Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Turner doesn't really need a lead in for the ASG. The NBA fan is going to watch regardless.  The lead in would just have been some movie.  Plus, the B/R Live side will air a February 9 one hour special to introduce the league.  This quote from Turner's Lenny Daniels is also key to indicate it is a time buy at worst and no rights fees at best and they are splitting ad revenues, "This is a true partnership and The Alliance will have our full support in the distribution of its live game coverage and content across the Turner Sports portfolio.”

Guess we're reading that statement different. I'd be shocked if AAF is having to buy time. AAF may be paying to produce the content, but I'd bet what hair I have left Turner bought the right to air it. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Guess we're reading that statement different. I'd be shocked if AAF is having to buy time. AAF may be paying to produce the content, but I'd bet what hair I have left Turner bought the right to air it. 

They desperately need demographics and ratings data to give advertisers for CBSSN. A week 1 game on CBS kinda helps, but a week 2 game on TNT does them more realistic ideas for what to charge.  The 20 minute talk I posted yesterday from the VP  discussing the remote broadcasting gave a deeper dive into their expenses and distribution.

3 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

altfantasysports.com  has a fantasy service up and running. Looks pretty good

Regardless of league, I don't care about you wanting to play fantasy or touring a service which,"looks pretty good," hours after rosters are set.

1 hour ago, nickp91 said:

Hell of a deal for the AAF They’ll have 4 games a week with 2 on NFL Network 1 on CBS Sports Network and 1 on BR Live

is it a hell of a deal if the end result is that nobody watches when the season ends?

22 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

is it a hell of a deal if the end result is that nobody watches when the season ends?

That's always the risk. But frankly if the quality of football is decent, and it doesn't get derailed by the sideshow issues that took down XFL. It might have a shot. I mean God knows the interest in football has increased since 2001. Good news for them is that they have better broadcast partners than the more recent defunct league (the UFL). Who were only on a local RSN by Season 2(and only on HDNet and Versus in Season 1). 

35 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

NFL Network deal is official. 19 games on the network and now all games being broadcast on CBS, TNT, CBSSN, NFLN and Bleacher Report Live. 

Final TV schedule is as follows:

46952382421_184c1acc37_o.jpg

Being on the NFL Network is a big boon for this league.

But why are two games (Atlanta-Orlando and San Diego - San Antonio) listed for the same time (8pm Eastern) on CBS on February 9? 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Being on the NFL Network is a big boon for this league.

But why are two games (Atlanta-Orlando and San Diego - San Antonio) listed for the same time (8pm Eastern) on CBS on February 9? 

Because they’re on at the same time. Both games are at 8 Eastern. If I had to guess, they’ll be jumping between them Red Zone style.

25 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

They need a game to switch to if one game is a blowout. 

Also not a bad supposition. Last thing they would want in the inaugural game on TV is for it to suck. Particularly when there's a better game on elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Also not a bad supposition. Last thing they would want in the inaugural game on TV is for it to suck. Particularly when there's a better game on elsewhere. 

The XFL did this for their inaugural broadcast, but pulled the trigger way too late on the NY/NJ-Vegas slog to go to the last-minute Chicago-Orlando finish.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

51 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Going "Red Zone" style is difficult for Week 1 as they need to make sure that viewers know who the players are. Constantly switching between even two games with rosters people don't really know will cause confusion which they'll read about via Twitter.

Now, I wonder if the release of the AAF app is delayed or at least some aspects of it since games will also be streamed via B/R Live.  Ebersol has called themselves a "technology company" first and foremost, and basically, told us the app was to be a panacea  for all sport and gaming apps before them.  That app is nearly as important as the quality of play.

Archived