Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

21 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Rough to lose coaches right before the season like that, but you could also see it as a positive... your coaches must be NFL quality if they’re getting poached for NFL teams.

Said coach has known Arians since the 80's when Bruce was HC at Temple and he was an assistant. He also was on his Cardinals staff until Bruce stepped down after last season. Longtime football pals hook each other up.

Even with the NCAA adding the 10th Assistant Coach for Division 1, there are more guys looking for jobs than jobs available. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Rough to lose coaches right before the season like that, but you could also see it as a positive... your coaches must be NFL quality if they’re getting poached for NFL teams.

The league certainly doesn’t seem upset about it. Coaches and QBs being poached mean they may be on to something with this AAAA level league in terms of getting that overflow talent and giving them something better to do than just sit on NFL practice squads.

44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You honestly think that the level of play in this league will be better than the big college conferences?

Unlees star players start bypassing college signing out of HS just to get paid sooner, it’s pretty much impossible that these teams will be better or even equal than the top conference teams. 

On average, #10-50 on each roster might  be equal or even better, but 1-10 (at least) won’t even be close. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Unlees star players start bypassing college signing out of HS just to get paid sooner, it’s pretty much impossible that these teams will be better or even equal than the top conference teams. 

On average, #10-50 on each roster might  be equal or even better, but 1-10 (at least) won’t even be close. 

That was my thought as well.  The best college players will go right to the NFL.  The best players in the AAF will be those who couldn't get on an NFL squad.

Now, there may well be some diamonds in the rough who just needed another chance to prove themselves.  We've seen those come out of most minor leagues.  But those are the exceptions, not the rule.  I would expect the overall quality of play to be significantly below most college conferences.  Certainly the Power Five, but likely well below many others as well.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, that will certainly have to be seen to be believed.

You honestly think that the level of play in this league will be better than the big college conferences?

I mean on the balance, yes. Keep in mind only 2% of NCAA football players are drafted to the NFL. That leaves a lot of talent just sitting around or playing in alt leagues like the CFL currently. Will they have that one or two guys who are heisman possibilities from the top Power 5 teams, no. But they’ll probably have better players than many college teams have Power 5 or otherwise, who were aged out of college but weren’t in that two percent. Will they be better than Bama and Clemson and the top of the Top 25, probably not. But they’ll be on par with most NCAA and CFL teams I’d think.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, Sykotyk said:

Two games simultaneously to kickoff the league and then two games that Sunday that will probably overlap some. I'm not buying the whole two hour game play thing working. 

The inconsistent kickoff times are more concerning to me as it really indicates that they are buying time on CBSSN.  The network would move NCAA hoops start times if they were truly invested.

Wonder if the NFL blocks off the month of January to be exclusive? Feels like starting Weeks 1-3 starting this Saturday and running through Super Bowl weekend would get the league off to a running start before people come to grips with not having football for 8 months the week after the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The inconsistent kickoff times are more concerning to me as it really indicates that they are buying time on CBSSN.  The network would move NCAA hoops start times if they were truly invested.

They're pretty consistent actually after week 1. Sat always had the night game at 8pm Eastern, and Sunday has games at 4 and 8pm Eastern. Really the only floater is the early Saturday game which bounces between 2, 3, and 4pm various weeks. Considering CBS undoubtedly has other programming on the schedule during that early Saturday block it’s not too bad.

8 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Now that the Patriots have made it to their third straight Super Bowl, how many of us are looking forward to the start of the AAF season?

I’ll head to Orlando’s opening game because it’s cheap, but after that I’m not sure how much I’ll care about the AAF. I’m still not convinced this league will be around in more than a year or two.

ExJworW.png

54 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I’ll head to Orlando’s opening game because it’s cheap, but after that I’m not sure how much I’ll care about the AAF. I’m still not convinced this league will be around in more than a year or two.

I've said this before, but I want a second season so we can get Hot Shots Part Deux.

Archived