Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

He must have been asked by a prospective new NFL coach to be his offensive coordinator.  He was a mentor to Kevin Stefanski, who is a finalist for the Browns job.

I think we're going to find this a regularity with the AAF if they survive. Players and coaches will be using it as a jumping off point for NFL stints. And to the AAF's credit, they've made that part of their structure understanding that working with the NFL is going to be their best path to survival. 

15 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I think we're going to find this a regularity with the AAF if they survive. Players and coaches will be using it as a jumping off point for NFL stints. And to the AAF's credit, they've made that part of their structure understanding that working with the NFL is going to be their best path to survival. 

I think we'll see this more with coaches than players though I have noticed a lot of CFL players being released to sign with NFL teams the last couple weeks. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

33 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think we'll see this more with coaches than players though I have noticed a lot of CFL players being released to sign with NFL teams the last couple weeks. 

CFL free agents have long had the ability to sign Futures contracts with NFL teams through the date CFL agency begins, the second week in February. Typically, 80% return north. Plus, this year, CFL players had their off-season bonuses withheld due to the end of the CBA.

36 minutes ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

Place your bets Y'all AAF, XFL, APL, Or the FFL.

AAF I think has the most likelihood of survival (which admittedly still isn't very likely). They're first to market, have a TV contract (albiet not a terribly good one but at least they have one), have chosen complimentary cities rather than directly competing cities with both the NFL and competitors, have chosen reasonably priced venues for their teams, seem to have fair but controlled player costs. In a crowded field of leagues (below) being first out the gate with the most NFL complimentary viewpoint I think gives them the edge the others lack.

XFL I don't see surviving again for a couple of reasons. First all but one of their teams are in markets already saturated with other football (mainly NFL and NCAA), while they claim otherwise they still have an antagonistic streak toward the NFL in their zeal to differentiate (and again in market placement). No TV deal, they're going primarily online it seems. And they're overpaying for things like venues already as we're seeing. It's as if they learned nothing from XFL 1.0. 

FFL is crowdfunding teams and has no big money backing them... I've doubts they'll even play a game nevermind survive. I mean no real sense of even where they'd play their games, and they've put their teams in cities that already will have AAF or XFL teams in several cases. 

APL is playing a 2019 season supposedly but have only announced 4 cities out of 8... they seem about as fly by night as it gets. 

And don't forget the Pacific Pro Football League. Yet another league announced in recent weeks. They two are now triple dipping on several cities that AAF, XFL, FFL have beat them to. Though I will say they've got Adidas sponsoring them... so there's that. 

1 hour ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

Place your bets Y'all AAF, XFL, APL, Or the FFL.

XFL has $500,000,000 in capital. Losses on his only season of the original XFL after adjusting for inflation was around $57,000,000. Assuming similar and even mounting losses, that capital should last 5 years. Only the AAF might survive that long and I honestly foresee a merger down the line that might turn into the NFL's minor league. I know college is right now, but I wonder how long they can go without directly and openly  compensating their players financially? Could be something to pay attention to as well.

40 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I am betting all of my money on those fellas up North, who play a different version of the game known as Canadian Football.

The CFL survives on the margins as it is.  Now they're going into the most important CBA talks in their history but they've yet to set a date to begin talks.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

I am betting all of my money on those fellas up North, who play a different version of the game known as Canadian Football.

Yeah my money is on the CFL as well. Their game is just popular enough, and just differentiated enough, to continue to survive as it has for a century. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, Gothamite said:

Well, that was quick.

An Orlando assistant is also leaving to join the Buccaneers staff.

“Bruce said, ‘The Tampa job is open and I think maybe I’ll look into it. I’ll let you know what I find out,’” Rapone said. “The next time I heard from him was Tuesday when he said he got the job and he wanted me to join his staff.

“I never expected Bruce to come out of retirement. It was a total shock. But I’m happy, that’s for sure. Not many coaches get a chance to coach in the NFL.”

Rapone, 62, said he plans to accept the position as defensive backs coach for the Buccaneers pending his release from the Steve Spurrier-coached Orlando Apollos of the newly minted Alliance of American Football. He joined the Apollos when his season ended at the University of Delaware in the fall.

From yesterday (it's 17 minutes long):

At the 4:00 mark, the host asks about the initial game attendance and Waddell skated the sales number and hum/had to say, "we would love to have between 25-30 (thousand) that been the norm for early season spring football".  At the end, he tried to sell that the stadium would have 30,000 seats $35 and under. 

Rough to lose coaches right before the season like that, but you could also see it as a positive... your coaches must be NFL quality if they’re getting poached for NFL teams.

Archived