Warriors to Keep Golden State Name Despite 2019 Move to San Francisco

B-Rich

Smart move, you say the name Golden State and people know exactly what you are referencing. It's actually more uniquely identifiable in American sports than the Warriors portion of their name.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

"Our city is in debt and giving millionaires free land and tax money probably isn't going to actually help us out"

So growth is out?

Building a stadium, new transport infrastructure, new shops, new facilities for other sports to train or play in (including the basketball) and as a whole a new satellite suburb.

I'm sure the 'free land' could have been loaned at a cost to establish so many new jobs.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

13 minutes ago, tigers said:

So growth is out?

Building a stadium, new transport infrastructure, new shops, new facilities for other sports to train or play in (including the basketball) and as a whole a new satellite suburb.

I'm sure the 'free land' could have been loaned at a cost to establish so many new jobs.

Ooh, we got a live one!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I tried once. It didn't take. Went about like this:

Me: "They're playing the Dubs."

Friend: "Who?"

Me: "The Dubs."

Friend: "... What?"

Me: "Golden State."

Friend: "Oh. What did you call them before?"

god, even in text, that is unhealthy levels of cringe

53Ocz8U.png

Here's part of the problem with "Golden State": they play in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, and (will) play in one of the most well-known and recognizable cities in the country, and yet their name doesn't indicate that at all. It's a generic nickname for the largest state in the union - a state that has four or five 'major league' metro areas in it, and seven or so "major league" cities.

"Golden State" could be from anywhere in the state - is it Anaheim? LA? Sacramento? Inland Empire? Bakersfield?! There's nothing that says "San Francisco" or "Bay Area" about it at all. When I was a young kid and first heard of the "Golden State Warriors," my first thought was that they played in Sacramento, since it's a lesser known city and is the state capital. Then I remembered the Kings play there, and couldn't figure out where the heck the Warriors played. I figured they might've been in Anaheim, San Diego, or perhaps even some city I had never heard of (as an East Coast kid 3,000 miles away).

I remember actually being quite surprised when I heard they played in Oakland, right across from San Francisco - why wouldn't they use Oakland like the Raiders and A's, or San Francisco, in the same fashion that the Giants and Jets use "New York"? "Golden State" has always come across as being overly vague and hard to identify with, at least to me. 

13 hours ago, DDR said:

No dumber than New England Patriots.

13 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

Actually it is.  New England is the proper name of that group of states.  Golden State is an informal nickname.

Also the Patriots are the only NFL team in New England, while there are three other NBA teams in the Golden State.

2 minutes ago, rxmc89 said:

Also the Patriots are the only NFL team in New England, while there are three other NBA teams in the Golden State.

giphy.gif

Have a great day. Go Pats! Go Dubs!

Lost in all this is exactly why they were called "Golden State" instead of "Oakland" or "Bay Area"  in the first place.

Warriors owner Franklin Mieuli was trying to keep the franchise afloat in tough times.  Before the 1971 season, he decided he was going to split the team's home games between the Bay Area and San Diego, which had just lost its own NBA franchise (the Rockets, to Houston).   But with a split that wide, he couldn't call them Oakland, San Francisco or even Bay Area.  Mieuli also thought calling the team the "California Warriors" would sound too much like the Cal Bears of UC Berkeley, so he went with something totally different: Golden State.

Of course, that first year as "Golden State" the team only played SIX games in San Diego, and none after that, but the team has been stuck with the name since.

It is what it is.

22 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Before the 1971 season, he decided he was going to split the team's home games between the Bay Area and San Diego, which had just lost its own NBA franchise (the Rockets, to Houston).   But with a split that wide, he couldn't call them Oakland, San Francisco or even Bay Area.  Mieuli also thought calling the team the "California Warriors" would sound too much like the Cal Bears of UC Berkeley, so he went with something totally different: Golden State.

Huh, I didn't know that. Interesting info! 

Though it is kinda funny that he didn't want to call them the California Warriors because that would sound too much like a local college team. So he went with the even more college sounding Golden State Warriors. 

I'm sure the decision to keep the name is a combination of 2 things: GSW being an internationally recognized brand now with their success (the same reason the Bulls will NEVER change their logo) and the owners afraid of completely alienating the Oakland/East Bay fan base.

Sure, the dollars lost there doesn't compare to the multinational audience that watches them now, but we're very resentful of SF in the East Bay. A lot of people are still pissed about the move to Chase Center and changing the name to SF would have been a deal breaker for more than a few people.

If they weren't afraid of losing the East Bay, they never would have rolled out those "The Town" jerseys this year.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

16 hours ago, Wings said:

The logo will have to go since it's the Oakland side of the bay bridge. No more bridge logos.

I'm pulling for the team to switch its moniker from the Golden State Warriors to the Golden Gate Warriors, replace California Golden Yellow with International Orange in its color scheme, and swap out the Bay Bridge for the Golden Gate Bridge in its logo.

:P 

Wish the NBA had said "no, you're not playing games in San Diego, that's dumb" in the first place, but this was when the NBA was so small-time that you could shoot around with the Kansas City-Omaha Kings at a local gym and no one thought it was weird.

8 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

A patriots and warriors fan?hm.gif

Either way, both are meh sounding but have a unique branding that's fuelled by success. GS and NE will never be gotten rid of because of bandwagoners

I’m not a fan of either team.

6 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'm pulling for the team to switch its moniker from the Golden State Warriors to the Golden Gate Warriors, replace California Golden Yellow with International Orange in its color scheme, and swap out the Bay Bridge for the Golden Gate Bridge in its logo.

Using the Golden Gate Bridge would be a lot better. No one cares about the Bay Bridge. My list of suggestions would be that, San Francisco Warriors, and Gotham instead of Copperplate.

Archived