Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The only thing that will kill off the NCAA is an awareness that the sport shouldn’t be played by human beings and the resulting lack of insurers willing to cover them.

Which, if it happens, will kill off the AAF first.  And the NFL after both. 

Wouldn't killing off NCAA put an end to March Madness?  That would suck since I enjoy watching March Madness as it's the only time I watch college basketball.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The only thing that will kill off the NCAA is an awareness that the sport shouldn’t be played by human beings and the resulting lack of insurers willing to cover them.

Which, if it happens, will kill off the AAF first.  And the NFL after both.

I think college football is immoral and indefensible and should be eliminated entirely.  But I’m not optimistic that my view will be a consensus view anytime soon.

The impending ruling in Alston v. NCAA from U.S. District Court Chief Judge Claudia Wilken may change the NCAA model.  Her ruling can come any day now.  But that's another time for another thread.

Meanwhile, Memphis announced 13,621.

28 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Looks like we got some new jerseys with Orlando. Got an Amsterdam Admirals look to them.

Too bad they didn't plan ahead and use the same numbers as their regular jerseys.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

That the AAF/NFL relationship seems more amicable than any other past attempts at an alternative league seems seems to suggest this isn’t that out there. 

Or they could be a convenient way to choke off the XFL/any other minor league.  I mean, the af2 was ostensibly a feeder/development league for the old Arena League, but in reality its purpose was to kill off rival indoor leagues by grabbing their stronger markets by whatever means necessary and then running them into the ground.  Who's to say that model won't be replicated.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also remember that Goodell has wanted the NFL to have $25B in revenue by 2027.

Adding a developmental league in the Spring erodes revenue since the gate really suck and the medical coverage is impactful in addition to the general liability.

That seems like pretty clear proof of the effect weather has on attendance, as much as you want to poo-poo people blaming some of the poor attendance on the weather.  Birmingham had pretty consistent crowds through their first two games.

That's not to say they don't need to figure out how to get people to come despite the weather, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

19 minutes ago, See Red said:

That seems like pretty clear proof of the effect weather has on attendance, as much as you want to poo-poo people blaming some of the poor attendance on the weather.  Birmingham had pretty consistent crowds through their first two games.

That's not to say they don't need to figure out how to get people to come despite the weather, though.

The weather was an issue in most of the Deep South this weekend, including a tornado which resulted in 14 deaths in Alabama.  However, it appears that the Iron staff is so young and inexperienced in the area, that they are virtually non-existant. Granted, the toughest jobs in sport are those in entry level sales, but what they are doing in terms of numbers is putrid.

Archived