Jump to content

Biggest Downgrades in History


Bruins
 Share

Recommended Posts

It sucks to lose one of the older teams in the sport, but they really should have done a total rebrand - either when they moved to Phoenix, or changed to "Arizona".  Maybe it's east-coast bias, but Arizona isn't looked at as a "traditional" market (at least when it comes to NFL/MLB/NHL) and it was a bad idea to try and force one of the most traditional identities into it.  In the current era, when teams go out of their way to come up with all kinds of local tie-ins when coming up with new brands, it would have been a good opportunity to adopt more regionally-appropriate (even if cliche) colors, which could necessitate a name change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It sucks to lose one of the older teams in the sport, but they really should have done a total rebrand - either when they moved to Phoenix, or changed to "Arizona".  Maybe it's east-coast bias, but Arizona isn't looked at as a "traditional" market (at least when it comes to NFL/MLB/NHL) and it was a bad idea to try and force one of the most traditional identities into it.  In the current era, when teams go out of their way to come up with all kinds of local tie-ins when coming up with new brands, it would have been a good opportunity to adopt more regionally-appropriate (even if cliche) colors, which could necessitate a name change.

yeah, i still cant figure out why the Utah Jazz ever kept their name or the Los Angeles Lakers either for that matter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It sucks to lose one of the older teams in the sport, but they really should have done a total rebrand - either when they moved to Phoenix, or changed to "Arizona".  Maybe it's east-coast bias, but Arizona isn't looked at as a "traditional" market (at least when it comes to NFL/MLB/NHL) and it was a bad idea to try and force one of the most traditional identities into it.  In the current era, when teams go out of their way to come up with all kinds of local tie-ins when coming up with new brands, it would have been a good opportunity to adopt more regionally-appropriate (even if cliche) colors, which could necessitate a name change.

The desert cardinal is a thing. I really think this should happen to the Arizona Cardinals:

Cardinalis_sinuatus_3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The desert cardinal is a thing. I really think this should happen to the Arizona Cardinals:

Cardinalis_sinuatus_3.jpg

 

Wow! I’ve never seen that before! So what would the scheme be? A Washington state-esque silver and red scheme? Or more gray and red? My interest has been piqued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vitalogy26 said:

 

Wow! I’ve never seen that before! So what would the scheme be? A Washington state-esque silver and red scheme? Or more gray and red? My interest has been piqued.

I see the new color as somewhere between brown and gray. Somewhere in this neighborhood: Pantone Warm Gray 6 CP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

So that plus red?

Yup. Swap out black in the current identity for a brownish gray. Black probably could/should stay as an outline color for the logo, though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Yup. Swap out black in the current identity for a brownish gray. Black probably could/should stay as an outline color for the logo, though.

 

Make the facemask brownish-grey too? 

 

Might need black outlines on the uniform too, if the contrast with the red isn't strong enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Make the facemask brownish-grey too? 

 

Might need black outlines on the uniform too, if the contrast with the red isn't strong enough.

As I was running through this rebrand in my head, I thought it was somewhat similar to the Bucs' post-creamsicle era... red and "brown" feature prominently. In addition to the 90s Bucs, the Bills(navy) and Cowboys(black?) have thin outlines to help contrast; it doesn't hurt the big-picture view, but I don't think it always works close up. There's different approaches, to be sure. The Lions have just rolled with the low contrast. Maybe the Cardinals could go double brown. There might also be a design solution instead of adding more colors... being careful with which colors touch each other and using bigger blocks of color will help with contrast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

As I was running through this rebrand in my head, I thought it was somewhat similar to the Bucs' post-creamsicle era... red and "brown" feature prominently. In addition to the 90s Bucs, the Bills(navy) and Cowboys(black?) have thin outlines to help contrast; it doesn't hurt the big-picture view, but I don't think it always works close up. There's different approaches, to be sure. The Lions have just rolled with the low contrast. Maybe the Cardinals could go double brown. There might also be a design solution instead of adding more colors... being careful with which colors touch each other and using bigger blocks of color will help with contrast.

You should throw together a mockup and post it in Concepts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now on to another team the Astros being named the Astros go for a sleek aerodynamic look for their team in the mid-late 1990s. Then they screw it up once they get their new Magnum Opus they call Minute Maid Park. Because “new stadium new uniforms” I personally don’t think the brick fits the Astros and they should either go astronaut like or  tequila sunrise or stick with the current

Edited by Denver_The_Sinaloa
Grammar mistake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Denver_The_Sinaloa said:

Now on to another team the Astros being named the Astros go for a sleek aerodynamic look for their team in the mid-late 1990s. Then they screw it up once they get their new Magnum Opus they call Minute Maid Park. Because “new stadium new uniforms” I personally don’t think the brick fits the Astros and they should either go astronaut like or  tequila sunrise or stick with the current

I also thought their '90s duds were pretty sharp, and fit their name pretty well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I also thought their '90s duds were pretty sharp, and fit their name pretty well.

 

I always thought the lines on that "open star" logo were too thin.  It was like some high school kid's weak moustache. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

 

I always thought the lines on that "open star" logo were too thin.  It was like some high school kid's weak moustache. 

Now I can't get that association out of my mind. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2018 at 10:17 PM, MCM0313 said:

Me too, and I've always wondered about that? I don't have the facts 100% but from what I've read it's something like this:

 

Remember that the shade of blue used for trim on the jerseys and pants was notably darker and more "pure" than that of the helmets, which depending on lighting conditions could appear anywhere from (occasionally; see Super Bowl XII) plain royal to light royal to sky blue to even turquoise-ish at times? Officially the Broncos' colors were always orange and royal blue. The weird helmet color was unintentional, the result in limitations on the colors that the manufacturer could design. For whatever reason they couldn't do a regular ol' blue helmet for awhile. Teams that wore royal blue in their uniforms and wanted blue helmets had to choose between navy (hence Giants and Rams having helmets that were a good bit darker than their jerseys) and light royal. It probably bothered people less with Denver than with the other two cases because the Broncos never wore blue jerseys in that time, so the mismatch wasn't really emphasized in the uniforms. 

 

However, that having been said, I too loved that shade of blue, and always kind of wanted to see them embrace it on the uniforms too. It was unique (although it wouldn't have been if another royal blue team had chosen it over navy) and just a really nice color, and I especially liked that it could appear different colors at different times. The Broncos have never seemed terribly proud of this quirk, either during its tenure or since; the Super Bowl end zone helmets were always proper royal blue. I wish the team would acknowledge this little quirk and bring it into the light. It made them look distinctive in a uniform with a very standard design in all other aspects.

Check out Ford's 2011-12 Grabber Blue on the Mustang. It's a brighter version of the previous Denver Bronco blue, but a return to something similar could be interesting.

 

My rock-filled head is still unable to download images to this site, l honestly tried, though. BTW, l purchased the Performance White GT in 2010, but seriously considered the Grabber Blue. My wife assured me that she would hate the Grabber Blue, but it's my car...............?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, verno said:

Check out Ford's 2011-12 Grabber Blue on the Mustang. It's a brighter version of the previous Denver Bronco blue, but a return to something similar could be interesting.

 

My rock-filled head is still unable to download images to this site, l honestly tried, though. BTW, l purchased the Performance White GT in 2010, but seriously considered the Grabber Blue. My wife assured me that she would hate the Grabber Blue, but it's my car...............?

Wow. That's gorgeous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Wow. That's gorgeous. 

The Grabber Blue is better in person, brother!!!!!! Maybe two clicks darker........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Wow. That's gorgeous. 

And my Mustang's Performance White? Nose up to your refrigerator, look deeply...........Done!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2018 at 5:13 PM, Cosmic said:

The desert cardinal is a thing. I really think this should happen to the Arizona Cardinals:

Cardinalis_sinuatus_3.jpg

Ya know, my first college out of high school, their colors were Cherry and Grey. No black outlines, no brown, simple bright red and flat silver. Just the "flattest", most unimaginative grey/silver you could think of!!!! And on the basketball unis, (no football team,) amazing!!!! AZ Cardinals, any thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.