Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

6 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I'm curious on how much advertising CBS will do for this game in the lead up to the Super Bowl and during. CBS would vertically want to advertise the game since they are carrying it, but at what point will they start and to what degree? Are we going to see commercials during CBS NFL games, particularly the playoffs? Will the AAF buy Super Bowl add time? Right now, other than a billboard in Orlando, the AAF marketing is 100% online. CBS and AAF will need to start broadcasting on TV to really get people's attention.

Two games on terrestrial CBS at the front and back ends means CBS isn't really invested in this and it's likely bartered. In March, CBS Sports* President Sean McManus noted how "well funded" the league is... that's a tell tale sign the AAF is buying airtime.

AAF isn't paying $5 million for 30 seconds, and CBS is unlikely to be giving away one.  Live reads by James Brown during pregame and one or two by Jim Nantz during the game is all they'll likely get.

CBSSN doesn't subscribe to Nielsen, so events there don't get measured.

*-With Les Moonves out, the future of sports at CBS has yet to be determined.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Gonna be interesting to see how some of these rules play out. I'm all up for less kicking. Still haven't understood why in pro football kicking is still around. Spend the whole game going up and down the field, and rely on a guy who sits on the sideline most of the game.

That’s the specialization of football.  The thing I like least about it. 

11 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

Any recent news on the players front?  I’d like to know if they signed any of the guys who didn’t make nfl rosters last month. Also, is there any chance any of the CFL guys wonder over to one of these leagues?

San Antonio released a listbof 10 players allocated to them but no full rosters yet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 9/29/2018 at 5:21 PM, Gothamite said:

That’s the specialization of football.  The thing I like least about it. 

The best thing about the Arena Football League was when it had two-way players.  It was cool to see wide receivers trying to beat defensive backs, and then those same guys playing as defensive backs guarding the players who had been guarding them. 

Also, the same lineman would play both offence and defence.  This spawned a joke that surely had a kernel of truth.  It was said that, in training camps, there was one way to tell those who had come up as offensive linemen from those who had come up as defensive linemen: have them all stand in a line, and then walk past them, slapping each one of them on the helmet.  The ones who don't flinch are offensive linemen.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

San Antonio released a listbof 10 players allocated to them but no full rosters yet.

I saw that they listed out their first 200 players signed a while ago but i was hoping for more movement by now 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

On 9/30/2018 at 10:12 AM, BengalErnst said:

Any recent news on the players front?  I’d like to know if they signed any of the guys who didn’t make nfl rosters last month. Also, is there any chance any of the CFL guys wonder over to one of these leagues?

Each team page at the AAF official site has the roster of contracted players.  

CFL guys have other sets of issues.

1-For international rookies (think U.S. born players), CFL contracts are one year, plus an option year.

2-Native Canadian rookie contracts are three year deals.

3-The #1 overall pick in this year's CFL Draft signed with SLC of the AAF after being by the Broncos in September.  He'll make more money playing less games. Many in a situation like his aren't going to Canada. The Athletic had a story on this last week talking to CFL scouts and executives.

4-The CFL CBA expires before the start of training camp for the 2019 season.   

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

I honestly wouldn't sweat this too much.  The relationship between the CFL and CFLPA isn't all that adversarial, and usually when steps are taken it's to the benefit of the players.  For example, last year Randy Ambrosie (ex-player, now commissioner) called the head of the CFLPA out of the blue and said, "What do you think about spreading out the 18 game regular season over 21 weeks?"

Within a week, the CBA was amended and they held a joint announcement about it.

The CFL is going to feel some impacts from AAF/XFL.  No doubt about it.  But those impacts aren't likely to be that Earth-shattering.  The quality of the import (i.e., U.S.) players they attract will drop somewhat, but that'll likely be about it.

nav-logo.png

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Salt Lake has a secondary letter logo, as well.

I am a little disappointed in most of the 2ndary logos, being basic letter logos.  Intrigued by the Hotshots.  Their 2ndary logo is the best of the letter logos, but the use of an orange hat might be a hint at the helmet color, or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Every assistant on San Antonio apparently coached somewhere in Texas. Jim Grobe is on the staff.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

At first glance, those prices for only 5 home dates seem high, but in truth they're dirt cheap if you take into account the ancillaries (e.g., parking, food and beverage).  They're doing it with broadcast optics in mind - because those tickets should sell, offering the ability to do nice crowd shots along the sidelines in the lower bowl.

What I'm wondering is if this is going to be indicative of the lease deals AAF has made, or an oddity.  If it's indicative, it's a really interesting way to go about it.  Not a financially profitable one, but interesting all the same.

nav-logo.png

31 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

At first glance, those prices for only 5 home dates seem high, but in truth they're dirt cheap if you take into account the ancillaries (e.g., parking, food and beverage).  They're doing it with broadcast optics in mind - because those tickets should sell, offering the ability to do nice crowd shots along the sidelines in the lower bowl.

What I'm wondering is if this is going to be indicative of the lease deals AAF has made, or an oddity.  If it's indicative, it's a really interesting way to go about it.  Not a financially profitable one, but interesting all the same.

Well to their gain, the Grizzlies and Tigers only have three Saturday home games during their season:

2/9: Grizzlies/Pelicans

3/9: Tigers/Tulsa

3/23: Grizzlies/Twolves

The American men's BB tournament is in Memphis from March 14-17.

It's still a $125-170 "cover charge" to drink all you want for three quarters.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

It's still a $125-170 "cover charge" to drink all you want for three quarters.

Well, that's presuming alcohol's covered in the package, but yeah, that's not a bad deal for fans at all.  The all-inclusive package intrigues me from a business perspective, which is why I wonder if it's an M.O. or a one-off.  

nav-logo.png

On 10/13/2018 at 9:43 PM, Mac the Knife said:

Well, that's presuming alcohol's covered in the package, but yeah, that's not a bad deal for fans at all.  The all-inclusive package intrigues me from a business perspective, which is why I wonder if it's an M.O. or a one-off.  

Aren't these similar prices to Arena League though? At least per game costs? For San Antonio, event parking for the Alamodome will be between $20-$40/game. Most of that would be the hotels and parking garages not attached to Alamodome charging the higher prices.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived