Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously it's the second-rate football that is more to blame for fans not showing up, but it seems clear that they either need to make next season start in March (if they even are able to) or relocate teams to domes/southern cities with no other pro team.

17 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Obviously it's the second-rate football that is more to blame for fans not showing up, but it seems clear that they either need to make next season start in March (if they even are able to) or relocate teams to domes/southern cities with no other pro team.

Many domed stadiums are North and I don't see the AAF going above the Mason-Dixon line for 2020 (if there is a second season).  There are domes in New Orleans, Dallas and Houston, but Dallas and Houston are going to be part of the XFL and if the AAF goes to New Orleans, they will probably go to Yulman Stadium in Tulane.  There's that dome in St. Petersburg, Florida, but nobody wants to play there, not even the Tampa Bay Rays. 

57 minutes ago, Wings said:

Let's actually ponder the question of who sucks more? Christian Hackenberg (great name for a lousy QB by the way) or The Mars Volta

I just don't understand why you want to fist fight me.

I talked to some friends who attempted to attend today's Salt Lake game. Foolishly they thought the ticket office would be open or that the AAF app would allow them to buy tickets or that the security guards/ticket takers would take pity on the team and accept money from these fans. They didn't. So here we are.

It seems every half-baked league (NHL excluded) thinks it can roll into town, give bare minimum effort and earn Jazz/RSL/Ute/Cougar level of support.

People around here can smell this garbage from a mile away and I'm glad they didn't fall for it. Too bad for the players though.

I look forward to seeing children in some war-torn or hurricane ravaged nation wearing Stallions gear over the next few years (note: I'm assuming they have merch. I literally haven't seen any).

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

6 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

I talked to some friends who attempted to attend today's Salt Lake game. Foolishly they thought the ticket office would be open or that the AAF app would allow them to buy tickets or that the security guards/ticket takers would take pity on the team and accept money from these fans. They didn't. So here we are.

It seems every half-baked league (NHL excluded) thinks it can roll into town, give bare minimum effort and earn Jazz/RSL/Ute/Cougar level of support.

People around here can smell this garbage from a mile away and I'm glad they didn't fall for it. Too bad for the players though.

I look forward to seeing children in some war-torn or hurricane ravaged nation wearing Stallions gear over the next few years (note: I'm assuming they have merch. I literally haven't seen any).

Wait. The stadium ticket windows weren't selling tickets? 

6 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Really!?!? San Antonio made sure to have their ticket office fully staffed! Is that on the GM for not wanting to pay the extra money? 

As far as merchandise, the Commanders had 3 areas set up to sell and even had some items that aren't on the web sites. I got a scarf and foam finger for $21.

When they talked about a team moving because of the $250 million investment I figured Salt Lake would be the team to move. Yesterday added to my belief.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I think a mid-February start would help with some of the weather issues.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think a mid-February start would help with some of the weather issues.

There is a sign on the local sporting goods store where I live. It says 'There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing'.

While this is more in relation to camping at this particular store, I have taken it to heart for football. If fans wanted to go, weather shouldn't be a deterrent. 

It's where I sit.

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

There is a sign on the local sporting goods store where I live. It says 'There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing'.

While this is more in relation to camping at this particular store, I have taken it to heart for football. If fans wanted to go, weather shouldn't be a deterrent. 

But if you're on the fence about a game or a league, 39 degrees vs 50 degres can play a part. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s an ok-ish crowd? They announced it as 20,000 and change. 

That was the announced, but do have a bead on the actual?  They aren’t the same thing, and for a league that gives away as many tickets as we know this one gives away....

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That was the announced, but do have a bead on the actual?  They aren’t the same thing, and for a league that gives away as many tickets as we know this one gives away....

You have paid attendance, which is what is announced, and gate attendance, which is how many people actually show up. The team itself only announces paid because regardless of whether they show up or not, those tickets were sold, paid for and the team collected money. Actual gate attendance is more important to the event staff, i.e., concessions, retail, etc. Those are the people who are going to be spending money on the day of the game/event. We I ran the team store for the Springfield Cardinals, I had to check the actual gate attendance every night. We based our "per cap" (amount sold in relation to the number of people in attendance). Same with our concessions. We'd take the sales/number of people which would tell us how much money each person spent on average.

Paid attendance means nothing to gameday staff. You could sell out the entire stadium and have no one show up and they're not gonna make anything more than the tickets that were sold. The entire operation cannot be successful in this scenario.

58 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

But if you're on the fence about a game or a league, 39 degrees vs 50 degres can play a part. 

Right. Given the lack of attendance, there is a lack of fans who are "fans". Again, I'm not against the AAF, but I'm trying to point out some of the unrealistic expectations that have been made. Not pointing a finger at you -- I'm just saying that low attendance shouldn't come as a surprise since this is what it is -- second tier football.

It's where I sit.

10 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The league has already stated that they are expanding in 2020, that information is even in the Media Guide. The question is if it will be by two or four teams. 

Ah, the 2000s Arena League model.   Let me know when Utah is on eBay.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

19 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The league has already stated that they are expanding in 2020, that information is even in the Media Guide. The question is if it will be by two or four teams. 

Saying and doing are two different things. 

It's where I sit.

4 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Just saying, that’s likely more indicative that most there don’t care about the team rather than the weather being a detriment.

May 17, 2018 was the day the team was announced. The AAF had from that date to sell seats. They failed and fewer people care about the concept of alt-football.

Tech company or football company, they're underfunded, poorly planned, and that's before getting to the on-field product.

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Wait. The stadium ticket windows weren't selling tickets? 

The Box Office might not be open as long since the attendance is meager at best and the game is quicker.

From a Utah Utes message board:

we Tried to pay and still couldn’t get in. My little girl had dance at the U today and my 12-year-old boy wanted to go to the Stallions game instead of going skiing.

We all rode up together and the girls went to dance and we tried to goto the game. We arrived as halftime was ending. Well, no scalpers and the ticket office was closed. We tried online, offered cash at the gate and still couldn’t get a ticket.
We were watching on one of the big screens from the outside. We saw an add for AAF app. But somehow they can’t figure out how to find a way to let people pay to get in.
Needless to say then next time my son had the option, skiing will take precedence over a stallions games.

I was willing to pay this game but after how everything went down today I don’t k ow if I’d go, even if the tickets were free.

Archived