Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

8 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I guess you're right, but its frustrating to see people refuse to give spring leagues a chance despite how backwards and corrupt the NCAA is.

The NCAA doesn’t have anything to do with it.   Spring leagues begin with a flawed concept - people will support any kind of football, at any time of year - and work down from there.  They look at the popularity of the NFL (and NCAA) and mistake desire for those specific products for desire for the sport in general. 

It’s lke those who have argued Boston should have a second MLB club.  The Red Sox sell out, so that indicates demand must exceed supply, right?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I guess you're right, but its frustrating to see people refuse to give spring leagues a chance despite how backwards and corrupt the NCAA is.

Why should the Market be so frustrating?  They've showed their desire or lack thereof for the last 30 years.

Folks blame residents not going to a game due to: Bad weather, Cost of tickets, Poor marketing and yet lesser numbers attend spring football games since the demise of the USFL.

Networks seem to have even less interest. Yet alt-Stans think every newspaper article, blog, podcast or local TV story about them is, "good".

15 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Not just in terms of attendance and revenue from it, but as reported last month VERY FEW COMPANIES WANT TO INSURE FOOTBALL.

This will always be the big obstacle for any football league, and I don’t see it getting better with more extensive research into the sport’s impact on the body and the brain.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, rainmaker17 said:

Really surprised so many people want this league to fail.  Every other major sport has some form of minor league system, but this is a “joke” or a bad idea?  I don’t get it.  For those who have had their fill of football...don’t watch it.  Sure the AAF didn’t dot every ‘I’ and cross every ‘T’ when it came to a game plan, but It looks a hell of a lot more thought out than 99% percent of the other start up attempts.  I bought tickets for the April 6th game in San Antonio and thinking positively there will be a game to go to.

I don't want the league to fail. I sat through Generals and Knights games. I want the league to succeed even though I am not all that interested in it. Hopefully, if the NFL accepts them as a developmental league, they just don't dump players they signed off the street like they did with the WLAF/NFL Europe. It is interesting because the WLAF/NFL Europe did have some successes – Mike Jones, Kurt Warner, Doug Pederson, etc. I hope this league develops players and coaches in the same way. 

As far as  analytics go. they should have done a much better job on the finance side, building in the possibility of very low crowds. You always look at a worst-case scenario first and build from there. I get they are trying to build regional rivalries. That is a very smart move. But that is something you can't force. I was hoping Louisville got a team. I thing L'ville could support a team. 

I don't know how to really post this while keeping with the board's no politics rules, but I feel it's relevant as there's a lot of internet talk/support for the AAF and people, me included, have used posts from the subreddit r/AAF_Football.

There was another subreddit, r/AAFB, created in response to the posting history and actions of one of the mods of /r/AAF_Football. Here's the link to the discussion about the story and I won't go any further than that here.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/aol3v4/a_new_subreddit_is_created_for_the_newly_formed/

(Mods, do what you want with this post. I admit this may be against the rules, but I think it's another, however small, layer to the AAF on the internet)

IEI5Tg1.png

48 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I don't know how to really post this while keeping with the board's no politics rules, but I feel it's relevant as there's a lot of internet talk/support for the AAF and people, me included, have used posts from the subreddit r/AAF_Football.

There was another subreddit, r/AAFB, created in response to the posting history and actions of one of the mods of /r/AAF_Football. Here's the link to the discussion about the story and I won't go any further than that here.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/aol3v4/a_new_subreddit_is_created_for_the_newly_formed/

(Mods, do what you want with this post. I admit this may be against the rules, but I think it's another, however small, layer to the AAF on the internet)

Wouldn't be a niche subreddit without splintering due to one of the mods being nuts. Pretty slimy to use football to recruit people into your extremist (right-wing or left-wing, right-wing in this case) political movement too.

And of course, there's more about the $250M.

Dallas billionaire and Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, who earlier this week pledged a $250 million investment into the Alliance of American Football, has not yet formally invested that money into the league and has only "committed" to fund that amount over an undisclosed period of time, according to a report by Sports Business Daily.

Two sources told Sports Business Daily that Dundon can stop funding if he decides the investment is no longer worth it.

Sports Business Daily reports, citing multiple sources, that Dundon's agreement was "week-to-week" and that Dundon could stop funding on a moment's notice.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:19 PM, rainmaker17 said:

Really surprised so many people want this league to fail.  Every other major sport has some form of minor league system, but this is a “joke” or a bad idea?  I don’t get it.  For those who have had their fill of football...don’t watch it.  Sure the AAF didn’t dot every ‘I’ and cross every ‘T’ when it came to a game plan, but It looks a hell of a lot more thought out than 99% percent of the other start up attempts.  I bought tickets for the April 6th game in San Antonio and thinking positively there will be a game to go to.

1 - You are confusing 'wanting it to fail' with 'expecting it to fail'. Those are two very different things.

2 - The NFL already HAS its minor league system. It's the NCAA.

It's where I sit.

32 minutes ago, raysox said:

Arizona vs Salt Lake is the first game I'm trying to watch on a platform I don't have(B/R Live), but like I assumed you can just hit Watch Now on the box score on the AAF website and you're in.

Doing play by play is Mark Malone, a name I hadn't heard of in years. 

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Lemme guess, we're going to hear that, "People didn't go because of the weather" trope AGAIN.

Would hold less water in Salt Lake. San Diego considers 60 degrees cold so the fact no one came out when it was in the 40’s and raining is hardly surprising. Be interesting to see how this week goes since weather is back to normal in SD

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Alex Flanagan tries to clean up the mess caught on camera.

Someone said that at the start of the game too. I also caught MJD catching hinself from saying league to Alliance. Malone seems to be lost about where he is at times too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived