• Created
  • Last Reply

ROUND 1

Protect:

San Diego Fleet protects: Josh Johnson
    Atlanta Legends protects: Aaron Murray
    Memphis Express protects: Troy Cook
    San Antonio Commanders protects: Dustin Vaughan

Birmingham Iron, Arizona Hotshots, Orlando Apollos, and Salt Lake Stallions elected to pick.

Pick:

Birmingham Iron picks: Luis Perez
    Arizona Hotshots picks: Trevor Knight
    Orlando Apollos picks: Garrett Gilbert
    Salt Lake Stallions picks: Josh Woodrum

ROUND 2:

San Diego Fleet picks: Mike Bercovici
    Birmingham Iron picks: Blake Sims
    Arizona Hotshots picks: John Wolford
    Orlando Apollos picks: Stephen Morris
    Atlanta Legends picks: Matt Simms
    Salt Lake Stallions picks: B.J. Daniels
    Memphis Express picks: Christian Hackenberg
    San Antonio Commanders picks: Marquise Williams

ROUND 3:

San Antonio Commanders picks: Logan Woodside
    Memphis Express picks: Brandon Silvers
    Salt Lake Stallions picks: Austin Allen
    Atlanta Legends picks: Peter Pujals
    Orlando Apollos picks: Austin Appleby
    Arizona Hotshots picks: Quinn McQueary
    Birmingham Iron picks: Scott Tolzien
    San Diego Fleet picks: Philip Nelson

ROUND 4:

San Antonio Commanders picks: Dalton Sturm
    Memphis Express picks: Zach Mettenberger
    Salt Lake Stallions picks: Matt Linehan
    Atlanta Legends picks: Justin Holman
    Orlando Apollos picks: Kevin Anderson
    Arizona Hotshots picks: Jack Heneghan
    Birmingham Iron picks: Alek Torgersen
    San Diego Fleet picks: Alex Ross

15 hours ago, GDAWG said:

"Designed by Riddell"???  Are they just talking about literally the helmet design (moulding, vent holes, facemasks, etc) or the graphics?  Wouldn't the graphics be done by the designer that did the uniforms?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

"Designed by Riddell"???  Are they just talking about literally the helmet design (moulding, vent holes, facemasks, etc) or the graphics?  Wouldn't the graphics be done by the designer that did the uniforms?

Riddell may have given some input on ideas of how to present the teams on the helmets as well, similar to how Nike or adidas will put out striping and number ideas for their uniforms. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

But he was the top draft pick - how's that work?  Does San Diego just get totally hosed?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

But he was the top draft pick - how's that work?  Does San Diego just get totally hosed?

Basically.  Every AAF contract has out clause for the player if he is able to sign a NFL contract.

In this case, Johnson could theoretically finish this NFL season and still play for the AAF. Right now, Washington is still in the Wild Card hunt. All AAF teams start camp in San Antonio on January 4.

Again, these four weeks will make him more money than 2+ seasons in the AAF.

33 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Basically.  Every AAF contract has out clause for the player if he is able to sign a NFL contract.

In this case, Johnson could theoretically finish this NFL season and still play for the AAF. Right now, Washington is still in the Wild Card hunt. All AAF teams start camp in San Antonio on January 4.

Again, these four weeks will make him more money than 2+ seasons in the AAF.

He’ll be back. He’s just a warm body on a 4 week contract.

Regarding Josh Johnson getting signed by the Redskins, it's a desperation move made out of necessity by Washington as Jay Gruden is familiar with Johnson from their days with the Bucs. He's a stop gap there to finish out the season. He'll be back wearing a San Diego uniform and playing in the AAF come February.

And honestly, I think it'll be fine on the AAF's part. I think it'll be very rare for a player to get signed by a NFL club in the middle of the AAF season. Even for those AAF players that get signed by the NFL most will simply be camp bodies or have short term NFL employment. There likely will be a few diamonds in the rough that hit it big, but I reckon that will be the exception and not the rule.

However these dudes can make a good living in the AAF with a solid salary, just like in the CFL, and continue to do what they love to do, which is play football.

1 hour ago, Skycast said:

However these dudes can make a good living in the AAF with a solid salary, just like in the CFL, and continue to do what they love to do, which is play football.

$80K a year is "solid" if you live in Memphis, Birmingham and even Orlando for a family of three or four.

San Diego...not so much.

20 hours ago, dfwabel said:

$80K a year is "solid" if you live in Memphis, Birmingham and even Orlando for a family of three or four.

San Diego...not so much.

Don't forget that the AAF is paying housing/lodging for the players and their families during the season.

4 hours ago, Skycast said:

Don't forget that the AAF is paying housing/lodging for the players and their families during the season.

Are they? They'll get education stipends for making the roster, but housing? Got a source?  Every salary story I read has zero mention of housing during the season, just health insurance and "incentives".

That's going break them even sooner.

Players are getting travel reimbursement, per diem, lodging and meals for the central training camp in San Antonio.

Speaking of San Antonio, folks seem to be buying holiday gifts other than tickets, they're now selling seats to the first two home games (Weeks 1&2) for $30.

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Are they? They'll get education stipends for making the roster, but housing? Got a source? 

Charlie Ebersol said it in a video I saw, if memory serves me correctly it at the beginning of the Quarterback Live Draft coverage. I'm trying to find it online but am striking out so far...I remember because it surprised me.

55 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Charlie Ebersol said it in a video I saw, if memory serves me correctly it at the beginning of the Quarterback Live Draft coverage. I'm trying to find it online but am striking out so far...I remember because it surprised me.

I stand corrected. Troy Polamalu stated it here and basically put them on their own death bed. The bleeding begins in full on January 4, when the players turn in receipts for travel reimbursement.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

I stand corrected. Troy Polamalu stated it here and basically put them on their own death bed. The bleeding begins in full on January 4, when the players turn in receipts for travel reimbursement.

We'll see. All depends on the deal they cut with CBS and the reception they get in their home markets. But I give them better odds than the other two upstarts. 

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Housing and healthcare would be the most significant options. Soneone mentioned cost of living. $80,000 in San Antonio with no rent means these guys can take care of a lot of there personal costs. I'd wonder what that housing looks like though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

We'll see. All depends on the deal they cut with CBS and the reception they get in their home markets. But I give them better odds than the other two upstarts. 

When the majority of your games are on CBSSN, you're not getting millions, especially when CBSSN isn't rated by Neilsen and only gets $0.26/subscriber.

As I stated before, I would not be shocked if AAF is paying for the air time. Heck, were 60 days out and we only know three sponsors: Starter, Riddell and MGM Grand.

Archived