LAWeaver

Death of the Alliance of American Football

Recommended Posts

It's too early to even think about expansion.  They need to get through the season first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Exactly!

 

Claiming “fake news!” when your chairman is now admitting the league was in money trouble doesn’t add much to the conversation.

 

i know how hard it is to work for a struggling business. I’ve been there, and it’s no fun. But insisting up is down won’t help the situation any. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Claiming “fake news!” when your chairman is now admitting the league was in money trouble doesn’t add much to the conversation.

 

This.

Dundon and today Spurrier have said that the league was not fully funded for year 1 because (at least) one angel investor promised/pledged to give an amount, but never did.  Also, be reminded that all of this was rushed a week ago today, when Ebersol told the AP that there were no rights fees with their contracts. Link

They get $$$ on Thursday and game checks are delayed until Tuesday.

 

In addition, they cannot find an insurance company for all eight teams as nobody wants to insure a Florida team. In January, a week before starting, SBJ/D reported that the AAF finally was able to get liability insurance without head trauma coverage, and it is buying workers’ compensation through “last-resort” state pools. As we can see, the state of Florida pool doesn't include athletes.

Edited by dfwabel
added link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Now you've got this today.

Orlando Apollos are now training in Georgia as a result of Florida's Workers Comp laws and the injury the player suffered against San Antonio.

 

Who failed to research this? Just another expense or issue that they should have known about.

 

 

 

 

When the AAF came in, they were told that all the state's issues regarding this had been resolved. Once they started setting up, they were told otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

 

Claiming “fake news!” when your chairman is now admitting the league was in money trouble doesn’t add much to the conversation.

 

i know how hard it is to work for a struggling business. I’ve been there, and it’s no fun. But insisting up is down won’t help the situation any. 

I know what's really going on, and what was being reported was not truthful and tried to correlate two separate issues into one, assuming that it was part of a bigger picture. It wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I know what's really going on

 

Then you'd better start speaking your truth instead of just shouting "LIES!" at every sourced and attributed news report that shows how much trouble this league is in, because that's how facts work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I know what's really going on, and what was being reported was not truthful and tried to correlate two separate issues into one, assuming that it was part of a bigger picture. It wasn't.

 

And yet the league’s new investor has started to confirm that early reporting. 

 

Cries of “fake news!” are almost always a sign that the facts being reported are as inconvenient as they are true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

When the AAF came in, they were told that all the state's issues regarding this had been resolved. Once they started setting up, they were told otherwise. 

 

Who exactly are you saying “told” them that?  Specifically?  Are you saying they were told they didn’t have to follow the law, or that they were told they had insurance coverage they didn’t actually buy?

 

Vague claims aren’t helpful here.  They only harm your position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

 

When the AAF came in, they were told that all the state's issues regarding this had been resolved. Once they started setting up, they were told otherwise. 

It really isn't an "issue", it's a law which former Governor Rick Scott signed back in June 2011.  The Jaguars and Magic were the main lobbyists for the change in the law.

 

This is also the AAF side, not the state because in the link above there is this...

Quote

The benefit for this legislation to other Florida employers is that when their employees are injured in the course and scope of employment in another state (for short term travel of under 10 days or under 25 days in the year), the employee is still entitled to benefits as if he or she was injured in Florida.

 

The bill also includes language that gives out of state employers the power to exempt themselves from Florida laws if they carry workers comp insurance for the injured employee in their own state. This statute is effective only if the other states have similar laws, which is where the “reciprocity” portion comes into place. California and roughly 10 other states already have this type of law. So for professional sports teams and other Florida employers, this is a good step for Florida workers’ compensation insurance.

 

 

 

While Bill Polian knows his football, there are several others who aren't doing their ancillary jobs well at all.  Seriously, I just hope the educational stipends also promised along with the full health insurance is being honored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

And yet the league’s new investor has started to confirm that early reporting. 

 

Cries of “fake news!” are almost always a sign that the facts being reported are as inconvenient as they are true. 

 

So has Steve Spurrier.  Spurrier is the first one to speak in the clip and goes right in.

 

https://lnns.co/5S2fV8tiRwO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know if the AAF uses analytics since that seems to be the hip cool thing in sports these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Who exactly are you saying “told” them that?  Specifically?  Are you saying they were told they didn’t have to follow the law, or that they were told they had insurance coverage they didn’t actually buy?

 

Vague claims aren’t helpful here.  They only harm your position. 

1

I'm curiious about that now myself.  

 

Was it someone within the Office of Insurance Regulation who failed to inform the AAF (or a contracted rep) that an eight-year-old law specifically regarding pro sports did not apply to them?

 

Was it someone working for (or on behalf) of the AAF failed to tell the league the news?

 

One sounds much more probable than the other.

 

Just like the Orlando hosts said regarding Spurrier's comments about the investor...

"If you've ever tried to figure out who's telling the truth and who is lying, just take both statements at face value, then flip it real fast and then go, 'Why would this person lie when they are saying it?'....The story Steve Spurrier said, there's no benefit for him to make that up or fabricate."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Do we know if the AAF uses analytics since that seems to be the hip cool thing in sports these days.

 

They claim they’re more a tech start-up than a sports league.  So probably, yeah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

They claim they’re more a tech start-up than a sports league.  So probably, yeah. 

 

What is this fascination with analytics in sports anyways?  I don't get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

 

What is this fascination with analytics in sports anyways?  I don't get it. 

It helps with taking the risk out of decision making during games.

 

The AAF is likely to just consult with Championship Analytics, who are basically the go-to guys for football analytics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

 

Then you'd better start speaking your truth instead of just shouting "LIES!" at every sourced and attributed news report that shows how much trouble this league is in, because that's how facts work.

Problem is that I can't! NDAs or whatever. I can either give you all the details or lose my job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Problem is that I can't! NDAs or whatever. I can either give you all the details or loose my job.

That's fair. We've had people "in the know" about uniform unveilings who lost lost either jobs or access because they shared too much. We don't want anyone to put themselves at risk like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Understood, then. If you legally can't talk about it, hopefully you're not talking all about it here in 10 to 12 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really surprised so many people want this league to fail.  Every other major sport has some form of minor league system, but this is a “joke” or a bad idea?  I don’t get it.  For those who have had their fill of football...don’t watch it.  Sure the AAF didn’t dot every ‘I’ and cross every ‘T’ when it came to a game plan, but It looks a hell of a lot more thought out than 99% percent of the other start up attempts.  I bought tickets for the April 6th game in San Antonio and thinking positively there will be a game to go to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.