film the Super Bowl, fly everyone home and then fly in a new crew six days later. You keep everyone in town and save on those expenses. 

26 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

True there is no guarantee, but why would CBS pay extra to fly in and out people when you can get the same crew? It would make no sense to film the Super Bowl, fly everyone home and then fly in a new crew six days later. You keep everyone in town and save on those expenses. 

Again.  Nantz will fly back home to Pebble Beach, period. Everybody involved in the Super Bowl production are fully focused on that six hour telecast. They've got zero time to work in what roster of the Memphis Express looks like. You fly in other staff for the following week because the Super Bowl production team should focus on ya know, the Super Bowl.

CBS's #2 team is Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts. Eagle will be busy with the Brooklyn Nets. Kevin Harlan will be busy with NBA and NCAA basketball.  So will Greg Gumble with studio duty.

You're going to get some CBSSN guys, like Carter Blackburn and Aaron Taylor because they can focus on the product starting in December.  Or AAF uses their own investors as analyst, like Jared Allen.

19 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Again.  Nantz will fly back home to Pebble Beach, period. Everybody involved in the Super Bowl production are fully focused on that six hour telecast. They've got zero time to work in what roster of the Memphis Express looks like. You fly in other staff for the following week because the Super Bowl production team should focus on ya know, the Super Bowl.

CBS's #2 team is Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts. Eagle will be busy with the Brooklyn Nets. Kevin Harlan will be busy with NBA and NCAA basketball.  So will Greg Gumble with studio duty.

You're going to get some CBSSN guys, like Carter Blackburn and Aaron Taylor because they can focus on the product starting in December.  Or AAF uses their own investors as analyst, like Jared Allen.

I'm not really talking about the announcers, I was talking more about the camera crew, tech guys, etc. 

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I'm not really talking about the announcers, I was talking more about the camera crew, tech guys, etc. 

Many of those folks are freelancers and would lose money if sitting for the week.  They can be working basketball or hockey during the week.

4 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

3 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Many of those folks are freelancers and would lose money if sitting for the week.  They can be working basketball or hockey during the week.

These, plus you're then on the hook for accommodations for a crew of probably 50-75 people for an entire week.  You'd have to pay 'em, accommodate 'em, plus at minimum give them a per diem for food.  It'd be cheaper to fly 'em in and out.

nav-logo.png

On 9/21/2018 at 6:21 PM, Mac the Knife said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the AAF.

Amateur

As

F***.

But Charlie Ebersol told The Arizona Republic that they've selling "truckloads of tickets".

OTOH, Salt Lake City's VP of MArketing is not going to start until October 8 and the team president was brought on weeks ago when I linked to their press release.  

On 9/21/2018 at 12:07 AM, dfwabel said:

Oh, Charlie Ebersol.

“We have built a digital platform that is the most robust in professional sports, which allows players to be bonus-ed off of fan interaction,” Ebersol explained. “So if a fan picks a player on a fantasy platform or in a bet – and you'll be able to have in-game betting on our platform – the players actually make money on top of their regular-season salary, which is as high or just short of the NFL practice-squad salary. They’ll be able to make money every time they get picked on a fantasy team, every time they get picked on a bet, every time a fan likes them on Facebook.

That's actually a really great idea for WWE.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm curious on how much advertising CBS will do for this game in the lead up to the Super Bowl and during. CBS would vertically want to advertise the game since they are carrying it, but at what point will they start and to what degree? Are we going to see commercials during CBS NFL games, particularly the playoffs? Will the AAF buy Super Bowl add time? Right now, other than a billboard in Orlando, the AAF marketing is 100% online. CBS and AAF will need to start broadcasting on TV to really get people's attention.

Archived