Biggest Downgrades in History

Bruins

I posted this concept I found in another thread. The Yotes keep coming up and i’ve Noticed the love for the Kachina logo but not the muddled colors of the original set. Some people actually seem to want them back but in a cleaner presentation. What does everyone think of something like this? Blending the old style with the current color scheme?images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5qpSas3C96p-hhZK1LJe

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, verno said:

And what was the Elway era Bronco blue? I always loved that shade of blue, kinda between royal and sky.

Me too, and I've always wondered about that? I don't have the facts 100% but from what I've read it's something like this:

Remember that the shade of blue used for trim on the jerseys and pants was notably darker and more "pure" than that of the helmets, which depending on lighting conditions could appear anywhere from (occasionally; see Super Bowl XII) plain royal to light royal to sky blue to even turquoise-ish at times? Officially the Broncos' colors were always orange and royal blue. The weird helmet color was unintentional, the result in limitations on the colors that the manufacturer could design. For whatever reason they couldn't do a regular ol' blue helmet for awhile. Teams that wore royal blue in their uniforms and wanted blue helmets had to choose between navy (hence Giants and Rams having helmets that were a good bit darker than their jerseys) and light royal. It probably bothered people less with Denver than with the other two cases because the Broncos never wore blue jerseys in that time, so the mismatch wasn't really emphasized in the uniforms. 

However, that having been said, I too loved that shade of blue, and always kind of wanted to see them embrace it on the uniforms too. It was unique (although it wouldn't have been if another royal blue team had chosen it over navy) and just a really nice color, and I especially liked that it could appear different colors at different times. The Broncos have never seemed terribly proud of this quirk, either during its tenure or since; the Super Bowl end zone helmets were always proper royal blue. I wish the team would acknowledge this little quirk and bring it into the light. It made them look distinctive in a uniform with a very standard design in all other aspects.

On 6/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, NicDB said:

I'm not a huge fan, personally. But those green and red unis are some of the best the Bucks have ever worn.

Purple and green was the absolute worst. 

I maybe in the minority, but I have to disagree with you.  The Bucks 1993-06 colors were my favorite.  Loved their purple and the forest green as their secondary color.  Add a touch of silver/gray to their color scheme and it was a beaut.  Makes me want to purchase a Ray Allen purple Bucks jersey on Ebay.

On 6/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, Vitalogy26 said:

I posted this concept I found in another thread. The Yotes keep coming up and i’ve Noticed the love for the Kachina logo but not the muddled colors of the original set. Some people actually seem to want them back but in a cleaner presentation. What does everyone think of something like this? Blending the old style with the current color scheme?

Maybe the concepts forum would be a better place to get feedback on your concept.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Maybe the concepts forum would be a better place to get feedback on your concept.

Not my concept - I posted it here because I saw a lot of people talking about the coyotes brand and thought it would further that conversation. 

On 6/23/2018 at 4:08 PM, bucky_bleichert said:

this is the one that immediately came to mind when i saw the thread title

While I totally agree with this, I would add the kicker that the next change was just as bad a downgrade. I will take pajama cartoon rockets over faux team china unis any day.

wide-receiver-larry-fitzgerald-of-the-arwide-receiver-larry-fitzgerald-of-the-ar

larry-fitzgerald-of-the-arizona-cardinallarry-fitzgerald-of-the-arizona-cardinal

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the old "chicken head" Cardinal logo to the newer angry looking one. Not saying the logo update was a downgrade like the uniforms, but for some reason, I have a special place in my heart for the chicken. It'd be interesting to see what the old logo looks like with the new brighter shade of red.

st_lous_cardinals_1970-1987.pngarizona_cardinals_2005-pres.png

2 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Boring to ugly.

I'd assume most would take the former, but I'd pass on both. This franchise has never looked great.

Agreed. While the new set is over-piped and dated, it at least has an identity. It makes me think about Fitzgerald making flashy catches. The old uniform boring and ugly and could be a practice jersey. I also am not a fan of simply slapping a state flag on the sleeve. If you built and ID around the Arizona flag, that could be awesome, but that jersey sucks IMO.

But the fact that the old version of the logo has any sort of following when it literally just looks like a :censored:ty rendering of their current, quite possibly perfect, logo is baffling.

I liked the St. Louis/Phoenix uniforms that had sleeve stripes and black trim on the road uniforms but none at home. The best was when they had the Arizona flag, striping, AND bird head all at once: 

3373-869388Fr.jpgrunning-back-garrison-hearst-of-the-phoe

I'd love to see that again. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, Ditka said:

wide-receiver-larry-fitzgerald-of-the-arwide-receiver-larry-fitzgerald-of-the-ar

larry-fitzgerald-of-the-arizona-cardinallarry-fitzgerald-of-the-arizona-cardinal

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the old "chicken head" Cardinal logo to the newer angry looking one. Not saying the logo update was a downgrade like the uniforms, but for some reason, I have a special place in my heart for the chicken. It'd be interesting to see what the old logo looks like with the new brighter shade of red.

I wouldn’t say the cardinal looks angry, he looks more determined.

9 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Agreed. While the new set is over-piped and dated, it at least has an identity. It makes me think about Fitzgerald making flashy catches. The old uniform boring and ugly and could be a practice jersey. I also am not a fan of simply slapping a state flag on the sleeve. If you built and ID around the Arizona flag, that could be awesome, but that jersey sucks IMO.

But the fact that the old version of the logo has any sort of following when it literally just looks like a :censored:ty rendering of their current, quite possibly perfect, logo is baffling.

There should be a relatively easy fix/update. Keep the modern bird head and number font, but lose the random piping and the swooshy panels, and replace them with classy sleeve stripes on the home and the popular Arizona flag on the road. All of a sudden you'd have a modern uniform that had an identity.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I loved the previous Cardinals look, particularly with the two (or three...) stripes o the pants.

The plain red jersey just looked good and I liked that the white one looked different and had a bit more going on.  I never liked the AZ flag being on it...I liked it in St. L but obviously a large stripe pattern plus logo would not have made it too long.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 6/27/2018 at 5:59 PM, Ditka said:

Agreed. I'd take the "boring" before the ugly. And you're not the only one who prefers the old logo to the newer angry one, I like it better as well. 

Archived