Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Columbus could possibly work if they used Mapfre Stadium after the Crew move into their new stadium. The seating might drop a bit though since it is intended to be part of a training complex. The big issue again is weather which in February is ridiculously unpredictable in Ohio. If the league keeps playing games in February they need to stay to the south.

Don't they host High school football games these days?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Don't they host High school football games these days?

They did a few years back, not sure if they still do. They used to host the Ohio All Star football games but those moved up to Massillon. They may host playoff games  occasionally, but since the snake let the stadium fall apart last year that didn't happen. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They did a few years back, not sure if they still do. They used to host the Ohio All Star football games but those moved up to Massillon. They may host playoff games  occasionally, but since the snake let the stadium fall apart last year that didn't happen. 

In that case, the playoff games were probably moved to Canton, Akron, Cleveland and Cincy. 

Just now, GDAWG said:

In that case, the playoff games were probably moved to Canton, Akron, Cleveland and Cincy. 

The state championship games were moved to Hall of Fame stadium. Mapfre would have only hosted regional level and below. When the state title games are in Columbus they play at Ohio Stadium. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

CBS is picking up a couple more games. (Archive here)

The first game would be a noon game on April 6th (I'm assuming that would be the Express at Commanders game) to lead into the first Final Four matchup and the April 21st semifinal match. So, that has all of the AAF postseason being on basic cable at least what with the game on April 20th (heh) being on TNT. 

NGL, I like the idea of the AAF being a sort of "Opening Act" for bigger events.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

CBS is picking up a couple more games.

The first game would be a noon game on April 6th (I'm assuming that would be the Express at Commanders game) to lead into the first Final Four matchup and the April 21st semifinal match. So, that has all of the AAF postseason being on basic cable at least what with the game on April 20th (heh) being on TNT. 

NGL, I like the idea of the AAF being a sort of "Opening Act" for bigger events.

Whichever game they choose, the game needs to end at or around 3 PM. 

This is the lead-in, to the lead-in to the Pre-Game Show

CBS's NCAA coverage on Final Four Saturday starts with "At the Final Four presented by Infiniti" from 3:00-4:00 PM, ET, followed by "The Final Four Show" from 4:00-6:00 PM, ET.

3 PM is also the start time for CBS's golf coverage for the RBC Classic on April 20.

On 3/14/2019 at 9:57 AM, dfwabel said:

Whichever game they choose, the game needs to end at or around 3 PM.

CBS's NCAA coverage on Final Four Saturday starts with "At the Final Four presented by Infiniti" from 3:00-4:00 PM, ET, followed by "The Final Four Show" from 4:00-6:00 PM, ET.

3 PM is also the start time for CBS's golf coverage for the RBC Classic on April 20.

There is a Fleet at Apollos game on the 6th as well. Knowing what you had just said, I would think that is the game they flex to Noon EST. Said game should finish before 3 PM EST. The RBC Classic also goes into the 21st and if coverage of the final day starts at the same time on CBS as it did the previous day (I don't watch golf so please correct me if I'm wrong), then CBS is probably assuming the Apollos will host the East semifinal and can fit in at Noon EST. 

EDIT: Disregard that, they are going to think people will go to a football game at 11 AM on a Saturday in San Antonio. Works for college football so all you need is 100+ years of tradition to convince fans to come at that time.

Here's the thing with the AAF and MLS stadia. Money talks. If Red Bull Arena pulls 5 extra dates, I don't see what the problem is. Red Bull is always searching for new revenue streams. In Columbus, the City of Columbus had a huge hand in saving the Crew. They are building a new downtown stadium, right? If the AAF came to the city council with a proposal, I don't see how the Crew would have a real say. As for the major cities – Cincinnati, Minnesota, etc., the answer would be no. And those cities wouldn't support a team anyway. And, it is too cold. If Sacramento would finally get the Railyards project moving, the Sacramento Republic FC and a football team could play there. Sacramento has been burned 3 times – the Surge, the Goldminers and the Mountain Lions. Louisville is uncharted territory and U of L would have to give permission to use the stadium. Louisville would set up some intense southern rivalries with Birmingham and Memphis. But where else can you play? There are only so many cities, and only so many cities that want/will support football. 

7 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Here's the thing with the AAF and MLS stadia. Money talks. If Red Bull Arena pulls 5 extra dates, I don't see what the problem is. Red Bull is always searching for new revenue streams. In Columbus, the City of Columbus had a huge hand in saving the Crew. They are building a new downtown stadium, right? If the AAF came to the city council with a proposal, I don't see how the Crew would have a real say. As for the major cities – Cincinnati, Minnesota, etc., the answer would be no. And those cities wouldn't support a team anyway. And, it is too cold. If Sacramento would finally get the Railyards project moving, the Sacramento Republic FC and a football team could play there. Sacramento has been burned 3 times – the Surge, the Goldminers and the Mountain Lions. Louisville is uncharted territory and U of L would have to give permission to use the stadium. Louisville would set up some intense southern rivalries with Birmingham and Memphis. But where else can you play? There are only so many cities, and only so many cities that want/will support football. 

Most of the MLS teams are the main tenants in their own stadiums so I would think they get right of first refusal on who plays there and if they say no football, then there will be no football. 

46 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Knowing the consequences of hosting gridiron football on your turf, if you can get two to four International Friendlies, plus a USMNT or WNT match at a higher price per seat per year than five to six AAF/spare football games per year, which one would you choose?  I think the choice is pretty damn easy, and it isn't AAF/spare football.  I'd even take some Premier Lacrosse event dates too. 

As for Columbus, if the city and/or county are negotiating directly with the Crew, then hell yes, the Crew would have real say as they'd be the party on the contract.  

43 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Columbus is further north than Salt Lake. No way that football starting in February is going to fly there unless maybe, maybe, the starting lineup becomes "The Home For Wayward Buckeyes" and only former Buckeyes. And hell, that'll probably fail too.

8 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Columbus is further north than Salt Lake. No way that football starting in February is going to fly there unless maybe, maybe, the starting lineup becomes "The Home For Wayward Buckeyes" and only former Buckeyes. And hell, that'll probably fail too.

I'd think the weather factor would play a bigger role in a spring league's early years, but would eventually become less of a factor as the league established itself. If, after two years, the AAF has built itself into a quality league known for a quality product, then I don't see why a Columbus or Fargo or Hartford or Omaha shouldn't be in the mix.  

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'd think the weather factor would play a bigger role in a spring league's early years, but would eventually become less of a factor as the league established itself. If, after two years, the AAF has built itself into a quality league known for a quality product, then I don't see why a Columbus or Fargo or Hartford or Omaha shouldn't be in the mix.  

I'm going to sound nuts for saying this, but Fargo actually makes more sense than a lot of other aforementioned expansion/relocation candidates so far. Two reasons: The Fargodome and the only competition for winter sports dollars is the Fargo Force (a USHL team) and North Dakota State basketball/hockey in a state that is rapidly growing in population and wealth. 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I'm going to sound nuts for saying this, but Fargo actually makes more sense than a lot of other aforementioned expansion/relocation candidates so far. Two reasons: The Fargodome and the only competition for winter sports dollars is the Fargo Force (a USHL team) and North Dakota State basketball/ and University of North Dakota hockey in a state that is rapidly growing in population and wealth. 

Corrected that for you. :) 

Otherwise, you make a great point. 

All this speculation is well and good, but if we want the league to stick around, shouldn't we be bringing this forward to them? Or does our friend here on the board take our comments to the powers that be? Either way, fans drive the vehicle. If people tune in and see a sea of empty seats, will they watch again? Fans ultimately make the product better by voting with their dollars and eyeballs. 

If I was the league, I would play up the Birmingham-Memphis "rivalry." They have played each other in the WFL, CFL, USFL, XFL and now the AAF. UAB and Memphis State have only played 15 times though.

Also, why not have a research firm do a survey over Swagbucks? I am sure they will have plenty of survey takers.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Knowing the consequences of hosting gridiron football on your turf, if you can get two to four International Friendlies, plus a USMNT or WNT match at a higher price per seat per year than five to six AAF/spare football games per year, which one would you choose?  I think the choice is pretty damn easy, and it isn't AAF/spare football.  I'd even take some Premier Lacrosse event dates too. 

As for Columbus, if the city and/or county are negotiating directly with the Crew, then hell yes, the Crew would have real say as they'd be the party on the contract.  

I think the City of Sacramento will ultimately decide if an AAF team will play there. The Railyards project is driven by the city, in an attempt to help the Republic get an MLS franchise and attract events to the city.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

North Dakota could be an interesting option.

North Dakota is flush with money and nowhere to spend it. Been up there twice thus year. Most of the oil money is in the western half of the state, but it bleeds out everywhere. Parts, labor, services, etc are still based where the people and cities already are. Though Dickinson, Williston, Watford City are growing, immensely, Fargo isn't missing out. And they'd have the state to themselves for pro sports. Just have to accept that you're going to a smallish stadium and growth isn't possible beyond stadium size and a smaller more spread out market size would allow. 

1 hour ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I think the City of Sacramento Ron Burkle  will ultimately decide if an AAF team will play there. 

FTFY.

With his purchase of a majority interest in the Republic, Burkle also is the owner of The Railyards stadium site.  The stadium is to be built with private funding the city only providing infrastructure improvements in the area.  If it comes to whether an AAF team would play in The Railyards that decision would be Burkle's, not the city's.

Archived