Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

On 11/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

This is not from the official Memphis website. Nor is this mentioned on any of the Memphis social media pages. I think this is a scam by someone using the Memphis name. 

Kosha Irby, the team president, posted on his Twitter and also to the Memphis Express public Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146274579559746/permalink/301014580752411/

Still a "a scam by someone using the Memphis name"?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

This league really should pump the brakes for this season and combine with the XFL. The AAF has great football people involved but the XFL seems to have the better plan and the needed money. I think Vince is sitting back and just waiting for this league to fail.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That would seem to be a spectacularly bad busiess plan. Every time a minor league fails it makes selling the next minor league even harder. 

I have this little voice inside my head that tells me that an AAF/XFL merger is actually something that's been discussed at some point already, only after the 2020 season, presuming the AAF makes it that far.  DICK Ebersol and Vince McMahon are very, very good friends.  For them to have contrived these as separate leagues only to combine them after a few seasons, consolidating into a single, 12-team league after identifying which of their combined 16 markets will best support their concept?  Wouldn't surprise me at all.

nav-logo.png

5 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

I have this little voice inside my head that tells me that an AAF/XFL merger is actually something that's been discussed at some point already, only after the 2020 season, presuming the AAF makes it that far.  DICK Ebersol and Vince McMahon are very, very good friends.  For them to have contrived these as separate leagues only to combine them after a few seasons, consolidating into a single, 12-team league after identifying which of their combined 16 markets will best support their concept?  Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Meanwhile the Arena Football League will still have 4 teams in 2020, if it's still around by then.  And even if they do expand, the teams will either be owned by Ron Jaworski or Ted Leonisis, similar to when half the league was owned by Jeff Bouchy when it came back and the sport of Indoor football will still be a mess as there will probably be at least 5 more Indoor leagues announced to go with the 6 already in existence and 2 more already announced. 

On 11/18/2018 at 6:06 PM, GDAWG said:

Meanwhile the Arena Football League will still have 4 teams in 2020, if it's still around by then.  And even if they do expand, the teams will either be owned by Ron Jaworski or Ted Leonisis, similar to when half the league was owned by Jeff Bouchy when it came back and the sport of Indoor football will still be a mess as there will probably be at least 5 more Indoor leagues announced to go with the 6 already in existence and 2 more already announced. 

The Arena Football League (or "AFL 2.5," as I call it... AFL 1.0 dying in 2008, AFL 2.0 being upgraded to 2.5 when ownership got whittled down to Jaws and Leonsis) is dead.  It's just that no one's yet to turn off the life support system.  Leonsis believes that legalized gambling is going to save the league, but he's wrong - as if you can lay a wager down on an AFL game, you're more than likely going to plunk that $20 or $50 or whatever on baseball, basketball, hockey, or some other sport with greater popularity than AFL 2.5 now enjoys.

AFL 1.0's mistake was allowing C. David Baker to turn it into a franchise Ponzi scheme.  AFL 2.0's was having a guy in charge (Jerry Kurz) with the personality of a wet rug and a willingness to operate on the cheap, permanently diminishing the perceived value of the product.  A one-two punch like that is one you don't rebound from except in exceptional circumstances, and not even legalized gambling will provide those circumstances in their case.

nav-logo.png

2 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

The Arena Football League (or "AFL 2.5," as I call it... AFL 1.0 dying in 2008, AFL 2.0 being upgraded to 2.5 when ownership got whittled down to Jaws and Leonsis) is dead.  It's just that no one's yet to turn off the life support system.  Leonsis believes that legalized gambling is going to save the league, but he's wrong - as if you can lay a wager down on an AFL game, you're more than likely going to plunk that $20 or $50 or whatever on baseball, basketball, hockey, or some other sport with greater popularity than AFL 2.5 now enjoys.

AFL 1.0's mistake was allowing C. David Baker to turn it into a franchise Ponzi scheme.  AFL 2.0's was having a guy in charge (Jerry Kurz) with the personality of a wet rug and a willingness to operate on the cheap, permanently diminishing the perceived value of the product.  A one-two punch like that is one you don't rebound from except in exceptional circumstances, and not even legalized gambling will provide those circumstances in their case.

C. David Baker's handling of AFL 1.0 hasn't affected his professional life since he runs in the NFL Hall of Fame now. 

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

C. David Baker's handling of AFL 1.0 hasn't affected his professional life since he runs in the NFL Hall of Fame now. 

Oftentimes, families of wealth fail upwards.  See Bakers' sons Sam and Ben. Ben is now St. Director of Broadcasting for NASCAR.  He's in charge of a loser just like Pops.

This league has had a lot of activity since July, but over at OurSportsCentral, any threads involving this league are dead, which sucks because I want to see Sam Hill get in a rage over this league as he's done with all Spring Football Leagues. The football forum hasn't had a post since August

On 11/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, Mac the Knife said:

My thought is that the AAF only exists to muddy the waters for the XFL's return.  Thus assuring that another generation sees the NFL as the only "legit" pro football.

11 minutes ago, NicDB said:

My thought is that the AAF only exists to muddy the waters for the XFL's return.  Thus assuring that another generation sees the NFL as the only "legit" pro football.

As Mac said in one of his earlier posts, it's likely to lead to a merger between the two leagues.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t know about that.  Does MacMahon want to give up half his ownership stake, given the pains he’s gone to in separating it from his WWE interests?

I think McMahon will use the AAF to figure out what works and what doesn't prior to releasing his plans. I would expect kickoffs to be verboten in the XFL as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Lord help me, I'm actually kind of interested in the AAF QB draft.  Maybe I'm just intrigued by the format.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alliance-of-american-football-2019-qb-draft-how-to-watch-stream-eligible-qbs-draft-rules/

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 11/24/2018 at 8:11 AM, Gothamite said:

I don’t know about that.  Does MacMahon want to give up half his ownership stake, given the pains he’s gone to in separating it from his WWE interests?

The XFL2.0 is McMahon's last chance to prove he can be successful at something outside of Pro Wrestling, that's why he's going solo on the venture.

Archived