mr.nascar13

Introducing the Alliance of American Football

Recommended Posts

Memphis wearing their white jerseys today vs Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Memphis wearing their white jerseys today vs Atlanta.

Confirmed?

 

EDIT: Nevermind just came across the Tweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

At least the games are good... that has helped the AAF at least be better then the original XFL.

The rules help. Remember the XFL got rid of a lot of defensive restrictions to be more "real football" and instead made what little practice teams have debilitated their offenses. 

 

AAF went the opposite way and restricted defensive blitzing and kept passing rules the same to help stabilize and benefit the offenses. And it's worked. The passing game is much more open. And honestly, getting rid of the kickoff has worked quite well. Though I wish the onside could be tried at any time by either team. No trailing or point differential needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

The rules help. Remember the XFL got rid of a lot of defensive restrictions to be more "real football" and instead made what little practice teams have debilitated their offenses. 

 

AAF went the opposite way and restricted defensive blitzing and kept passing rules the same to help stabilize and benefit the offenses. And it's worked. The passing game is much more open. And honestly, getting rid of the kickoff has worked quite well. Though I wish the onside could be tried at any time by either team. No trailing or point differential needed. 

I'd make it s 4th and 20 instead of 4th and 12 and put it on the 15 unless it falls under current rules, then keep that as is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

No. Those were NFL-owned properties and not subject to the same issue.

Ah, right.  

 

What if the NFL was to put out a bid to both leagues for feeder status? That would mean there would be fair competition based on each entity's RFI response and negotiations. My guess is that the AAF wants to be a feeder league. The XFL is following the USFL's blueprint and will compete for college players and present NFL talent. If that is the XFL's stated goal, I don't see how this can be an anti-trust violation. Further, I don't think the AAF's broadcast deals prevent the same networks from carrying the XFL. The question is, if the XFL approaches the NFL and asks the league to put XFL games on NFL Network, and the NFL refuses, then that could be an anti-trust violation. Say the NFL RFI contains a question regarding broadcasting, that the winner of the bid would have there games broadcast on NFL N. Would that be an anti-trust violation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Ah, right.  

 

What if the NFL was to put out a bid to both leagues for feeder status? That would mean there would be fair competition based on each entity's RFI response and negotiations. My guess is that the AAF wants to be a feeder league. The XFL is following the USFL's blueprint and will compete for college players and present NFL talent. If that is the XFL's stated goal, I don't see how this can be an anti-trust violation. Further, I don't think the AAF's broadcast deals prevent the same networks from carrying the XFL. The question is, if the XFL approaches the NFL and asks the league to put XFL games on NFL Network, and the NFL refuses, then that could be an anti-trust violation. Say the NFL RFI contains a question regarding broadcasting, that the winner of the bid would have there games broadcast on NFL N. Would that be an anti-trust violation?

I'm not sure on the answer of whether or not it would be an anti-trust violation. I don't think it would be.

 

To the bolded point - I'm not sure that it would be financially smart for either league to 'bid' on such a status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like that there is life after The Braves for Georgia State Stadium (formerly Turner Field) where the Legends currently play.  Also a smart move for Georgia State by choosing to play in their own stadium rather than becoming a secondary tenant at Mercedes Benz Stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Arizona will have a "Pride Night" tomorrow.

However, when announced via Twitter, the replies were not appreciative.

 

 

Worth noting that while Pride Month is generally June, all Pride events in AZ take place in March because...nobody wants to do anything outside in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Raymie said:

 

Worth noting that while Pride Month is generally June, all Pride events in AZ take place in March because...nobody wants to do anything outside in June.

And since when is a pro sports team hosting a Pride night a bad thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

And since when is a pro sports team hosting a Pride night a bad thing?

It isn't, but I can only imagine the reaction the type of person opposed to that has when he hears chants of "Hotshots suck!" on Pride Night. 

 

And there's a sign behind one of the end zones that says "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here". Indeed.

Edited by Red Comet
New info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

At least the games are good... that has helped the AAF at least be better then the original XFL.

 

The XFL games got good by mid-season.  Unfortunately, most people had stopped paying attention by then.

And then the championship game was lousy.  So that further distorts people's memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'm not sure on the answer of whether or not it would be an anti-trust violation. I don't think it would be.

 

To the bolded point - I'm not sure that it would be financially smart for either league to 'bid' on such a status.

t seems to me that the AAF is content where they are. The XFL is targeting larger markets. I don't see how NFL allocation helps them. I would guess instead of a bidding process, the NFL, as a business, could say that they prefer the AAF because the AAF model is more in line with what the NFL wants. In that scenario, I don't think you could say antitrust. Also, I could see the XFL on Fox and of course on the WWE channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So halfway thru the inaugural season of AAF football, it's time for a mid-season grade. Three of the cities seem to of embraced the product. In no particular order, San Antonio, Orlando, and San Diego seem to be good choices for AAF franchises. Out of the remaining 5 cities while Birmingham and Memphis look good on paper it seems that these cities have had their share of minor league football teams and both support college football more than they'll ever support a pro team. Atlanta would be a good candidate for relocation in Raleigh NC. As for Arizona, the state has trouble supporting 4 different teams and with the cactus league having started that has worked against them. Salt Lake City has not had good weather and also a slow start which has also hurt them. They would be a good candidate to move to Oakland if things don't work out in Salt Lake City. As for attendance, it looks like the realistic goals are between 10,000 and 30,000. The 3 franchises I mentioned as good choices are capable of 20,000 to 30,000 per game; The other 5 will struggle to reach 20k per game. The bright spot of the league seems to be the TV ratings. Whether that can save the AAF remains to be seen. People only have so much discretionary income to spend and high ticket; high concession prices do not help in an economy which is sputtering and in a sports market where there is so much competition. I'm wondering what ownership thought was attainable attendance and now halfway thru the season what realistic attendance goals were/are. As for a midseason grade: My heart says B- but my gut says C-plus. I hope the AAF survives and does not fold after 1 year. But ownership might need more investors to survive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

t seems to me that the AAF is content where they are. The XFL is targeting larger markets. I don't see how NFL allocation helps them. I would guess instead of a bidding process, the NFL, as a business, could say that they prefer the AAF because the AAF model is more in line with what the NFL wants. In that scenario, I don't think you could say antitrust. Also, I could see the XFL on Fox and of course on the WWE channel.

Nope - that would be antitrust. Unless saying that you 'prefer' AAF over XFL doesn't disallow a player from signing with the XFL, it's antitrust. Even if you say that, and you say it can be done, but no one does it, it would be antitrust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oakland already turned down the XFL. I can't see the AAF going there. If the AAF survives, Sacramento might be a better NorCal option for relocation or future expansion. Hornet Stadium seats a tidy 21,000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wings said:

Oakland already turned down the XFL. I can't see the AAF going there. If the AAF survives, Sacramento might be a better NorCal option for relocation or future expansion. Hornet Stadium seats a tidy 21,000. 

 

Would they go to San Jose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GDAWG said:

 

Would they go to San Jose?

 

That could be an option with Spartan Stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wings said:

 

That could be an option with Spartan Stadium. 

 

Likely the only option. Avaya Stadium is likely a no and they can forget about Levi's even though Santa Clara is closer to San Jose than San Francisco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

 

Would they go to San Jose?

 

San Jose, Stanford Stadium, Levi Stadium, Berkley (even though some people says it's not an option, I see otherwise), there are plenty of stadiums they can use. There are options and a team in the Bay Area really makes sense if they want a new team in the west, with good weather, and a population that could sustain them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

 

San Jose, Stanford Stadium, Levi Stadium, Berkley (even though some people says it's not an option, I see otherwise), there are plenty of stadiums they can use. There are options and a team in the Bay Area really makes sense if they want a new team in the west, with good weather, and a population that could sustain them.

 

I would think that the AAF would go smaller than Levi's Stadium which holds 68,500.  I have read that Berkley isn't an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.