Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Professional in the same sense guys playing for the Durham Bulls are professional baseball players

Less so, I think.  The Durham Bulls includes some of the highest-value prospects in the Tampa Bay Rays organization.  The highest-value prospects in any NFL organization are already on the payroll, be it the roster or taxi squad.  

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Less so, I think.  The Durham Bulls includes some of the highest-value prospects in the Tampa Bay Rays organization.  The highest-value prospects in any NFL organization are already on the payroll, be it the roster or taxi squad.  

I meant it as that theyre playing a sport and getting paid, therefore professional.  

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I don't see a tyrannical owner suing the NFL and trying to move to the fall.

Then that’ll be good. 

But minor leagues need to accept that they’re minor leagues, and stop trying to compete with major leagues. 

This is low-level football; as long as they accept that, charge accordingly, and don’t pretend they’re anything more, they have a shot of surviving.  

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Professional in the same sense guys playing for the Durham Bulls are professional baseball players

As someone who periodically pays $15 to see the Durham Bulls?  I disagree.  They're not that high on the professionalism scale.  At least not before playing a friggin' game.

The trick will be not spending into oblivion for player talent.  In that realm, the XFL will kick AAF's ass all over the block if it comes down to merely writing checks.

nav-logo.png

As long as they play exciting and competitive football I could care less if you call it professional, minor league or whatever you desire. I can enjoy a good high school or lower division college game or CFL game just as much as the top tier if it’s good, crisp, competitive and fun to watch.

Yes, but would you pay for high school football? 

That's what will matter here; will the quality be high enough to justify the ticket prices needed to sustain the league?  We know from experience, from the many failed leagues, that the formula isn't as simple as it may seem.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:24 AM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

It's professional in the same way the USFL was. 

not even close....lol

Do you even know half the big names who went into this league and once they folded found their way into the NFL?

By year 3, the USFL was playing close to NFL quality football but it came with a huge price...

This AAF league has no desire to sign the Herschels,Steve Youngs,Reggies or Kellys of the world...The only name so far i recognize in the AAF is Trent Richardson lol

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

13 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

not even close....lol

Do you even know half the big names who went into this league and once they folded found their way into the NFL?

By year 3, the USFL was playing close to NFL quality football but it came with a huge price...

This AAF league has no desire to sign the Herschels,Steve Youngs,Reggies or Kellys of the world...The only name so far i recognize in the AAF is Trent Richardson lol

I'm curious to see what happens at the end of the NFL regular season and see how many guys that get cut or are FA get on an AAF roster. 

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Guys will still sign NFL Future contracts.  Going from a full NFL season and practices into the AAF directly is pretty dangerous on one's body. 

Numerous guys in the NFL like Cliff Stoudt,  Dan Ross,Tommy Myers, Pete Kugler,Jim Leclair,Kerry Justin,David Stalls,Dave Lampham,Bruce Laird so many hundreds of others did this in 1983 going into the 1984 USFL season. And these were full NFL seasons then going to the USFL for an additional 18 games(!!!) Its been done before and as far as i know none of those guys died doing it, its possible

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Nothing that happened in 1983 is revant now when it comes to the sport of football.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, mkg74 said:

Numerous guys in the NFL like Cliff Stoudt,  Dan Ross,Tommy Myers, Pete Kugler,Jim Leclair,Kerry Justin,David Stalls,Dave Lampham,Bruce Laird so many hundreds of others did this in 1983 going into the 1984 USFL season. And these were full NFL seasons then going to the USFL for an additional 18 games(!!!) Its been done before and as far as i know none of those guys died doing it, its possible

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Nothing that happened in 1983 is revant now when it comes to the sport of football.

I’m pretty sure i remember watching the Broncos on Sunday Night Football and saw Jay Cutler get a concussion, the announcers play it off as “not a big deal” and he came back in the second half. That was 10ish years ago. Comparing football in 2018 to 1983 is even worse than that

On 10/18/2018 at 10:09 AM, Mac the Knife said:

As someone who periodically pays $15 to see the Durham Bulls?  I disagree.  They're not that high on the professionalism scale.  At least not before playing a friggin' game.

The trick will be not spending into oblivion for player talent.  In that realm, the XFL will kick AAF's ass all over the block if it comes down to merely writing checks.

But on the other hand, the AAF has released plans. Details. We've seen the teams, there are even stadium plans coming out. The XFL hasn't done anything beyond a press conference back in February.

4 hours ago, Quillz said:

But on the other hand, the AAF has released plans. Details. We've seen the teams, there are even stadium plans coming out. The XFL hasn't done anything beyond a press conference back in February.

The XFL isn't beginning its season in four months.

4 hours ago, Quillz said:

25 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The XFL isn't beginning its season in four months.

Precisely.  AAF is doing this the hard, hard way.  The result up to this point has been a slapdash effort, in some cases obviously just thrown together.  The league still has dozens of key team front ofice jobs available less than 20 weeks before their teams start play, in an industry where there are people who would pay you for the privilege of working in sports.  They have good intentions, but no experience.

XFL is taking it's time this time around, trying to do it right.  They're going to take virtually every second of this two-year ramp up to do things just right.  They've made a minimum half billion dollar capital contribution to its success.  They learned the lesson all sports leagues should:  that you don't announce anything until it's locked down, tight.

nav-logo.png

Archived