MLB Players' Weekend Uniform Tweaks (UPDATE: Players' Weekend 2018 Tweaks)

coco1997

Hi everyone,

This is a series I've been wanting to start since last August. When Major League Baseball unveiled their Players Weekend jerseys and caps, the reaction was decidedly mixed. Some uniforms turned out pretty great, while others didn't make much sense. Many were put off by the use of bright neon colors that looked mismatched with the rest of some traditional teams' uniforms. Recently, I decided to try my hand at "fixing" these jerseys. 

Here are the rules I laid down for myself:

- Stay faithful to each team's actual color palette, but use older team colors for diversity's sake  

- Caps with contrasting crowns and bills are allowed

- Use the same block number style to unify the designs  

- Every team gets its name (not state/city) on their jersey 

Some teams will be vastly different, while others will only be slightly tweaked, but every team will be changed at least somewhat. Many thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller and @Victormrey for helping me out with this project. 

Let's start off with one of the more dramatically changed teams, the Arizona Diamondbacks:

Diamondbacks_Weekend_Template.png

For the D-Backs, I decided to embrace the bright color aesthetic and go with a combination of their classic purple and their new, brighter teal/turquoise. I also paired the jersey with their throwback pinstriped pants. 

C&C appreciated! The Braves are up next. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Hi everyone,

This is a series I've been wanting to start since last August. When Major League Baseball unveiled their Players Weekend jerseys and caps, the reaction was decidedly mixed. Some uniforms turned out pretty great, while others didn't make much sense. Many were put off by the use of bright neon colors that looked mismatched with the rest of some traditional teams' uniforms. Recently, I decided to try my hand at "fixing" these jerseys. 

Here are the rules I laid down for myself:

- Stay faithful to each team's actual color palette, but use older team colors for diversity's sake  

- Caps with contrasting crowns and bills are allowed

- Use the same block number style to unify the designs  

- Every team gets its name (not state/city) on their jersey 

Some teams will be vastly different, while others will only be slightly tweaked, but every team will be changed at least somewhat. Many thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller and @Victormrey for helping me out with this project. 

Let's start off with one of the more dramatically changed teams, the Arizona Diamondbacks:

Diamondbacks_Weekend_Template.png

For the D-Backs, I decided to embrace the bright color aesthetic and go with a combination of their classic purple and their new, brighter teal/turquoise. I also paired the jersey with their throwback pinstriped pants. 

C&C appreciated! The Braves are up next. 

The block number font doesn't match the Diamondbacks' typeface at all, but I understand the rationale behind it.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:59 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I love that color combo for the Diamondbacks. 

Agreed! 

Up next are the Braves:

Braves_Players_Weekend.png

I like that the Braves used their tomahawk logo on their cap, but I wanted to brighten up their look a bit, so I used their classic Hank Aaron-era colors. C&C appreciated!

Baltimore is up next!

22 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm surprised how much I like that lighter blue from the later Aaron days. Especially on the cap tomahawk. 

20 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Great start so far! Both really solid designs.

I think if you replaced the yellow for white on the Brave's tomahawk, it'd look even better!

Thanks for the feedback! I've gone and edited the Braves in the original post, swapping the gold for white. 

Next up are the Orioles!

Orioles_Players_Weekend.png

I didn't like that the base of the Orioles' PW jersey was gray, so I made it black and color corrected the orange used. I also kept the Swinging Bird logo but gave them a white front paneled-cap. C&C appreciated.

Red Sox are up next! 

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That's perfect. The switch to a black jersey from grey makes all the difference. 

Agreed!

Posting the Red Sox today too because they're not changed much:

Red_Sox_Players_Weekend.png

Boston's changes are subtle. I color corrected the red and navy and used their arched wordmark. 

Cubs will be up tomorrow! 

On 3/29/2018 at 1:07 AM, Luke13T said:

I don't think the white front panel looks right with the gray pants for Baltimore but everything else looks great!

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on what I could do differently?

With the 2018 season just about underway, I figured there was no better time to post one of the teams kicking off the first game of the season, the Chicago Cubs!

Cubs_Weekend_Template.png

I really liked how the Cubs Players' Weekend uniform resembled the North Siders' '80s road set, so I took that a few steps further, using the Cubs circle logo with thick white outline, era-appropriate sleeve and collar stripes (though I made one of the collar stripes powder blue for contrast) and color correcting the two shades of blue. C&C appreciated!

White Sox are up next!   

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions on what I could do differently?

I assume your basing pants color off of something. If not make the pants white. If so then maybe a gray or orange front panel

23 hours ago, Luke13T said:

I assume your basing pants color off of something. If not make the pants white. If so then maybe a gray or orange front panel

I was basing it on the fact that Baltimore were on the road during Players' Weekend last year and hence wore gray pants. Maybe for the sake of presentation I'll go back and make the Orioles' pants white, because I'd really like to keep the white front paneled cap. 

Today's team is the White Sox:

White_Sox.png

I really liked that the Sox Players' Weekend jerseys were sort of a combination of eras, mixing the block "SOX" wordmark from their '80s set with the color combo they wore in the '50s. However, one thing that bugged the hell out of me was how the "X" on the jersey wordmark was inconsistent with their actual '80s wordmark "X," so I've fixed that. I also went with a white front paneled cap, using their current Spring Training cap logo, and color corrected the red. C&C appreciated!

Cleveland and Cincinnati are up next!  

5 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Great! The Sox jersey was my fav one from the actual set, but with the original "X" it looks even better!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Today we have both the Reds and Indians:

Reds_Players_Weekend.png

Indians_Players_Weekend.png

No big changes to either team, as both jerseys were pretty perfect as is. For the Reds, I removed the drop shadow on the wordmark as a matter of personal taste, and I gave the Indians' cap a navy bill.

The Rockies are up next! 

Today we have the Colorado Rockies:

Rockies_Players_Weekend_Template.png

I disliked the Rockies' PW jersey for the same reason I disliked Baltimore's. I was going to make their jersey black with purple sleeves but soon realized that there still isn't much contrast between their new shade of purple and black, so I decided to make the jersey purple with silver sleeves and a silver cap. I also arched the jersey wordmark because it looks better this way. C&C appreciated!

The Tigers are on deck! 

15 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like this version of the Rockies. Purple and grey/silver with minimal black is the way forward for them in general. 

Thanks! I think the Rockies can pull off being a solely purple and silver team, with silver being used the same way the White Sox use it. 

Moving on to the next team, the Detroit Tigers!

Tigers_Weekend_Template.png

I took a similar route with Detroit that I did with Colorado. The Tigers get a navy jersey with orange sleeves, wordmark and numbers which I color corrected. C&C appreciated!

The Astros are up next!

Today we have one of my favorite teams in the series, the Houston Astros!

Astros_Players_Weekend.png

In my opinion, the Astros had maybe the worst Players' Weekend design of the whole bunch. My biggest issue was that they used a shade of ocean blue unlike anything they've worn before, so I switched it back to navy. Big thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for inspiring me to give the sleeve and collar stripes the tequila sunrise pattern. C&C appreciated! 

The Royals are up next!

Archived