Biggest Downgrades in History

Bruins

21 hours ago, verno said:

The exact opposite!! I hated the Picasso Coyote look!!

I don't get the love for the Picasso Coyote, either.  And, the reality is, they didn't go from the original set to what they have now.  This was the Coyotes best uniform and most certainly an upgrade over the original uniform.  It's been a downgrade since, from losing the hem stripes to what they got now.

090213_bretthull.jpg

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, M4One said:

I don't get the love for the Picasso Coyote, either.  And, the reality is, they didn't go from the original set to what they have now.  This was the Coyotes best uniform and most certainly an upgrade over the original uniform.  It's been a downgrade since, from losing the hem stripes to what they got now.

090213_bretthull.jpg

I agree. The Sedona Red and white was a great look. Introducing black to the mix was unnecessary and complicates a great, simple design.

left-wing-ladislav-nagy-of-the-phoenix-c

I suspect the fondness for that old Coyotes look may be rooted in nostalgia. I happen to be the opposite. Part of the reason I dislike the Coyotes’ original look is that I associate it with the loss of the original Jets. I’ve only recently grown to apprciate the Avs’ 90’s identity for that reason. I’ll never like the Hurricanes, though.

Guest Wizza
4 hours ago, aztex82 said:

I agree. The Sedona Red and white was a great look. Introducing black to the mix was unnecessary and complicates a great, simple design.

left-wing-ladislav-nagy-of-the-phoenix-c

I suspect the fondness for that old Coyotes look may be rooted in nostalgia. I happen to be the opposite. Part of the reason I dislike the Coyotes’ original look is that I associate it with the loss of the original Jets. I’ve only recently grown to apprciate the Avs’ 90’s identity for that reason. I’ll never like the Hurricanes, though.

The old yotes look wasn't the best but the kachina inspired coyote was the coolest! The switch to brick red was a definite plus as they stood out for once amidst a sea of black and 90s designed unis. 

17 hours ago, tommytimp said:

Not Picasso. Kachina.

My bad, me just being lazy, something I'm great at? I just call it the Picasso Coyote because that's what I usually hear it referred as.

On 15/4/2018 at 9:39 PM, Morgo said:

The 2004-07 set looks great, and is certainly an upgrade over what they use now, but I still prefer this.  The colour palette is so unique and attractive :wub:

jjQOS2O.jpg

Like the Canucks' old Orca Bay uniforms and the current Philadelphia Eagles, the Coyotes' original colours were too dark. Having at least two very dark colours on the same uniform is never a good idea. And the Coyotes had too many colours to begin with. 

5 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Like the Canucks' old Orca Bay uniforms and the current Philadelphia Eagles, the Coyotes' original colours were too dark. Having at least two very dark colours on the same uniform is never a good idea. And the Coyotes had too many colours to begin with. 

They have the same colours now, just without Hunter Green, Sienna, Purple and any character what-so-ever.  Saying they have too many colours is subjective too.  I'd rather a new team in a non-traditional market go out of the box with their palette instead of just becoming a 'brick' version of every other red and black team

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

They have the same colours now, just without Hunter Green, Sienna, Purple and any character what-so-ever.  Saying they have too many colours is subjective too.  I'd rather a new team in a non-traditional market go out of the box with their palette instead of just becoming a 'brick' version of every other red and black team

I was referring to the Coyotes' original uniforms. Too many colours is just too many colours. The Atlanta Thrashers were just as guilty. I believe in less is more. The Coyotes' first version of their last uniform was much nicer(with the hemline stripe) with just the brick red and white. Also, brick red is only used by the Coyotes and not by any other NHL team.

On 4/16/2018 at 6:00 PM, verno said:

My bad, me just being lazy, something I'm great at? I just call it the Picasso Coyote because that's what I usually hear it referred as.

No need o apologize, but it bothers me that people still either don't realize or don't care about the inspiration for the original logo and that it has nothing to do with Picasso and everything to do with Hopi folk art.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

14 hours ago, tommytimp said:

No need o apologize, but it bothers me that people still either don't realize or don't care about the inspiration for the original logo and that it has nothing to do with Picasso and everything to do with Hopi folk art.

Interesting: I always knew Kachina’s had associations with Hopi folk art. But your post led me to research a bit further. Paraphrasing from the Wikipedia page, a Kachina is a personification of something found in nature, often with associated familial relationships, etc. 

Makes the representation of a Coyote playing hockey (as a person) all the more relevant. I love this logo a little more now - thanks!!

On 4/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, Morgo said:

Gotta have pride in the black, red, beige, green, brown, and purple.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 10:38 PM, ColeJ said:

i actually really like the brown and orange padres (love the hat and the wordmark)... someone point me in the direction of the unpopular opinion thread?

Ditto. Admittedly they weren't as distinctive, but I think the brown-and-orange Padres looked fine. Same with blue-and-orange. Heck, they even had some character when they had the sand road uniforms. They've never stuck with an identity for too long, but it's only recently that they've really become dull and generic and indecisive.

On 4/15/2018 at 3:59 PM, M4One said:

090213_bretthull.jpg

That Coyotes set was fantastic!  

On 4/19/2018 at 9:49 AM, Satomiblood said:

I might get some guff for this one, but I enjoyed the template of the "Wimbledon" set (top) far more than its successor (bottom). In fact, I think I would've been okay with a green and red version of it.

bogut_narrowweb__300x445,0.jpg

bogut_600_061229.jpg

I'm not a huge fan, personally. But those green and red unis are some of the best the Bucks have ever worn.

Purple and green was the absolute worst. 

Archived