Jump to content

Lids is now selling Turn Ahead the Clock hats


Tigers6884
 Share

Recommended Posts

These are all such trash. Check Hat Club for MUCH better reproductions of these. I picked up the correct version of that Mariners hat (MUSA poly, too) a few months ago and I get a TON of compliments.

uSEwEeu.jpg

 

It’s second on my list of hats I have only to another Hat Club exclusive that just recently dropped put out by a very familiar face around here. 

VXXDiHi.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh it’s worse than a lack of quality control. They don’t care at all if these are wrong. I’ve stated this in these threads earlier but the dude who is heading this for Lids is an absolute clown. It’s been pointed out to him numerous times by numerous sources that the “retro classics” line he’s putting out have many issues and he either mocks them or just flat out ignores them and does what he wants anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

That's nice, but it would've been nicer to buy one while the TATC was still fairly new.

 

The Brewers sold theirs at the time.  I have one from back then, and I ordered one of these - we’ll see how accurate New Era was this time. Their record with the “Retro Classic” line is spotty, ranging from excellent to laughably bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

These are all such trash. Check Hat Club for MUCH better reproductions of these. I picked up the correct version of that Mariners hat (MUSA poly, too) a few months ago and I get a TON of compliments.

uSEwEeu.jpg

 

It’s second on my list of hats I have only to another Hat Club exclusive that just recently dropped put out by a very familiar face around here. 

VXXDiHi.jpg

What color is the underbill on this one? I was hoping to snag one but they sold out in less than five minutes....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both are gray. 

 

 

Speaking of just how awful these are, just look at what the Royals were wearing for the TATC game in 1999.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

 

Ok, not a great photo, but it's pretty clear what's going on here, right? Right.

 

 

Now, with that being said, what the hell even is this nonsense Lids just put out?

oKZMh5T.png

IT'S NOT EVEN THE RIGHT COLOR! THE LOGO IS LITERALLY FACING THE WRONG DIRECTION! (I didn't even notice that at first!) Why even bother making it if it's going to turn out to be SO :censored:ty? This was the ONE thing I was looking forward to seeing in this line, and they absolutely botched it. It's like they didn't have any of the shiny gold material (Which, how? They put out hats with that color bill ALL THE TIME) and just said, "Ehh, silver is close enough. :censored: it. Just go with that because nobody is gonna notice anyway!" And knowing the dude who is running this thing, that's EXACTLY what the conversation went like. This is one of the few TATC caps Hat Club hasn't put out because they've had an issue with the licensing or something, and rather than just shove some worthless crap like Lids is doing, they wait until they can do it right (or at least as close as possible) or they don't do it at all. 

 

I hate this company so much :mad: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Both are gray. 

 

 

Speaking of just how awful these are, just look at what the Royals were wearing for the TATC game in 1999.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

 

Ok, not a great photo, but it's pretty clear what's going on here, right? Right.

 

 

Now, with that being said, what the hell even is this nonsense Lids just put out?

oKZMh5T.png

IT'S NOT EVEN THE RIGHT COLOR! THE LOGO IS LITERALLY FACING THE WRONG DIRECTION! (I didn't even notice that at first!) Why even bother making it if it's going to turn out to be SO :censored:ty? This was the ONE thing I was looking forward to seeing in this line, and they absolutely botched it. It's like they didn't have any of the shiny gold material (Which, how? They put out hats with that color bill ALL THE TIME) and just said, "Ehh, silver is close enough. :censored: it. Just go with that because nobody is gonna notice anyway!" And knowing the dude who is running this thing, that's EXACTLY what the conversation went like. This is one of the few TATC caps Hat Club hasn't put out because they've had an issue with the licensing or something, and rather than just shove some worthless crap like Lids is doing, they wait until they can do it right (or at least as close as possible) or they don't do it at all. 

 

I hate this company so much :mad: 

 

But the bill was silver.

 

 XfihQBS.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tenor.gif

 

Well then! I didn't realize they participated in this event both years. With different uniform sets to boot! My mistake then on that particular example, then. I don't think I've never seen that particular uniform set. 

 

 

 

 

Still hate Lids, though. And most of these items in the Retro Classic line truly have been awful, and they're all imported which sucks too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

Disappointment alert: no Mercury Mets hats

 

Maybe that's because the graphics are raster, compared to the vector graphics used by the rest of the promotion (which are far easier to reproduce, apparently).

 

It's something I heard @ColorWerx say once (either here or on Twitter), so I figured I should put it out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Maybe that's because the graphics are raster, compared to the vector graphics used by the rest of the promotion (which are far easier to reproduce, apparently).

 

It's something I heard @ColorWerx say once (either here or on Twitter), so I figured I should put it out there.

 

Why did they do that, I wonder?

 

And even if they did, it’s not like this logo is terribly hard to re-create:

 

4817493278_800f46587c_o.jpg

 

-bd829228127ad011.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a licensing thing from what I gather. A few different outlets have tried and MLB has told them no way every time. Not quite sure why, but I think it has something to do with not involving the actual city or regular team logo anywhere in the identity package. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Why did they do that, I wonder?

 

And even if they did, it’s not like this logo is terribly hard to re-create:

 

4817493278_800f46587c_o.jpg

 

-bd829228127ad011.jpg

The Mercury Mets cap had "Mets" on the same side of the cap where they now put the New Era Logo.  Yeah, they could have switched their corporate logo to the other side in their "reproduction," but it could also be one reason why they chose not to make the Mets cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

The Mercury Mets cap had "Mets" on the same side of the cap where they now put the New Era Logo.  Yeah, they could have switched their corporate logo to the other side in their "reproduction," but it could also be one reason why they chose not to make the Mets cap.

 

These Retro Classic caps don’t have the New Era logo.  That real estate is there just waiting for the “Mets” wordmark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.