Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McCall said:

You have paid attendance, which is what is announced, and gate attendance, which is how many people actually show up. The team itself only announces paid because regardless of whether they show up or not, those tickets were sold, paid for and the team collected money.

That’s not actually the case. 

The nimber announced is not the number of tickets paid for, but the number of tickets distributed.  And if that seems like a minor distinction, consider how easy it is for teams to inflate their numbers under the second formula.  Especially the AAF.

When AAF teams announce they’re donating tickets to local military personnel, they automatically count 100% of those in their attendance number.   It doesn’t matter how many tickets are actually used, or even if they all sit in a stack on the base commander’s desk until next year.

When an AAF team gives stacks of tickets to the local police department for them to distribute at traffic stop checkpoints, the team counts 100% of those tickets towards their game attendance.  It doesn’t matter if the people stopped ever use the tickets the cops gave them, or even if those motorists even heard of the team.

So the attendance number announced is particularly misleading, indicating nothing about how the teams are actually doing.  It doesn’t tell us about their level of support, and it doesn’t tell us about their income stream.  Especially for a league that has already found some novel ways of giving their tickets away.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That was the announced, but do have a bead on the actual?  They aren’t the same thing, and for a league that gives away as many tickets as we know this one gives away....

The stadium holds 44,000 and change for football, so 20,000 and change for last night’s game seems about right. 

Everyone seemed excited about the product, and seemed into the Apollos. So that’s good. They’re 3-0 now, so ideally more people will start showing up, but for a city as burnt by “alternative” leagues as much as Orlando has been? I think the crowd they got and how into the game that crowd got was admirable. 

The atmopshere was comparable to Argos and Ti-Cats games I’ve been to, save for the crowds being smaller. 

The play was a bit sloppier than the CFL, but at the same time? It’s not bad. Just look at that  SB Nation XFL Championship game video. That’s an example of how bad the XFL got, and nothing I saw last night aporoached that level of ineptitude. 

I think the level of play is perfectly acceptable for the kind of football it is, and I wouldn’t mind seeing the league stick around because it’s really not a bad entertainment option. 

Whether there actually is an audience for 2-tier pro football big enough to sustain such a league, however, remains to be seen. The AAF is, overall, probably the best shot to make it work. If the AAF can’t survive then it proves the concept of a 2-tier spring league is fundamentally flawed. 

3 hours ago, McCall said:

Actual gate attendance is more important to the event staff, i.e., concessions, retail, etc. 

On that note...

There were three AAF Shop stands set up (I got a jersey because of course I did). The AAF is centrally owned so I assume all of the proceeds from those shops went to the Apollos/league. 

Concessions though? The stadium belongs to UCF and everyone working confessions was wearing UCF staff uniforms. 

This leads me to believe that the food available was pretty much what you’d get at a UCF game. This isn’t a bad thing (stadium food is stadium food) but it makes me wonder how much, if any, money from concessions the AAF/Apollos get. If UCF personnel are running concessions? It seems like that means UCF, and not the team or league, is getting all of it. 

Which isn’t ideal for a gate-driven league like the AAF. 

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

May 17, 2018 was the day the team was announced. The AAF had from that date to sell seats. They failed and fewer people care about the concept of alt-football.

Tech company or football company, they're underfunded, poorly planned, and that's before getting to the on-field product.

How many people make reservations for dinner at a restaurant that's never packed?

Only if you get a discount and certain you want to go to all 5 games will anyone buy tickets prior to game day.

As for the fan showing up after halftime, that's not exactly unusual to restrict admission after a certain time in the game. Colleges do that. Maybe Utah's ticket policy. They didn't want to paint the field so my guess it's their rules or no games. 

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Georgia State Stadium holds 24,000, so can the Atlanta Legends get at least a half full stadium?

I don't know. Have a feeling this game will have under 10K people in the stands. Second tier team in a major NFL city already seemed like a bad idea. Paired up with the Legends potentially being the worse team in AAF, I'm not too confident about anybody caring enough to go to a game.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

May 17, 2018 was the day the team was announced. The AAF had from that date to sell seats. They failed and fewer people care about the concept of alt-football.

Tech company or football company, they're underfunded, poorly planned, and that's before getting to the on-field product.

I’m not sure what your counterpoint is here dude to my post.

A few assorted observations:

• As predicted, the matchup of black jerseys against purple jerseys looks terrible, and undercuts the credibility which the Alliance is on its way to earning on its merits.

• Taken alone, the Atlanta uniforms are gorgeous. They are as good as the Rams' uniforms.

• At midfield in Atlanta, they should have the crown logo rather than that big wordmark.

• Announcer Ben Holden, talking about Atlanta running back Akrum Wadley, made a funny reference to Seinfeld's Tim Whatley!

• The ceremonial ball placement is done by Vick. Ick.

• I really wish that Atlanta quarterback Matt Simms were wearing no. 11.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

20 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I’m not sure what your counterpoint is here dude to my post.

They cannot draw an audience even though they had nine months to do it. They cannot generate revenue and the Stans (including you) have an excuse after every attendance number is given.  And if you aren't watching, here is the hard camera side from the ATL at first snap.

3DneSnI.jpg

4 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Took Memphis and Salt Lake three weeks to get their starting QB figured out. Atlanta needs to follow suit. 

Memphis really turned a corner last night. They were doing nothing with Hackenberg, but made a game of it once Mettenberger got in there. He’s definitely the Express’ guy going forward. 

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Memphis really turned a corner last night. They were doing nothing with Hackenberg, but made a game of it once Mettenberger got in there. He’s definitely the Express’ guy going forward. 

Yeah, I don't get it.  Simms is clearly terrible -- why not start the kid who played at Georgia?

IUe6Hvh.png

https://www.spurriercruise.com/

Mark your calendar for July 12-15, 2019 for what is certain to be the most fun football event of the year: The Inaugural Steve Spurrier Cruise.

Picture yourself on Royal Caribbean's beautiful msMariner of the Seas, along with fellow Coach Spurrier fans and his entire coaching staff, having fun and in-depth discussions about The Alliance of American Football, The Apollos, the players and more.

The glorious msMariner of the Seas will be visiting the Bahamas (Nassau and Coco Cay - Royal Caribbean's exclusive private island) - and while it's at sea, there will be a tremendous number of all-inclusive exclusives available ONLY to those who reserve a cabin via www.spurriercruise.com.

Exclusive events include Q&A sessions, welcome receptions with the coaches, private excursions, dining with fellow fans and coaches, beach olympics, photo and autograph sessions and plenty of time to schmooze with the Apollos coaches.

Just now, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's not Simms's fault that the Atlanta receivers keep dropping passes that are in their hands.

That's every team's WRs, though.

Birmingham's drop as many as anybody from what I've seen so far and their YouTube QB still moves them downfield.  

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived