Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Yeah it still looks weird with a track, but there's a slight difference between playing in an Olympic stadium versus playing in a high school stadium in a parking lot.

Yeah, but fortunately it's the exact same difference between the top level of football on the globe and a minor league.

Since we're talking ill-advised expansion based on nonsense from a random twitter account, I'd like to be the first to report that Jonesboro, Arkansas is an expansion candidate. The team will play at Centennial Bank Stadium, the home of the Arkansas State Red Wolves, which holds a little under 30K, perfect for an AAF squad. The rivalry with the nearby Memphis Express will be insanely intense. The rumored nickname is Gorillas, in honor of that year Arkansas State used that back in like the 1920s.

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I still think it's too early:

So where would Columbus, Oklahoma City and Portland play?  Ohio Stadium and Oklahoma Memorial are too big for them.  Crew Stadium for Columbus?  Maybe.  What about Portland?  I have read that the Portland Timbers don't want football played at PGE Park and that Portland State was kicked out.  Would they have to go to Corvallis or Eugene?

15 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So where would Columbus, Oklahoma City and Portland play?  Ohio Stadium and Oklahoma Memorial are too big for them.  Crew Stadium for Columbus?  Maybe.  What about Portland?  I have read that the Portland Timbers don't want football played at PGE Park and that Portland State was kicked out.  Would they have to go to Corvallis or Eugene?

What, When, and Why?

As for why, they're a Big Sky school with limited success that nobody cares about.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

18 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

What, When, and Why?

The had only two games at Providence Park last season and the writing was on the wall then.  There is no agreement between Peregrine, the holding company of the Timbers and Thorns, and the University because the Peregrine prefers to keep late fall weekends open for the MLS playoffs.  

23 minutes ago, rams80 said:

As for why, they're a Big Sky school with limited success that nobody cares about.

I thought they were a really strong program until this post made me look up their previous records. Turns out they were good in 2015 when they beat Washington State and beat North Texas by a billion points. Other than that, they've been mostly terrible, topping out around pretty okay. The very next year they went 3-8 and then winless in 2017. So yeah, if you want to trick me personally into thinking you're a good FCS program, just have one good year where I notice your existence and then fade away.

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I still think it's too early:

Too soon. Too soon. TOO SOON!!! smh

Albuquerque is interesting though. To my knowledge that city has never had a team in any of the past alternate leagues (please correct me if I'm wrong). Given the AAF already has planted it's flag in Utah, Arizona and Nevada (championship game) going to New Mexico makes since. Lockdown the Desert Southwest region lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes.  That is a good point.

But these?  @Ice_Cap, you know I love ya, but these are not good points.  😛 

With the obvious asterisk that it's only three weeks so far... their ratings are holding/growing and are on par with what the NHL gets on equivalent networks. NBC gives the NHL $200M per year.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

With the obvious asterisk that it's only three weeks so far... their ratings are holding/growing and are on par with what the NHL gets on equivalent networks. NBC gives the NHL $200M per year.

Which tells us that ratings aren’t everything.  As promising as they may be for the AAF right now. 

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Which tells us that ratings aren’t everything.  As promising as they may be for the AAF right now. 

😁 I don't think there's a silver lining you can't find a cloud for with this league. If people keep watching, the league will get paid for next season. And with paying their (non-unionized?) players thousands instead of millions, even a modest TV contract can probably keep the league afloat.

3 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

If ratings were everything, then CBS would actually pay Nielsen to have CBSSN rated.

Now that is something I don't get, even aside from the AAF story. How do they sell ads for anything without giving advertisers an idea of how many people are watching?

😑 Guaranteed to cause a facepalm or two. I understand the excitement people have for AAF, but this is actually a little cringey.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

9 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

😁 I don't think there's a silver lining you can't find a cloud for with this league. If people keep watching, the league will get paid for next season. And with paying their (non-unionized?) players thousands instead of millions means that even a modest TV contract can probably keep the league afloat.

Say, if the AAF received $20M in TV revenue for next season, that does not cover the $80K salary for league players in an 8-team league.  It's short by approx. $13M, so money at the gate is still vital not only to cover on-field talent but more importantly, the ancillary staff and things like rent and utilities. 

For your CBSSN post: The only thought is that CBS would know internally (somehow).  CBS owns Showtime and they can allegedly report how many folks watched "Homeland" or a fight.

Heck, their sister company, Viacom could be able to "peek" at CBSSN's numbers then pass them along to CBS execs, but I don't know how Nielsen would let that fly even with the amount of money Viacom pays them to be rated. 

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

😑 Guaranteed to cause a facepalm or two. I understand the excitement people have for AAF, but this is actually a little cringey.

Honolulu would be worse than London.

Also, Las Vegas doesn't need a team in a non-NFL league.  Why would they when they are at the big kids table now?

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Honolulu would be worse than London.

Also, Las Vegas doesn't need a team in a non-NFL league.  Why would they when they are at the big kids table now?

Aloha Stadium needs the revenue and $30M in repairs by 2022, so even unofficial videos know the situation.  

Archived