Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

And Dundon confirms his investment.

The Carolina Hurricanes owner was named chairman of the new Alliance of American Football on Tuesday after stepping in with a $250 million investment to become the league’s primary investor, and the question most pressing in this market has nothing to do with football: How will it affect the Hurricanes?

“It won’t at all,” Dundon said. “Although I talk to (general manager) Don Waddell and I’m involved, I don’t have a day-to-day responsibility and therefore I have lots of excess time. If I didn’t do this, I was going to go buy a company and start running a company again. I needed more to do. I feel like the Hurricanes are in good hands, the business is running well. It’s still something I love and have conversations about and want to keep improving, but it’s not a full-time job. It never really was. It definitely isn’t at this point.”

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/17/2019 at 6:31 PM, See Red said:

Are NFL officials allowed to be in the AAF?  This referee from the SEC, James Carter I think it is, is the first one I've recognized from outside of this league.

AAF is using 8 official, like the NCAA, while the NFL uses 7, as the Umpire is still in the behind the defensive line and there is the Center Judge (where the Umpire in the NFL is)

There is one former NFL official working the AAF. Jim Debell worked in the NFL from 2009-14 and has worked in CUSA since.

The majority of those working the AAF have participated in the NFL's Officiating Development Program, which has them work OTAs, training camps, and the preseason.  There are also three former NFL players who were a part of an NFL officiating program specific to former players to fast track them to FCS/FBS games and then to the NFL working the AAF. 

Football Zebras has the list of officials and their main conference as well as years in the ODP and the biggest game they've worked such a Conference title game, New Year's Six or BCS at one time.

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The AAF may not make it to season two now. 

They almost didn’t make it to week two.

I’d be curious to learn what went wrong.  Was it a problem of always being undercapitalized, or were expenses higher than expected?  Were they counting on revenue streams like merchandising or ad revenues that never materialized?

It’s definitely possible that the league could stabilize with their new cash infusion and survive.  But it really depends on where the shortfall occurred.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I’d be curious to learn what went wrong.  Was it a problem of always being undercapitalized, or were expenses higher than expected?  Were they counting on revenue streams like merchandising or ad revenues that never materialized?

It’s definitely possible that the league could stabilize with their new cash infusion and survive.  But it really depends on where the shortfall occurred.

It's not going to stop the folks from Reddit from posting 100 threads on expansion in season two.

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's both.

On January 21, Sports Business Journal noted their inability to sell advertising before they started, and before Ebersol confirmed that there were no rights fees involved.

Underfunded because the eight teams did not have staff until the fall.  As I said yesterday, Orlando only had three employees on September 1, so most teams didn't have any more than five.  They couldn't "spend money to make money".  For most of 2018, they were only getting $50 at a time with ticket deposits, but were burning cash in a SF office, on tech staff to develop the app, and flying around the country.  The only fixed cost we know of is the team payroll and coaching staff, but we still need to add 30-40% to that number for the cost of insurance alone.  Then we can drill down to the other stuff:  production costs and cost of TV talent, facilities rentals, player housing, off-field staff, merchandise...

Rovell just tweeted that some guys were not paid, but have been since the influx of cash.

11 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I mean they do have $250,000,000 now. 

They HAD $250M or at least a portion of it with more to come over time, but the influx wasn't 100% on Thursday, when they accepted his offer.

It is being used up by the thousands every minute.

Week 2 ratings are unlikely to be out until 10 AM tomorrow.

EDIT: David Glenn, the guy who broke the Dundon story, claimed that the Iron/Stallions game on TNT generated a 0.7 rating.  Neither SportsTVRatings nor SportMediaWatch have posted a number.

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Did the AAF had that much money before they started?

Not sure what their initially had for capital. Clearly they burned through it. I don't imagine they had that much to start when you consider that's a lot more than either XFL 1.0 or UFL burned through in 1 and 4 years respectively. 

Missed payroll....what a surprise. 11,000 in Memphis....something like 18,000 in Arizona...did the league factor in these numbers win their projections? 

The league won't make it to year 2, and neither will the XFL, if they launch at all. If the AAFL makes it to year 2, I expect Memphis will be bound for Raleigh. I think people are sick of fly-by-night leagues.

The four horsemen of the apocalypse:

San Antonio

Wings

Gunslingers

Riders

Texans

Orlando

Blazers

Renegades

Thunder

Rage

Tuskers

Birmingham

Americans/Vulcans

Stallions

Fire

Barracudas

Bolts

Memphis

Grizzlies (Southmen)

Showboats

Mad Dogs

Maniaxx

18 teams among the 4 cities, and if the AAFL fails, it will be 22. 

28 minutes ago, NYC Cosmos said:

Missed payroll....what a surprise. 11,000 in Memphis....something like 18,000 in Arizona...did the league factor in these numbers win their projections? 

The league won't make it to year 2, and neither will the XFL, if they launch at all. If the AAFL makes it to year 2, I expect Memphis will be bound for Raleigh. I think people are sick of fly-by-night leagues.

The four horsemen of the apocalypse:

San Antonio

Wings

Gunslingers

Riders

Texans

Orlando

Blazers

Renegades

Thunder

Rage

Tuskers

Birmingham

Americans/Vulcans

Stallions

Fire

Barracudas

Bolts

Memphis

Grizzlies (Southmen)

Showboats

Mad Dogs

Maniaxx

18 teams among the 4 cities, and if the AAFL fails, it will be 22. 

Also Sacramento and Las Vegas.

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Got a laugh when the AAF fans on Reddit believe that the $250 million cash infusion will keep the league afloat for a few years. 

Hell I’m talking to AAF fans that refuse to believe it’s an emergency infusion of cash. They pooh pooh the whole missing payroll thing as irrelevant because “investment”.

Archived