Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Here's a question. And be honest. What attendance number would you need to see to consider it acceptable? And not constantly rag on it? 

Why worry about little ol' me when Charlie Ebersol's hand-picked executive teams expected crowds averaging 20K+?

They, not me, are the ones not living up to expectations (or financials).  Memphis had an initial goal of 20-30K/game, so I assume all markets did the same, as AAF is a single entity.  AAF thought that word of mouth of saying, "football" would have folks at the box office, rather not at the box office since they went digital.  Birmingham has had four of their five regular season games and hasn't hit 20K.  

Tip: Don't start selling tickets with new local staff around when folks are beginning to put Xmas gifts on layaway. especially in the Deep South. 

That was a hell of an ending to the Stallions-Fleet game. Can't beat a game-winning field goal as time expires. Especially after the other team gets a TD and the 2 point conversion with less than a minute left. One massive pass later, victory is in sight. More games like this can help the viability of the league.

Apparently "over 20,000 fans" per NFL Network. No official stat yet.

18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Good on the Fleet. Glad to see football fans in SD getting excited about something again.

SD Fleet Fans: "Hey Dean Spanos! We got 2 words for you! Suck it!"

(And SD Fleet Fans do the Degeneration X crotch chop towards Dean Spanos)

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

SD Fleet Fans: "Hey Alex Spanos! We got 2 words for you! Suck it!"

(And SD Fleet Fans do the Degeneration X crotch chop towards Alex Spanos)

Slight correction. It's Dean. Alex never did anything to warrant wrath. All the dumb :censored: started when he handed the team over to Dean.

34 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

That was a hell of an ending to the Stallions-Fleet game. Can't beat a game-winning field goal as time expires. Especially after the other team gets a TD and the 2 point conversion with less than a minute left. One massive pass later, victory is in sight. More games like this can help the viability of the league.

Apparently "over 20,000 fans" per NFL Network. No official stat yet.

Fireworks night, but was that number sold or distributed?

They really didn't have a ticket special this week since they knew they had to pay for the fireworks show.  

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Fireworks night.

They should really go full MiLB and have a Star Wars Night followed by a one-game stint as the California Burritos.

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Why worry about little ol' me when Charlie Ebersol's hand-picked executive teams expected crowds averaging 20K+?

They, not me, are the ones not living up to expectations (or financials).  Memphis had an initial goal of 20-30K/game, so I assume all markets did the same, as AAF is a single entity.  AAF thought that word of mouth of saying, "football" would have folks at the box office, rather not at the box office since they went digital.  Birmingham has had four of their five regular season games and hasn't hit 20K.  

Tip: Don't start selling tickets with new local staff around when folks are beginning to put Xmas gifts on layaway. especially in the Deep South. 

Charlie Ebersol and the handpicked executives aren't on here. But you are posting odd memes about attendances. 

The thing is, we have no idea where their true expectations are. How much they're actually making, and how much they were expecting to lose in year one. It's clear they didn't market enough. But marketing is expensive and I think put all their money into advertising during the weeks leading up on CBS and not plastering the cities where the teams were actually playing. It's made TV viewership decent, but in house crowds bad. 

Funny they stuck to the south mostly to avoid bad weather yet it's the south that are much bigger fair weather fans because cold weather (40s even 50s) aren't outdoor weather to someone in Memphis or Birmingham. Yet that's considered warm in Ohio for March and February. Hell, it was a high of 40 today in Ohio and I called that a warm day.

But the thing is expecting 25-30k is most likely not their breakeven number. It would be pretty sad if they were only expecting a breakeven number. 

The other is the tickets vary in price depending whether they're sideline or endzone. Would suck if they sold 15,000 seats in the endzone at $20 each when sideline tickets were being listed for quadruple that. What difference does butts in seat mean? If they paper the crowd with 20,000 ticket buyers who got in for $5, would that be successful? Or 10,000 averaging $30?

My main issue is you seem to take joy in any negative news. Even if it's just you who views it as a negative. 

3 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

They should really go full MiLB and have a Star Wars Night followed by a one-game stint as the California Burritos.

Arizona will have a "Pride Night" tomorrow.

However, when announced via Twitter, the replies were not appreciative.

5 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Charlie Ebersol and the handpicked executives aren't on here. But you are posting odd memes about attendances. 

The thing is, we have no idea where their true expectations are. How much they're actually making, and how much they were expecting to lose in year one. It's clear they didn't market enough. But marketing is expensive and I think put all their money into advertising during the weeks leading up on CBS and not plastering the cities where the teams were actually playing. It's made TV viewership decent, but in house crowds bad. 

Funny they stuck to the south mostly to avoid bad weather yet it's the south that are much bigger fair weather fans because cold weather (40s even 50s) aren't outdoor weather to someone in Memphis or Birmingham. Yet that's considered warm in Ohio for March and February. Hell, it was a high of 40 today in Ohio and I called that a warm day.

But the thing is expecting 25-30k is most likely not their breakeven number. It would be pretty said if they were only expecting a breakeven number. 

The other is the tickets vary in price depending whether they're sideline or endzone. Would suck if they sold 15,000 seats in the endzone at $20 each when sideline tickets were being listed for quadruple that. What difference doesn't butts in seat mean? If they paper the crowd with 20,000 ticket buyers who got in for $5, would that be successful? Or 10,000 averaging $30?

My main issue is you seem to take joy in any negative news. Even if it's just you who views it as a negative. 

When you have little to NO TV revenue, where else do you receive income to last?  Selling merchandise gives you just 10% of a $25 tee. Using the Dundon millions is just draining the sink hour by hour.

"The thing is...", we know they lacked cash before Dundon, and "word of mouth" was key for Ebersol.

Why are they failing to sell tickets?  This was game 4 of 5 for Birmimgham.

Well it seems the board’s resident Debbie Downer has found his new temporary fixation.  I don’t think the AAF is the greatest thing ever, but I do appreciate someone taking a risk to establish a developmental league for people that enjoy football.  I’ve enjoyed the games, and I don’t think I’m alone.  

newsig.jpg

Your arguments might be stronger if you actually addressed the substance of his posts, rather than criticizing him personally. 

I don’t think anyone’s disputing that San Diego is itself a good market for pro sports.  The best decision the AAF made was to fill that void. 

Archived