Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

48 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

I’m counting as best I can, but I don’t think I’m going to reach 10k.

The crowd wasn't great but it was definitely better than that picture when I watched the second half.  But not 10k people better.

The cold weather seems like a legitimate excuse to me.  If I'm planning on going to a game I know won't sell out, I'm not going to buy early and I'm sure as hell not going if it's 37 degrees out or raining, especially for a team that the best praise you can give them is "they're probably not as bad as their winless record looks" and I have no real attachment to.  They still need to figure out a way to put asses in seats, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, See Red said:

Spurrier alone should be enough to get local Florida fans to show up.

About that.... Did he agree to become the coach of the Apollos before or after his back surgery? Seeing him hobbling around on the sidelines hasn't been easy to watch (especially since I have my own back issue). Don't want to sound like a dick, but maybe he should sit in the coaches box with the coordinators and call plays from up there. He looks visibly uncomfortable walking around.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

11 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

About that.... Did he agree to become the coach of the Apollos before or after his back surgery? Seeing him hobbling around on the sidelines hasn't been easy to watch (especially since I have my own back issue). Don't want to sound like a dick, but maybe he should sit in the coaches box with the coordinators and call plays from up there. He looks visibly uncomfortable walking around.

I agree.  It's sad seeing him hobble around.  With that said, I love his offense.

Crowd doesn't look too great early (editL it's not terrible, though — should be better).  It's amazing how bad this league is at getting people to show up.

IUe6Hvh.png

12 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

He was hired in April 2018 and had surgery in November

20 minutes ago, See Red said:

I agree.  It's sad seeing him hobble around.  With that said, I love his offense.

Crowd doesn't look too great early (editL it's not terrible, though — should be better).  It's amazing how bad this league is at getting people to show up.

It's second tier football. This is what crowds look like for second tier football. 

It's where I sit.

I wish they would consider eliminating punts. This would promote some exciting play on 4th and long outside of field-goal range, such as desperation long bombs, and fake field goals. (There would have to be no returning of short field-goal attempts.) And it would result in a lot of good field position, and increased scoring.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I like that you can watch an all-22 feed of the game on the AAF website.

They should put their technology to good use and show who's subbing in and out of the game on the game broadcast.  They could also show where skill position players are lined up pre-snap.

IUe6Hvh.png

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I wish they would consider eliminating punts. This would promote some exciting play on 4th and long outside of field-goal range, such as desperation long bombs, and fake field goals. (There would have to be no returning of short field-goal attempts.) And it would result in a lot of good field position, and increased scoring.

For punting, just make failed 4th down conversion set the ball 25 yards down field after the play (place at the 1 if less than 26 from endzone). Would be interesting to see how games are called if teams know every set of downs is four plays instead of 3.

1 minute ago, See Red said:

I like that you can watch an all-22 feed of the game on the AAF website.

They should put their technology to good use and show who's subbing in and out of the game on the game broadcast.  They could also show where skill position players are lined up pre-snap.

With their player tracker, they could. Maybe show an in and out list in the bottom above the team names as players come in and out. 

25 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

With their player tracker, they could. Maybe show an in and out list in the bottom above the team names as players come in and out. 

This is what annoys me about the app. I can track players coming on and off the field between plays but I can't get a box score and up to the minute stats unless I'm on the web site. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, See Red said:

If the Apollo's attendance is bad, that'll be a problem. It's 80 degrees and they're the best and most exciting team in the league.  Spurrier alone should be enough to get local Florida fans to show up.

It’s an ok-ish crowd? They announced it as 20,000 and change. 

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For punting, just make failed 4th down conversion set the ball 25 yards down field after the play (place at the 1 if less than 26 from endzone). Would be interesting to see how games are called if teams know every set of downs is four plays instead of 3.

I should add that, if the Alliance eliminated the punt, it should also adopt the CFL's one-yard gap between the offensive and defensive lines. This would dramatically increase the chances of success on a 4th-and-1 or a 4th-and-2.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

This is what annoys me about the app. I can track players coming on and off the field between plays but I can't get a box score and up to the minute stats unless I'm on the web site. 

Orlando Home Game 1: 20,191

Orlando Home Game 2: 20,394

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I should add that, if the Alliance eliminated the punt, it should also adopt the CFL's one-yard gap between the offensive and defensive lines. This would dramatically increase the chances of success on a 4th-and-1 or a 4th-and-2.

I would prefer they keep punting in the game but maybe extend the halo around the returner. But if they went away from that, the 1 yard off the ball makes sense as a way to help the offense. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

One big plus i’ve noticed is the games seem to be getting better. A lot more completions and touchdowns. But that could just be from Hackenberg getting benched and Gilbert setting up to be MVP.

also sidenote: I wanted to play with the app during Salt Lake’s game, and the profile/score I had made was wiped clean. Then when I tried again during Orlando’s game it was back to 0. Very odd.

Archived