Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

I'm just wondering how many fans will show up for a neutral site championship game. Sam Boyd seats what 30,000. I'll be nice and say they'll get 8,000 if they're extremely lucky or in all probability that it will be the final game before the league folds, they'll just give away a bunch of tickets.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Wings said:

I'm just wondering how many fans will show up for a neutral site championship game. Sam Boyd seats what 30,000. I'll be nice and say they'll get 8,000 if they're extremely lucky or in all probability that it will be the final game before the league folds, they'll just give away a bunch of tickets.

Depends if they tarp off any seats. I believe XFL set the capacity to 27,000. Key is only selling seats on the TV side like XFL did in Los Angeles for their Million Dollar Game. 

15 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

People compare the AAF to the USFL a lot, but I think it’s worth noting that the USFL wasn’t trying to be minor league and had actual, legit football stars on their rosters. The AAF doesn’t have a lunatic owner that’s just going to through a dump truck of cash at the modern day equivalents of a Steve Young and Jim Kelly. 

As someone old enough to remember the USFL (I was 15 in March 1983), I can confirm the vast difference between the two leagues.

While the USFL wasn't competing with the NFL via a fall schedule, there was still competition for talent.  Being able to sign players like Herschel Walker, Kelvin Bryant, Trumaine Johnson and Anthony Carter for Year One created a buzz for the USFL that the AAF can't replicate under its current business model.  Herschel Walker was on the cover of Sports Illustrated before the season started, with an inside story featuring a picture of all twelve helmets.*  I'm fairly certain that will never happen with the AAF.

spacer.pngspacer.png

* -- In the pre-internet days, that was the first time I (and probably many others) saw any hint of helmets and uniforms.  It was a very exciting time for us uniform geeks.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

16 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Depends if they tarp off any seats. I believe XFL set the capacity to 27,000. Key is only selling seats on the TV side like XFL did in Los Angeles for their Million Dollar Game. 

I also think that number depends on who's in the game. If San Antonio makes it I'd expect at least 8,000 Commanders fans. Cheap flights in and out and possibly hotel deals as well could help bring fans in from non-AAF cities. I'm sure MGM will push this game hard as well since they made playing in Las Vegas part of their sponsorship. Round trip tickets start at $236 depending on when you fly in. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

AAF ratings declined somewhat this week but are still relatively strong.

The main takeaway is that TNT decided to broadcast more AAF games (or Dundon's money went into their pockets too) because while the teams are struggling to get fans into the stadium, they do seem to be finding a decent audience for TV. You know, considering that the braintrust in charge thinks word-of-mouth is the best way to get people to watch their brand of football instead of airing ads. If the AAF can consistently get 400,000-500,000 people watching games on NFL Network and 750,000-1,000,000 on TNT on a consistent basis, it can't hurt the viability of the league. 

Bill Polian during a conference call this afternoon basically goes against his own media guide.

Expansion, I don't think, is on the front-burner," he said on a conference call. "We still have lots of work we need to do to solidify ourselves in the local markets. I don't think expansion is a high priority at this time. We haven't even given a thought to relocation.

Expanding next year would be a huge mistake, because the XFL is going to be going after a lot of the same players the AAF would be targeting for these expansion teams. The quality of play would really suffer adding so many teams at once between the two leagues. The AAF should wait until the XFL folds, and then look at expansion.

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Hmm.... that's pretty much the opposite of what I've been hearing. 

He added:

"We haven't even really given a thought to relocation, because we really don't have a firm handle because of the untoward weather that's affected the Southeast. We don't really have a handle on what many of the markets are really like when you got a nice day and temperatures are in the 50s or 60s. So that's an incomplete picture at this point in time."

Now, the bigger question is why is Polian talking when Dundon has told Andrew Brandt among others that he's the decision maker now?

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

He added:

Now, the bigger question is why is Polian talking when Dundon has told Andrew Brandt among others that he's the decision maker now?

Obviously it's because they're only minutes from going out of business! 🙄

It's not that unusual for the person at the top to always be the one talking to the media?

Yeah, but this presser, given its dramatic divergence from the party line, sounds an awful lot like the media availabilities of a certain nameless former New York Mayor who allegedly is being a defense attorney.

I'll also quietly note that those media availabilities tend to lead to revelations that are soon confirmed elsewhere...(whistles)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Obviously it's because they're only minutes from going out of business! 🙄

It's not that unusual for the person at the top to always be the one talking to the media?

Polian is near the top, not AT the top.  The Top is Dundon and whether he's talking to Rich Eisen last week at the Combine (below), or last week with Andrew Brandt, Dundon makes it pretty clear that he's the one who makes the decisions now.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Polian is near the top, not AT the top.  The Top is Dundon and whether he's talking to Rich Eisen last week at the Combine (below), or last week with Andrew Brandt, Dundon makes it pretty clear that he's the one who makes the decisions now.

I goofed my sentence. I meant I don't think it's that unusual for the person talking to the media to NOT be the absolute top dog. Especially when the new boss just got there. I don't doubt this is Dundon speaking through Polian, but I don't understand your insinuation that Polian being the one on this conference call is troublesome.

19 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I goofed my sentence. I meant I don't think it's that unusual for the person talking to the media to NOT be the absolute top dog. Especially when the new boss just got there. I don't doubt this is Dundon speaking through Polian, but I don't understand your insinuation that Polian being the one on this conference call is troublesome.

It's apparent that he's pretty ill-equipped to talk about anything but what is on the field of play.  Then again, since he wasn't that great at evaluating talent after drafting Bob Sanders, referred to a 6'3" Lamar Jackson as "too short to play QB", and has doubled down that he had Tom Brady high on his draft board and draft grade.

50 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I don't think it's that Polian is speaking publcly, but rather that what he's saying goes against the company line.  Either he's the only one at the league being honest, or he's making stuff up.  Neither is exactly encouraging.

Your Saturday Birmingham forecast.

SEVERE STORMS POSSIBLE THIS WEEKEND: A vigorous storm system will impact the southern U.S. over the weekend. Here in Alabama, Saturday will be mild and breezy with a morning shower possible, but the main threat of strong to severe storms will come later in the day and into Saturday night. The prime window for strong to severe storms will come from around 12:00 noon Saturday through 3:00 a.m. Sunday. SPC has the standard “slight risk” (level 2/5) of severe storms defined for areas north and west of a line from Jackson to Greenville to Lake Martin to Heflin a “marginal risk” (level 1/5) is in effect for the rest of the state, with the exception of the southeast corner around Dothan where no severe storms are expected.

THREATS: Storms Saturday afternoon and Saturday night will be capable of producing large hail and damaging winds. A few tornadoes are also possible, especially along and north of I-59, over North and West Alabama.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

We are nearing the end of the current CBA too.  DeMaurice Smith and Eric Winston are not going to just give the OK to this "because film".

Only way this would fly anyway is if the NFL acquired the AAF as a minor league. And I'm not sure what kind of concession the owners would have to make in order for the players to accept that. 

And knowing the owners, concession isn't in their vocabulary unless you're talking about food and drink sold.

Archived