Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

I give this Memphis husband and wife credit for trying a Memphis Express/AAF podcast.

https://memphisaaf.com/podcast/memphis-express-season-tickets-2/

They had the VP of Ticket Sales and Operations on.  He guy came there from the Cincinnati Reds and previously worked for the Heat, and The Aspire Group, a company which colleges/MiLB use to outsource ticket sales.  

He said that Memphis has 18 staff currently in the city and he was hiring more sales staff, nearly all where coming from outside of Memphis.  

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orlando finally announces the coaching staff.

https://aaf.com/apollos-expand-coaching-staff/

Yes, lots of Gator ties,

There was talk of Spurrier wanting to wait another three weeks for some college coaches whose HC were fired so to add to the list of candidates.

Staff includes David Reaves, who was to be Oregon's OC under Willie Taggert before his DUI arrest. His late dad, QB Jon Reaves, faced addiction issues himself until his death.

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Staff includes David Reaves, who was to be Oregon's OC under Willie Taggert before his DUI arrest. His late dad, QB Jon Reaves, faced addiction issues himself until his death.

Love the ties back to the Tampa Bay Bandit days when John Reaves played quarterback for Spurrier there.

Ugg, today's "signings".

Hackenberg isn’t the only familiar name on the list of new AAF signings. Former Packers and Colts quarterback Scott Tolzien will also be headed to the new league and, unlike Hackenberg, has NFL starting experience.

Safety Rahim Moore, linebacker Steven Johnson, tight end Wes Saxton and wide receiver DeMarcus Ayers are others with NFL experience who were included on Friday’s list of signings.

Scott Tolzien career NFL stats:

88-146 for 1,065 yards 2TD 9 INT 11 Sacks 3 Fumbles

9 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Ugg, today's "signings".

Scott Tolzien career NFL stats:

88-146 for 1,065 yards 2TD 9 INT 11 Sacks 3 Fumbles

I don't know why you'd say "ugg". A quarterback's relative lack of success in the NFL is irrelevant. Any QB who is good enough to take one snap in the NFL is good enough to play in this league.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't know why you'd say "ugg". A quarterback's relative lack of success in the NFL is irrelevant. Any QB who is good enough to take one snap in the NFL is good enough to play in this league.

Neither a 31 year old Scott Tolzien or Christian Hackenberg are good enough for people to pay $15 to see.  

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

2972236.png&w=350&h=254

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:
6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

2972236.png&w=350&h=254

Overqualified for the AAF.

(Note that this is not a knock on the new league.  If we assume that the new league's level of play will be below that of the NFL, then even the worst NFL player can be expected to do just fine in it.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

21 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Overqualified for the AAF.

(Note that this is not a knock on the new league.  If we assume that the new league's level of play will be below that of the NFL, then even the worst NFL player can be expected to do just fine in it.)

I'm not convinced Nathan Peterman is qualified for his family's Turkey Bowl, let alone a 2nd-tier football league. 

13 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

You know who I sign if I'm running the AAF (and presuming I can)?  Colin Kaepernick.  And I do it whether he can still really play or not - the pub it would generate for the league, positive or negative, would be worth it for their exposure and to some extent, credibility.

They cannot afford him and they cannot afford to have him with their Red State franchise plan.

Plus, Florida rejected Amendment 3, this they're not ready to have sports gambling either.

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

They cannot afford him and they cannot afford to have him with their Red State franchise plan.

Plus, Florida rejected Amendment 3, this they're not ready to have sports gambling either.

But... but... I thought Charlie Ebersol said they were "exceptionally well capitalized..."  ?

Even so, from a PR perspective it'd be a smart play:  no signing bonus, with a shot to make the team offered and nothing more.  If he makes it?  People in backward-ass places have to pay AAF for the privilege of booing his ass.  If he doesn't?  They get the satisfaction of saying "He couldn't even make in the AAF."  In either case, it helps Kaepernick as well, strengthening his discrimination lawsuit against the NFL no matter if he plays a single down or not.

Nope.  This would be a win-win-win, any way you sliced it and no matter the outcome.

nav-logo.png

May be.  But one thing about football players - for the most part, they want to play.  For as long as they can, wherever they can.  If Kaepernick's interested in ever returning to play, anywhere, an AAF deal gives him that.  But again it also gives him leverage in his "blackballed by the NFL" lawsuit, particularly if he starts and plays well in the AAF.

nav-logo.png

So... back to Nate Perelman.

It's accurate that even a bad NFL player (assuming that player should even be an NFL player) is still a fantastic athlete that should be able to dominate lower levels of competition.  So it's very likely that Nate Perelman would do very well in the AAF.

HOWEVAH...  he was sooooo bad in the NFL, that if he were to be good in the AAF, it would expose just how far below NFL level the AAF is.  If I'm associated with the AAF, I'll take pretty much any NFL cut, except any that are so well known (for the wrong reasons) that they'd give people an impression of the league that while accurate, isn't what they want anyone to think.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It's a low-level minor league.  Even winning the championship wouldn't say anything about his ability to play in the NFL.

If he wanted to play, anywhere, he could have gone to Canada when asked.  But running from the fight doesn't help Kaepernick.

I think calling the AAF a "low-level minor league" is disrespectful to all those involved. It's Pro Football. The players are being paid to play, it's professional. The XFL, WFL, USFL, UFL, and yes the American Football League were all professional football leagues. So is the AAF. 

Archived