Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What this means is that the decisions about who should play are being made by the coach, and not by the marketing department.  This is how it should be.

When you're 0-2, scored very few points, and find yourself down two scores late in a game, it starts looking troubling that you're just sticking with the status quo at QB.

After all, being 0-3 in a 'wide open' league's first year is not a good look and doesn't bode well for the coaching staff. Being on a short leash, and all.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, dfwabel said:

They cannot draw an audience even though they had nine months to do it. They cannot generate revenue and the Stans (including you) have an excuse after every attendance number is given.  And if you aren't watching, here is the hard camera side from the ATL at first snap.

3DneSnI.jpg

Um, yea, I don’t see where I made an attendance excuse at all. I simply said you can’t blame the weather this weekend in Salt Lake because 39 and sunny in the Rockies is a nice day and even said something along the lines of the low attendance being because nobody cares.

I don’t even know what a “Stan” is...is that an insult or a compliment? Honestly, looks more like you are going out of your way to put down the attendance and look at the negative. Is it low? Yes. Will it grow? Who knows. Is the league sustainable if it doesn’t? Who the heck knows that either. Fact is none of us that aren’t on the inner circle of this league know what is what. We can discuss and project, but we don’t know.

14 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

My favorite new rule of the AAF is eliminated kickoffs. I don't understand the purpose of onside kicks when 99% of them fail.

Putting a team in Atlanta seemed like a bad idea and seeing them struggling isn't going to help anyone. If this league makes it to year two, I'd expect the Atlanta team to relocate. Can't expect a secondary football team to succeed in an NFL market.

If there is a second season, I suspect a couple teams could relocate. I agree putting a team in Atlanta was not a good idea. With the recent "bailout" I'd say Raleigh has a good shot.

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Trent Richardson had 17 carries for 46 yards and 3 TDs so the Twitterverse thinks a guy who averages under 3 yards per carry needs to get a camp invite.  Nah man.

And the AAF will talk about how he's a beast but can only show his dive from 3 yards out. The Fleet's Jaquan Gardner earned almost as many yards in one play than Richardson has in 3 weeks. Richardson is a skinny FB and not a RB any more. If he had the ability to catch a pass he would have stayed in the NFL because down the field runners that can't average even 3 yards a rush in the minor leagues should never geet on a NFL roster. San Diego and San Antonio are going in different directions than I thought they would after Week 1. The Fleet defense got after Woodside after he started off with the long bomb score and Marquise Williams looks like a TE that they just handed the ball to and said, "Go play quarterback". There's rust and there's, "Oil can! Oil can!" If Woodside's finger is broken it's up to Williams to go the rest of the way, at least for the next 4-5 weeks. 

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So how many fans do the Chargers get?

30,000. But how many Chargers fans? About half of that. 

13 hours ago, GDAWG said:

the AAF fans on Reddit will spin it into a positive somehow. 

Imagine if that had been inside Mercedes Benz Stadium

I'd imagine that Atlanta United would be pissed about playing a Concacaf Champions League game at Kennesaw State. you do bring up a good point though. Has the Legends and AAF tried to actually have a relationship with the other pro teams in Atlanta? Have other teams done the same in their area? San Antonio has put out commercials on TV but since I haven't been to a Spurs or Rampage game I don't know what level of interaction they have with each other. Having Moose as the GM helps bring in local Cowboys fans that want to remember the old times but that lasts but a second if the team isn't reaching further out past those Cowboy fans. They also have been using the video adboards across town to advertise since Christmas so it wasn't going to be a surprise that suddenly there's a football game at the Alamodome. I'm actually surprised by the amount of Instagram accounts that popped up with AAF Commanders, SACommandersAAF or other such titles specifically following this one team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/22/2019 at 4:31 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Gonna be in Orlando this Saturday to see the Apollos play the Express. It’ll be interesting to see how the atmosphere compares to some CFL games I’ve attended (humidity aside :P )

Humidity aside LOL, this past Satursay in Orlando was brutally humid for February.  

1 hour ago, Skycast said:

Um, yea, I don’t see where I made an attendance excuse at all. I simply said you can’t blame the weather this weekend in Salt Lake because 39 and sunny in the Rockies is a nice day and even said something along the lines of the low attendance being because nobody cares.

I don’t even know what a “Stan” is...is that an insult or a compliment? Honestly, looks more like you are going out of your way to put down the attendance and look at the negative. Is it low? Yes. Will it grow? Who knows. Is the league sustainable if it doesn’t? Who the heck knows that either. Fact is none of us that aren’t on the inner circle of this league know what is what. We can discuss and project, but we don’t know.

You don't need to be within their "Inner Circle" to see the overhead involved in running a football business and that they are not generating the revenue to sustain it. The alt-football Don Quixote and Sancho Panza's will crank up their excuse machine for why none of the league really draws: Bad weather, Poor marketing, Ticket prices too high, Another event in town that night, or did I say poor marketing?

We know their largest expense, the player salaries because every contract is the same.

We know other expenses such as facility rentals since many of them are public documents. UCF's athletic department is not subject to FOIA requests as the state protects such auxiliary corporations on college campuses as private companies.

We know there are no rights fees, but a split of advertising revenue. 

We know their projected attendance because some Team Presidents told their local papers. On average, they're 40% below projections for attendance.  

15 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

You don't need to be within their "Inner Circle" to see the overhead involved in running a football business and that they are not generating the revenue to sustain it. The alt-football Don Quixote and Sancho Panza's will crank up their excuse machine for why none of the league really draws: Bad weather, Poor marketing, Ticket prices too high, Another event in town that night, or did I say poor marketing?

Yea, I'm done with this conversation with you. It seems pretty obvious you are just looking for further platforms to be negative and bash. I haven't disagreed with you yet you still continue to belabor the point.

Enjoy your negativity dude.

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

30,000. But how many Chargers fans? About half of that. 

Stub Hub Center only seats 27,000. And they don't even fill that (even when more than half the fans are opposing fans)

333lkde.jpg

chargers-crowd.png?w=1000&h=600&crop=0

Id say it's generous to say the Chargers get 14,000 people rooting for them every game. 

13 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Stub Hub Center only seats 27,000. And they don't even fill that (even when more than half the fans are opposing fans)

333lkde.jpg

chargers-crowd.png?w=1000&h=600&crop=0

Id say it's generous to say the Chargers get 14,000 people rooting for them every game. 

All I can say to that whole situation is ":censored: You, Spanos"

More stuff...
Darren Rovell reporting.....

JUST IN: Charlie Ebersol and the new football league, the AAF, have been sued by Robert Vanech, who said it was his idea to come up with league and was entitled to 50% ownership. 

Vanech says agreement with Ebersol was ignored, seeks $$ and wants his name part of its history.

In lawsuit against AAF and Charlie Ebersol, Robert Vanech -- who believed he had a "handshake agreement with Ebersol" said much of what he founded about the league was later credited to partner Bill Polian.

And the bombshell.....

Exhibit in lawsuit shows that AAF originally planned to use XFL name & purchase assets from WWE & NBC for $50M.

AAF met with Vince McMahon and he decided to start league on his own.

iq5b7nF.png

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Saturday's games have been flipped.

San Diego@Memphis now 4PM Eastern on B/R Live.

Orlando@ Salt Lake moved to 8PM Eastern on NFL Network

Unless Salt Lake quadruples it's numbers it's going to look pretty weak on TV. The Fleet vs Express will probably be the better game too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't see how the league can survive with these low attendance figures. I understand the logic behind grouping teams in a region. I think part of PR should have been to create more of a rivalry feel between say Birmingham and Memphis. The two cities have played each other in:

WFL

USFL

CFL

XFL

I know that rivalries take time to develop. But part of the push should have been playing up city versus city. Don't get me wrong. I want the league to survive. But I think some of the approaches to growing the league have been ham handed.

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unless Salt Lake quadruples it's numbers it's going to look pretty weak on TV. The Fleet vs Express will probably be the better game too.

The Week 5 game between Orlando and Birmingham, which may be a game of undefeateds is the early Saturday game on B/R Live. It's unlikely to be moved to the primetime window as that is a Fleet home game and I doubt they'll play at 11 AM.

11 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The Week 5 game between Orlando and Birmingham, which may be a game of undefeateds is the early Saturday game on B/R Live. It's unlikely to be moved to the primetime window as that is a Fleet home game and I doubt they'll play at 11 AM.

Too bad. It's also probably out of their hands to move it to Sunday. Maybe TNT can take the game?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived