Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching football this weekend and some Pro Bowl ads came on and I had the realization that football fans don’t even like the Pro Bowl. What a lot of these leagues are assuming is that football can be year round but the general feeling seems to be that the Super Bowl is the logical conclusion to the sport.

3 hours ago, raysox said:

I was watching football this weekend and some Pro Bowl ads came on and I had the realization that football fans don’t even like the Pro Bowl. What a lot of these leagues are assuming is that football can be year round but the general feeling seems to be that the Super Bowl is the logical conclusion to the sport.

That doesn’t prove your point though. Fans don’t like the pro bowl because it’s not legitimate competition, it doesn’t mean anything, most of the players don’t even want to be there, the teams aren’t running great plays because they’ve only been practicing together for a week and most don’t even know the coaches, etc. 

it’s very likely that these leagues will fail, but that’s not necessarily why. 

AAF isn’t trying to be the NFL, and isn’t looking for / depending on the same kind of craze the country has for football during August-Feb. I’m not sure if “Red Sox sell out so let’s put a second team there” is accurate either. It’s more like “Phillies sell out so let’s put the River Sharks in Camden, since they’re cheaper, more accessible, and family friendly”. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One day, a pro sports league is going to get rid of its all-star game altogether in favor of a skills competition and/or fan convention.

I know the NHL has recently revamped their all-star game, but they constantly revamp everything so I can't vouch for what they're up to.

But if the NBA were to do the 3-point shootout, the slam dunk competition and replace the actual all-star game with HORSE or mid-season awards show or something like that, would anyone really miss the 160-155 offense exhibition? I do think the captain aspect they had last year was pretty neat -- but do you really need the actual game?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

AAF isn’t trying to be the NFL, and isn’t looking for / depending on the same kind of craze the country has for football during August-Feb. I’m not sure if “Red Sox sell out so let’s put a second team there” is accurate either. It’s more like “Phillies sell out so let’s put the River Sharks in Camden, since they’re cheaper, more accessible, and family friendly”. 

Didn’t the River Sharks move?  😛 

44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Didn’t the River Sharks move?  😛 

Yeah, but more because Rutgers sold their their super-cool stadium to a local business redevelopment company that had other ideas for that land and they didn’t work out a new lease. For unaffiliated/independent baseball in a s-hole of a city, they did pretty well. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Honestly, MLB, NBA, and NHL all-star weekend is more interesting because it's moved around and the 'other stuff' with the game is honestly more interesting.

The skills competitions at NBA and NHL ASGs are more interesting than the games. The Home Run Derby is more interesting than the ASG. The NFL doesn't have anything else for their game. And the players all much preferred the week in Hawaii than now that it's moved around Orlando and elsewhere.

I'd say if NFL adjusted the rules and made it like 7-on-7 with no real linemen it'd be more interesting. Maybe get rid of the 10-yards for the first down and instead make it 25, etc. No defensive players across the line-of-scrimmage. Ease the penalties in the passing game. No zone. All man-on-man coverages. No double-teams. No zones. No punts. All 4th downs must go for it or a field goal. Make it an aerial show.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, DG_Now said:

But if the NBA were to do the 3-point shootout, the slam dunk competition and replace the actual all-star game with HORSE

I've tried to get (back) into the NBA, but it just won't take. I can't remember the last time I watched the all-star game or any of its related activities (Gerald Green blowing out a candle, Dwight Howard wearing a Superman outfit, and Blake Griffin jumping over a Kia - then a big ???)

...but damn if I wouldn't watch NBA players in a game of HORSE. Why in the hell don't they do this already?!?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

16 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I've tried to get (back) into the NBA, but it just won't take. I can't remember the last time I watched the all-star game or any of its related activities (Gerald Green blowing out a candle, Dwight Howard wearing a Superman outfit, and Blake Griffin jumping over a Kia - then a big ???)

...but damn if I wouldn't watch NBA players in a game of HORSE. Why in the hell don't they do this already?!?

The NBA had a season long HORSE competition back in the late 70s.  It aired during halftime of games on CBS.

In terms of excitement level, it was like watching the old "Home Run Derby" series from the late 50s-early 60s.

According to Wiki, the NBA also had a HORSE competition during All Star Weekend in 2009 and 2010.  I have no memory of this. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_All-Star_Weekend_H–O–R–S–E_Competition

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

The NBA had a season long HORSE competition back in the late 70s.  It aired during halftime of games on CBS.

In terms of excitement level, it was like watching the old "Home Run Derby" series from the late 50s-early 60s.

According to Wiki, the NBA also had a HORSE competition during All Star Weekend in 2009 and 2010.  I have no memory of this. 

CBS also did a halftime 3-on-3 segment too

The 2009 competition was pretty dreadful. It was held outside w/ EJ trying to keep it moving and most folks knew Durant was gonna win.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

That was a fun watch, that got full attention more than a NBA game did in 5 years. 

Well, back to the AAF, their combined training camp in San Antonio started today.

San Antonio completed their coaching staff on Thursday with former Nebraska wide receivers coach Keith Williams and veteran coach Jonathan Himebauch joining Mike Riley, per footballscoop.com

They've secretly had cuts and other signings as each team only brought 75 guys to camp.

And as told to the Express-News by AAF's Head of Business Operations, Tom Veit, San Antonio was leading in both season ticket and merchandise sales, but wouldn't disclose actual numbers. 

11 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Anyone heard anything about any fantasy stuff yet?

Maybe someone should petition for one on here.

How about we wait for them to complete a season with nobody folding and no payrolls being missed before we talk about fantasy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why would you put money into fantasy leagues for AAF when you don't even know who the players are or which teams are good?  That's the sign of a degenerate gambler that'll end up on the streets some day.

I ran across this on a coaching blog this morning:

AAF: The Alliance of American Football, currently conducting training camp in San Antonio, is looking for immediate temporary help for the month of January in the following departments: equipment, video, and football operations. A stipend, housing, and meals will be provided. Please reach out to name (name redacted) to apply.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, leopard88 said:

....  I have no memory of this. 

Not to tangent from the AAF thread purpose but...

Oh man, was that sweet to watch

Like being 14 all over again.  The Pistol and the Iceman in their prime... I still love that old Jazz uniform look, though something seems off about Maravich's name on the back of the jersey-- much bigger;different font than I remember.

I'm actually old enough to remember those CBS late '70s H-O-R-S-E competitions on TV .  Filmed at the open-air atrium of  the "Omni International Complex", which still exists today as CNN Center.  I walked through there many a time before and after Hawks games when I lived in Atlanta back in the late 80s/early 90s...

It is what it is.

19 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Not to tangent from the AAF thread purpose but...

Oh man, was that sweet to watch

Like being 14 all over again.  The Pistol and the Iceman in their prime... I still love that old Jazz uniform look, though something seems off about Maravich's name on the back of the jersey-- much bigger;different font than I remember.

I'm actually old enough to remember those CBS late '70s H-O-R-S-E competitions on TV .  Filmed at the open-air atrium of  the "Omni International Complex", which still exists today as CNN Center.  I walked through there many a time before and after Hawks games when I lived in Atlanta back in the late 80s/early 90s...

I remember this too . . .but I was only 11 or 12.  :)

I had no idea where the competition was filmed.  It didn't occur to me that it wasn't an actual arena of some sort.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived