Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

On 3/31/2018 at 11:54 AM, Mac the Knife said:

I might be wholly wrong about this, but I think the NFL's in for one helluva rude awakening when their current TV deals start being renegotiated.  They may wind up with an uptick in overall revenue when all the tallies are in, but I think there are a lot - and I do mean a lot - of other pro sports leagues that are just licking their chops at the prospect of cutting into the NFL's monetary pie.  And unlike in the past, this time the network's are going to consider giving it to them.

I'll call for a friendly wager on this. NFL TV revenues will increase in their next deal.

Guaranteed.

[bookmark] :-)

It's where I sit.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They start out that way in the morning but then diverge.  And I can't :censored: ing stand "The Takeaway", so I switch around to whichever station it's not on.  Although might have to check it out again, now that Hockenberry's gone.

I haven't listened to The Takeaway in years (I mainly listen to WNYC on my morning commute), but I couldn't stand Hockenberry. Not sure if the show is any better now than it was back with him though.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I was actually talking about the death of the NFL. I should have been more specific.

But yes, nothing is permanent.  Huge industries die out.  Either they run out of steam, are surpassed, or are regulated out of existence.  Standard oil, anyone?

But as to television, I don't doubt that broadcast rights will someday be less important than they are now.  But considering we're talking about a league that's trying to get started up in the next couple weeks, broadcast rights are still pretty damned important. 

It doesn't matter to the AAF if television collapses in twenty years, because the league will itself be eighteen years dead by that point.

(And FWIW, I listen to WNYC 820 AM every day.  ;) )

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I listened to AM radio yesterday.

My chief issue with this league is starting a football league in this day and age seems like a risky venture unto itself. Add on all the other obstacles they'll have to overcome and it feels doomed to fail. I could see the NFL going the way of boxing if they don't correct the inherent dangers of the sport and if the NFL has a shelf-life so would any other leagues playing the sport. 

I think the only chance for a hypothetical minor league to survive would be to become a viable alternative as a developmental league for younger players to the NCAA, but the NCAA's slave labor and decades of history with fanbases it feels like that's an even tougher hill to climb than taking on the NFL. 

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

Just curious: why the AM feed rather than the FM feed (93.9 FM)? I haven't listened to the AM feed in years since the audio quality on FM is so much better.

(I'm always jarred whenever switching over to an AM station, since I listen pretty much only to FM and satellite radio only. Was driving down to South Jersey on Sunday while listening to the Yankees game on WFAN, and lost 101.9 somewhere past New Brunswick. Was floored how muffled the audio of the same exact broadcast was on 660 when I switched over to AM. Audio quality, more than anything, is what's killed AM radio.)

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I haven't listened to The Takeaway in years (I mainly listen to WNYC on my morning commute), but I couldn't stand Hockenberry. Not sure if the show is any better now than it was back with him though.

I write out a screed to talk about the slow death of television and with it the inevitable fact that that demise will with it bring NFL television rights fees down from the stratosphere... and you guys threadjack it into a discussion about AM radio.

Well played, gentlemen...  well played.  :D

nav-logo.png

If Blockbuster Video can survive in Alaska, surely AM radio can survive to serve rural areas with its potential for long transmission distances?

28 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

If Blockbuster Video can survive in Alaska, surely AM radio can survive to serve rural areas with its potential for long transmission distances?

There's still Blockbuster somewhere..... get me to a train now.

Radio serves us well in the car, at our nans house ( she has a black and white tele), and when you're camping and you need them scores for your fantasy scores.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Radio as a commercial medium is dying as a whole.  AM is dead (and Sec, to your line about listening to baseball, I can say either "Sirius/XM" or "MLB.com audio subscription"), I run an FM station and realize that band's on life support (though it'll be around probably a quarter century after I'm dead), and I give television a 50/50 chance of being a commercially viable medium in 2050.  Barring electromagnetic pulse, the future's going to be digital streaming, through your laptop, desktop, phone, tablet, wristband video devices, the in-dash entertainment system in your driverless car, eyeglass video screens or whatever new technology they come up in the next half century.  That's not to say there won't be a need for AM, FM or TV in remote locations; it'll just be less and less likely as time goes on and new technologies eclipse them.

56 minutes ago, tigers said:

There's still Blockbuster somewhere..... get me to a train now.

No trains go there.  You need a sled team and some dogs.

nav-logo.png

3 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Radio as a commercial medium is dying as a whole.  AM is dead (and Sec, to your line about listening to baseball, I can say either "Sirius/XM" or "MLB.com audio subscription"), I run an FM station and realize that band's on life support (though it'll be around probably a quarter century after I'm dead), and I give television a 50/50 chance of being a commercially viable medium in 2050.  Barring electromagnetic pulse, the future's going to be digital streaming, through your laptop, desktop, phone, tablet, wristband video devices, the in-dash entertainment system in your driverless car, eyeglass video screens or whatever new technology they come up in the next half century.  That's not to say there won't be a need for AM, FM or TV in remote locations; it'll just be less and less likely as time goes on and new technologies eclipse them.

No trains go there.  You need a sled team and some dogs.

Will a DeLorean do?

13 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

aventador-s-roadster-car.png

If you're going to go... go all the way.

Nice.

Didn't even know they were back. Looks like a cross between a Lotus and a Lambo.

It won't go if I don't have a Doc to go with it though.

The thing about talk about AM/FM or even television 'dying' is that part of the appeal of both mediums is you just turn it on and something's on. Sure, you can go 'search' for something to watch. But, Netflix, Hulu, YoutubeTV, ESPN+, etc isn't just 'on' when you turn on the device. That lack of immediacy is going to be a problem. And also a bigger problem for programs and features and games that AREN'T already well known to the public. Add in the lack of in-broadcast advertisements, how will newer features and what not actually become known to new viewers who've never seen them before?

It almost may become a case of 'the rich get richer', those with a known brand or base will continue to grow larger, while those without the foothold in the public conscious become an impossibly high barrier to overcome for attention.

So far the AAF has confirmed Orlando and Spurrier and now SoCal (San Diego) and Neuheisel.

What cities IES and coaches do you see filling out the 8?

I am going to guess NY/NJ and either Schiano or Rex Ryan.   

44 minutes ago, WideRight said:

So far the AAF has confirmed Orlando and Spurrier and now SoCal (San Diego) and Neuheisel.

Schiano is making $1.5M as DC for Urban Meyer, so his price starts there. He is just on a one year contract though.

The Orlando team is not playing at the Citrus Bowl, but rather at UCF's on campus stadium. As their athletic department does not have to and FOIA requests, it will be more difficult to find out the rent paid per game.

30 minutes ago, WideRight said:

What's your source on San Diego?  I'm not seeing anything anywhere about that one.  Not doubting you; just not seeing anything.

nav-logo.png

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

What's your source on San Diego?  I'm not seeing anything anywhere about that one.  Not doubting you; just not seeing anything.

I dont think a city has been announced yet, but with 2 teams in LA, San Diego works.

7 hours ago, WideRight said:

Not sure of coaches, but the last 6 I'd like to see:

Tulsa or Norman/Oklahoma City OK

San Antonio

New Jersey (Rutgers)

Raleigh-Durham

Shreveport LA

Hartford CT

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived