Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

Unfortunately, whether this league needs it or not. Week 2 is goin to say alot about the future. We already know they wont get the 2.9 rating they achieved last week. These games are on NFL Network(2 of them) TNT and CBS Sports Network. I'm not too hopeful we could see alot 0.5 ratings here lol

Where i expect improvement is in the turnstiles one would hope for at least 40K in San Antonio(the match up is there at least) 35K in San Diego(San Diego misses football? we'll see) 30K in Birmingham. I 'm not counting on Memphis for much but 20K seems acceptable. Obviously, the more fannies we see in the seats makes for a better look on TV. I dont think the world will settle for 20K each game and will only feed more fire for the doomsayers

Naturally, the play on the field should improve but will it be enough to please people who are on the fence about this league....Seems alot of folks throughout the social media world are just finding out about the league. There will be alot of attention which is good but they will need to deliver on the field. Seems to like too much pressure to handle this early on for an upstart league however ill remain hopeful they can do such

Yes YES, Much to be found out here this weekend

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

I think the AAF is trying to create some more publicity for themselves as tomorrow is the last game they'll have on major cable (TNT) for two months and to keep eyes away from the other news about the league which came out on Wednesday in which they admitted they're not getting any TV rights fees.

I don't think this all that damning or even that big of a deal to the league when the league believes it's sitting on a giant revenue source with it's gambling and data technology, similar to what MLB had with MLB Advanced Media.  There's probably some pretty reasonable questions about how viable that is, given some issues the league has had so far (like the app being terrible last week).

IUe6Hvh.png

3 hours ago, mkg74 said:

So that bum who played collegiately at Nevada-Reno apparently wanted $20 miilion to play in the AAF. Did this guy like roll out of bed yesterday after being under a rock for 4 or 5 years still thinking the USFL was around?? SMDH

Well the end result of their little meeting had an obvious outcome. 

He's probably far better than any QB they have, so.....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm glad they took a flyer on Kaepernick. He's probably more talented than every quarterback there save maybe Luis Perez. But, he demanded $20,000,000 because he knew the league wouldn't accept. Kaepernick wants the best deal for him so, I can't blame him. Beyond that, I'm not touching anything else related to Colin's situation with a 39 and a half foot pole.

59 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I'm glad they took a flyer on Kaepernick. He's probably more talented than every quarterback there save maybe Luis Perez. But, he demanded $20,000,000 because he knew the league wouldn't accept. Kaepernick wants the best deal for him so, I can't blame him. Beyond that, I'm not touching anything else related to Colin's situation with a 39 and a half foot pole.

He knows they have a cap that is way below 2nd string QBs but if his narrative is that he's still good enough to play he needs to get on a field and do it. If he did ask for that much he's proved that he's overvaluing his worth. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don’t know that he’s overvaluing his worth. His contention is that the NFL is colluding to keep him from playing (and earning what he’s worth).

IANAL, but Kaepernick takes less money to play in the majors then it may well be seen as an admission that the NFL owners were right about him.

But I totally get why they would want to sign him - he would bring instant attention and credibility to the league.  Pretty sure national networks would be interested in broadcasting Kaep’s first couple games. 

48 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t know that he’s overvaluing his worth. His contention is that the NFL is colluding to keep him from playing (and earning what he’s worth).

IANAL, but Kaepernick takes less money to play in the majors then it may well be seen as an admission that the NFL owners were right about him.

But I totally get why they would want to sign him - he would bring instant attention and credibility to the league.  Pretty sure national networks would be interested in broadcasting Kaep’s first couple games.  

About that: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26004715/colin-kaepernick-eric-reid-settle-grievance-case-nfl

Case is over, maybe a team takes a flyer on Kaepernick and Kaepernick looks a lot smarter for not going to the AAF. Probably the reason he made a deliberately ridiculous offer is because he may have already decided to settle and he was hashing out the details of said settlement.

Q: How does Birmingham sell tickets to their next game on Sunday?

A: They don't.  The police set up a checkpoint and give them away.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2019/02/birmingham-police-birmingham-iron-give-tickets-to-motorists-at-checkpoint-free-football-tickets-actually.html

Some unsuspecting motorists got a surprise Thursday when they were stopped during a Birmingham police traffic safety checkpoint.

They got tickets, but not the kind that usually come with that type of law enforcement operation. Instead, they received free tickets for the upcoming Birmingham Iron vs. Salt Lake Stallions AAF football game.

Iron General Manager Joe Pendry joined officers at the city’s West Precinct about 11 a.m. Thursday to thank them for their service. From there, team representatives went out with police to a traffic safety checkpoint.

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2019/02/birmingham-police-birmingham-iron-give-tickets-to-motorists-at-checkpoint-free-football-tickets-actually.html

A World Football League tactic. Except, they tried to hide that they were giving away tickets rather than say they were giving tickets away for better looking crowds for better optics on TV. This league states that they give away tickets on their own site and writes press releases (this is obviously a press release in part) for the media saying that they are giving out tickets.

24 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Dang.  It's almost like being sentenced to attend an AAF game.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

A World Football League tactic. Except, they tried to hide that they were giving away tickets rather than say they were giving tickets away for better looking crowds for better optics on TV. This league states that they give away tickets on their own site and writes press releases (this is obviously a press release in part) for the media saying that they are giving out tickets.

Not neccesarily a bad thing and not WFL level stuff thankfully, their ticketgate scandal single handidly ruined all their credibility and it was pretty much over for them. They(the police) can go ahead and pull me over for free tickets next week if they please.. 🙂

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Neutral site location for the first year of an 8 team league is an odd choice.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Can't help but think attendance for the championship game won't be all that good. Maybe if Arizona, Salt Lake or San Diego are playing because they're closest to Vegas. Doubt the Vegas locals would care enough to attend knowing the Raiders are coming next year.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

7 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Can't help but think attendance for the championship game won't be all that good. Maybe if Arizona, Salt Lake or San Diego are playing because they're closest to Vegas. Doubt the Vegas locals would care enough to attend knowing the Raiders are coming next year.

Despite the Raiders being a crazy mess, Las Vegas is going to be sitting at the big boys table for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Cheap flights in, plenty of hotel space for what is needed and direct flights in from most of the AAF cities helps keep fan costs down. I just hope thet go with the Super Bowl aesthetic instead of XFL when it comes to field layout. Another aspect of this are the locals who may want to sell the Raiders on coming in a year early by selling out the stadium.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

UNLVTickets.com does not have the seating chart up, but they do have the pricing.

P1 - Center Sideline - $99.00

P2 - Lower Sideline - $79.00

P3 - Upper Sideline - $79.00

P4 - Lower Endzone - $79.00

P5 - Upper Endzone - $59.00

P6 - Lower Pie - $59.00

P7 - Upper Pie - $39.00

P8 - Bleacher - $39.00

Pie means the wedges of the horseshoe end of the stadium which turn towards the goalposts.

Archived