Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Well, they cannot count on ASU students for either of their next two home games since they are when ASU is on Spring Break*.

March 3 vs. Atlanta

March 10 vs. San Antonio.

*I'm not going to go over when the school districts have break since Maricopa County has 58 school districts.  WTF?

I love the concept of Arizona State students going on spring break. You go to Arizona State... every day is spring break if you want it to be. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Well, they cannot count on ASU students for either of their next two home games since they are when ASU is on Spring Break*.

March 3 vs. Atlanta

March 10 vs. San Antonio.

*I'm not going to go over when the school districts have break since Maricopa County has 58 school districts.  WTF?

And we have people freaking out because we have 12 in San Antonio! How many kids from other colleges come to Phoenix though? San Antonio has the rodeo going on through the 26th so playing Sunday afternoon makes me wonder how they'll do. Next year they should probably be on thr road for most of the first half, the Spurs rodeo road trip is treated  like zn event here which is probably why they play 3 home games in the first 4 games. They sent out an invite for Meet the Team night at noon today for a 6PM event. I don't know how many folks will make that with so little heads up. They have been making sure to get on billboards and some TV though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 hours ago, raysox said:

A few weeks ago, I did some research because I wanted to know the towns that had stadiums with suitable capacity, and would be different from other spring leagues. So that would eliminate:

Freedom Football League - Oakland, Portland, Connecticut, and OKC(which other than the AAA park, I have no idea where they'd play)

There is a recently renovated football/soccer stadium in Oklahoma City. (without Googling to confirm) I believe it's name is Taft Stadium. IIRC it used to seat a little under 20K before the renovation, but less afterwards. From what I could eyeball that last time a saw a picture, it still can seat at least 10K. Assuming the Freedom league is in the spring, that team would/could share that venue with a second division soccer club.

EDIT: eventually Goolged Taft Stadium and saw it's listed capacity is 7,500

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, Wings said:

If the AAF were to put a team in Oklahoma, I think Tulsa would be a better option even though it's a smaller market than OKC. Skelly Stadium (Univ. Of Tulsa) seats 30,000. 

That is where the Oklahoma Outlaws of the USFL played. Could work, but expansion shouldn't occur unless there is demand for it. Relocation, though? Remains to be seen.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Bay Area?  I dunno, minor league sports are a very tough sell there.  Unless they pick a smaller community and latch on to it.

Unless they’re the Sausalito Sharks, that one would seem doomed to failure. 

The cost of housing players and coaches (plus possibly support folks) isn't worth the trouble.

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

We're eventually working toward an XFL/AAF merger, aren't we?

Does Vince merge and assume someone else's debt?  I cannot really think of a case.

51 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Bay Area?  I dunno, minor league sports are a very tough sell there.  Unless they pick a smaller community and latch on to it.

Unless they’re the Sausalito Sharks, that one would seem doomed to failure. 

Makes sense to me because there are plenty of venues to play at, large tv market, and with the Raiders leaving and the rest of the college teams and the 49ers playing poorly, there would be great fan interest. 

And the AAF is not minor league.

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The AAF media guide does state that expansion is in their plans for 2020.

My 2 cents:

Louisville, Las Vegas, the Bay Area (Oakland/San Jose/San Fransisco), Chicago.

If there's a Las Vegas AAF team, it will be run better than the Raiders. 

Bay Area? Not sure about that. Would think they'd give Sacramento a go before the bay? The Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL had good attendance.

Honestly I feel the AAF should stay at 8 teams for at least 5 seasons before considering expansion.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

31 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Makes sense to me because there are plenty of venues to play at, large tv market, and with the Raiders leaving and the rest of the college teams and the 49ers playing poorly, there would be great fan interest. 

And the AAF is not minor league.

Stanford was 9-4... that's not playing poorly and Cal's 7-6 season was their best since 2015 and second best since 2011. I'll give you SJSU, but AAF would draw as well as they do.

Where could you and your boss actually play? The XFL got a no from the Coliseum as the A's pulled rank with their lease. Cannot play in Berkeley, period. That leaves Stanford, SJSU, and Avaya, where they're likely not going to ruin the turf for an upcoming MLS season as it rains a lot in February.

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

We're eventually working toward an XFL/AAF merger, aren't we?

That's the conspiracy I've read several times. I don't know what the new league would be called but I hope the conferences are called Alliance and Xtreme (Iknow the X doesn't actually stand for anything) similar to AFC and NFC.

Now I'm going to write some words about Little Rock (the One True City of Arkansas, patent pending) since it has been brought up by more than one poster for some reason. Little Rock is small. Memphis and Birmingham are generally considered small markets for pro sports, but Little Rock is even smaller. The Little Rock metro has 700K people while the supposedly small Birmingham metro has 1.1 million.

Little Rock is also a generally bad sports town if it doesn't involve the Razorbacks. The Rimrockers were one of the few ABA teams that actually did okay, meaning they made it through a full season and everything. Their success was built on the back of having former Hog players that couldn't make it in the NBA. They did so well that they got into the D-League, but without any Razorback players people stopped caring and they folded. We also had two different minor league hockey teams for a season and both were dead within a few years. The NPSL Rangers seem to do okay, drawing around 3-4K per game.

We do have a War Memorial Stadium which holds 50-something thousand and is in desperate need of something, anything going on there. The Razorbacks keep trying to pull out of playing games there for a bunch of reasons that all make sense, but backwards-ass political nonsense keeps them there for now. It's only a matter of time before the state catches up with everybody else and games stopped being played at War Memorial and then it'll just be a venue for high school football and amateur soccer.

The state of Arkansas is apparently supposed to waste a bunch of taxpayer  money renovating War Memorial under the most recent extension with the Razorbacks though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 minute ago, rams80 said:

The state of Arkansas is apparently supposed to waste a bunch of taxpayer  money renovating War Memorial under the most recent extension with the Razorbacks though.

That falls under the backwards-ass political nonsense.

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

:blink:

That’s a ludicrous claim that not even the league would make with a straight face.

Hell, they’re currently pretending to be “official affiliates” of NFL clubs. 

I watched most of their coverage from this past weekend and the main thing they said was basically, “we’re definitely the minors and everybody here wants to get the hell out and into the NFL AND THAT’S OKAY.” 

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Stanford was 9-4... that's not playing poorly and Cal's 7-6 season was their best since 2015 and second best since 2011. I'll give you SJSU, but AAF would draw as well as they do.

Where could you and your boss actually play? The XFL got a no from the Coliseum as the A's pulled rank with their lease. Cannot play in Berkeley, period. That leaves Stanford, SJSU, and Avaya, where they're likely not going to ruin the turf for an upcoming MLS season as it rains a lot in February.

Why not?

Archived